Assumption at Your Parish or Cathedral -
  • chonakchonak
    MJO can fill in more later, but it's a Mass celebrated by a bishop.
  • Greg -
    I'm sorry - I stand to be corrected -
    A ponitfical mass is one celebrated by a bishop.
    If I am mistaken in this I know that correction awaits.
  • Ghmus,

"Pontifical" means "celebrated by the bishop"
  • if you're not singing Propers or Ordinary, why is there any singing at all?

Chris, in the traditional understanding of the Liturgy, there is nothing that precludes one from adding music to the Low Mass to add additional solemnity. Your question is answered when you indicated that you occasionally do Low Mass with organ. An equivalent question would be: "Why is there any organ at all, if the Mass is a Low Mass?" Perhaps a better question would be: "Why isn't there more singing at Low Masses celebrated in TLM parishes today?", although I think that answer is because many lay people incorrectly assume that a Low Mass means that music is necessarily excluded.

Something that is particularly available during Low Mass (in opposition to the Sung / High Mass) is the use of pieces in the vernacular - in some cases, pieces that might otherwise not see much usage in an TLM parish... Eucharistic hymns in particular, but also hymns geared to the Offertory... although some TLM parishes (unfortunately, IMO) appear to encouraging such usage at the more solemn celebrations as well, referencing the exception that Pius XII allowed for existing custom where it could not easily be undone as the basis for starting new customs.

Although I'm not frequently in a situation where I would sing at Low Mass, I certainly have at times past, whether in the vernacular or in Latin.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • ARod77
    Chris Garton-Zavesky,

Our situation is a little like the one StimsonInRehab is describing, although our priest's homilies are not particularly long! Our priest is not much of a singer and the small choir, as it is, does not have sufficient time to practice propers on a regular basis. However, we have people who are willing and able to sing. So, why not have them sing? It may not be ideal, but they are still able to beautify the Mass and edify the congregation with music even without singing the propers and the ordinary.
  • MarkB
    Video highlights of Mass at our parish:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIBVZQlO780

Thanked by 1CHGiffen