• rogue63
    From the St. Romanos Psalter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94mnAGCGLsU

This is from an ongoing composition project. Recorded live on my iPhone. Feedback welcome and appreciated.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • chonakchonak
    The harmony on the second note of the refrain ("to-") sounds unclear to me; would changing the melody note to "ti" help? Anyway, I like it overall.
    Thanked by 1rogue63
  • rogue63
    Thanks! It's actually a passing tone in the alto line; part of a descending suspension chain. Hard to hear on the recording.
  • dhalkjdhalkj
    Why is it that you are using some other response than the one that goes with this psalm?
  • rogue63
    It's the appointed antiphon from the Lectionary.
  • kevinfkevinf
    I like it.
    Thanked by 1rogue63
  • Andrew_Malton
    One of the (not few) places where the US lectionary and the Canadian disagree on the response. The Ordo Lectionum agrees with Canada this time. All three agree that this response is proper for OT14A and for Easter 5C.

Edited: Not OT14A nor Easter 5C as above, but rogue63's list below for Ps 95.
    Thanked by 1rogue63
  • rogue63
    Right! I was only thinking of 'Murica. Anyway, it was a pleasure to write; and it actually occurs 5 times in the US Lectionary:

Lent III A (Ps. 95)
    4 OT B (Ps. 95)
    18 OT C (Ps. 90)
    23 OT A (Ps. 95)
    27 OT C (Ps. 95)

Antiphon is the same in all examples; but Psalm 90 is used for 18 OT C only. A nice alignment of readings---the preaching on vanity from Ecclesiastes, Ps. 90, Colossians 3 ("if you were raised with Christ, seek what is above..."), and the parable of the rich man with overflowing barns.

This is a totally syllabic setting; no melismas. I think English sometimes doesn't bear melismas well; especially in short antiphons like this. Occasionally, yes, or to highlight a word or finish a phrase, but our language is too punchy and bark-y to hold up the glorious and liquid melismas found in the Graduale. On the other hand, English does hymnody and short antiphons really well, especially when set syllabically like mine above.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Nice, from the little I can make out of the recording on these speakers. The first repetition of the refrain is always a dangerous spot and our Guilmont books are much marked with pencil. I tried to foolproof this one from OT 17 with an upbeat rest.