Bridal Procession
  • Liam
    The problem for musicians is familiarity (from rehearsing and programming repeititon) breeds contempt. PIPs are less vulnerable to that.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CCooze
  • agincourt
    I wouldn't object to How Great Thou Art...not my favorite but presumably some indication that the bride is interested in a religious rite and not just a fashion show which is a good thing. And I think it good to be lenient with couples (though a line gets drawn sometime) as it is a chance for a little evangelization...if only to make the couple feel welcome in the parish versus overwhelmed with the "parish rules" on weddings. re: canon in D - I think it was also background music in a GE lightbulb commercial from years back and that contributed to its popularity as well. The problem arises when different parishes in the same diocese have different rules (or no rules)...and so what passes muster at St. A's doesn't at St. B's and suddenly the bride (or the mother of the bride) is unhappy.
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    The flip side, though, is that if as a liable-to-get-tired-of-it musician I can still enjoy playing, say, the Widor toccata as a postlude for Easter morning, I can rest assured that that this shouldn't be a problem with anyone else.
  • Liam
    An organist may yearn to do Mulet's Esquisses Byzantine (and while you're at it, all ten movements) rather than the Widor Toccata, but most PIPs aren't sharing that yearning.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Let me ask this question of all the married gentlemen on this topic, as an aside:

1) Are you in a mixed marriage (by which I mean, did you marry a non-musician)?
    2) Was the choice of music at your wedding your choice, or hers?

CLARIFICATION: I'm asking because I've grown up under the impression that the details of the wedding ceremony (including music) are the decision of the bride exclusively. Didn't know how true this is.
  • BenBen
    I married someone who was relatively unmusical, and I did most of the choices for the music (Monteverdi polyphonic ordinary, Gregorian propers, 4 paid ringers) and liturgy (pontifical Mass at the throne). In short, I handled most of the Mass, and she handled the reception. It worked well for us.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Stimson,

I married someone who is relatively unmusical.
  • In my experiences both fiancés were most of the time rather equally involved, and there seemed to be mutual respect for each other's proclivities. Most parties have been keen on hearing my recommendations and choosing from my reportorial menu. Some have asked for (and not got) Mendelssohn and Wagner, or even worse. By far, most were pleasant and respectful. Most treasured by me were those who came with some things they really wanted badly - such as Palestrina, Bach, chant, etc. These were memorable and contributed enormously to my memory bank of beautiful encounters.

The relatively few in which only one of the couple was involved were without fail the ones in which only the bride-to-be herself came and held undisputed sway. Never ever the other way 'round. I always resented this preposterous presumption and all that it implies about the relationship enormously (greatly enormously!). These, though, have been a minority in my experience.

Only a very few times did I have to play Mallotte's Lord's Prayer or Schubert's Ave Maria. My worse wedding was decades ago. It was the one which took place in Houston at 4.00 on a Saturday afternoon and I, suddenly and in great alarm, at about ten of five blurted out in great angst to my priest friend whom I was visiting forty-five miles away (I believe that we were enjoying nice gins and tonic) that I was supposed to be playing a wedding. I must say that never was I treated later with such kindness and forgiveness by both pastor and couple. I to this day cannot believe that this happened to me - or that I let others down so badly on such an occasion.

Most of my weddings have been either neither-here-nor-there or very greatly rewarding musically and spiritually. There is one constant - in whatever ritual or liturgy I serve, I offer my best, for, more than pleasing and aedifying people, our offering is really to the All Holy, and we stand as the heirs of the temple Levites in all, all, that we do - gracing the Lord's worship with our finest performance and craft. Weddings are no different. The best of them are those whose brides and grooms know this and live it.

To be sure, there are those to whom the music is just another part of the scenery, like flowers, monogrammed napkins, the guest register, and other stuff. With these one may yet be satisfied with oneself knowing that his attitude about it was, after all, what it should have been for a holy ritual that took place in the Lord's House. Then, there are those who appreciate deeply the offering of one's God-given talents. I have had people come up to me thirty years after a wedding I played for when they were in their twenties and exclaim with great awe and respect 'Oh! You played for our wedding - and we still remember the beautiful music'. Its such moments as these that make one grateful for the vocation that God gave him. Such a calling deserves a daily Te Deum.
  • [Arcane sidebar warning]

Jackson,

Should the plural of fiancé have the feminine form, or the default masculine, or is it impossible to cover them both with one word?
  • [Reponse to Arcane sidebar warning]

Christophe -

Je ne sais pas!
  • How Great Thou Art is a strange choice, but I've done weddings with all Beatles music so there's that...

When someone wants Canon in D and requests to hear it (because some of them will...) you give them this link. This is how Canon in D should be performed. Then see if they still want it.

https://youtu.be/MtZjROpBReM
  • Liam
    Or you could tell them that the work was picked up out of relative obscurity for the soundtrack of Ordinary People and . . . does the bride really want to be Mary Tyler Moore in that movie? That marriage didn't make it after all.... (purple)

On a side note, I have a fondness for that film, which proved to be one of the most emblematic compare/contrast pairings of high Silent Generation and leading-edge Generation X sensibilities (if you take Gen X as starting circa 1961 rather than 1965; the erstwhile teens in this film, as in the wonderful Fame of the same year (no movie better conveys the teenage performer audition treadmill of the period), are definitely more Gen X than Boomer in sensibility). Judd Hirsch's performance was particularly memorable, and Elizabeth McGovern's work with a slender role gave solid inimations of her future promise as a character actress.
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    The plural of fiancé should retain the masculine form unless it's an entirely female group, in which case it gains the feminine 'e'.

In response to Stimson, I'm not married but soon to be engaged and have already done a lot of planning with my girlfriend. She's more musically capable in some ways, since she can actually play piano and read music very well, but I have more liturgical, chant, and theoretical knowledge. I've basically chosen all the music (basically the prescribed chants and change) but I showed them to her to be sure she liked them. In everything else, we've equally planned what we have planned. We pretty much just run our ideas past each other. Our tastes are pretty similar and we eschew a lot of the secular "traditions" regarding weddings in favor of what's more practical or to our liking.
  • @FidemInFidebus That video made me laugh a bit, I am quite used to hearing (and playing!) it a lot slower, but I do think it is the most authentic version I will ever have to hear.

Our choir (thankfully!) has never had to do a wedding because all of the couples ask for the folk band... I don't think our church has ever heard proper chanted propers.
    Thanked by 1FidemInFidebus
  • Liam
    I'd like that tempo for chamber music. It would be mush in a much larger resonant space.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • vansensei
    This is just because I've only now recently discovered it and love it but:

Would the Vaughn Williams Fantasia on Greensleeves be good for a processional?
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I love that piece, but I don't think it would make a good wedding processional. The Greensleeves portion might make as good of a "seating of the mothers" as any other piece that could be chosen, but the Fantasia doesn't really work - imo.
  • WGS
    CCooze,

Some folks are trying to avoid the implications or insinuations related to traditional wedding music. With Green Sleeves, you're getting caught up with "cast me off discourteously" and suggestions of a promiscuous young woman whose attire has been stained with green grass.

I have nothing to say about the tune or the fantasia setting.

• CCoozeCCooze
    Yes, but have you seen "How the West Was Won? Or heard of "What Child is This?" There are other quite memorable texts to this tune. I suppose it simply depends on what title you give it in the program.

Besides, the singer's mention of being "cast off," could simply mean that he was interested and she wasn't.
  • CharlesW
    Just don't use, "The Lady Is a Tramp." Bad implications! Wonder if that could be set to "Greensleeves?"
    Besides, brides don't wear green at a wedding, sleeves or otherwise.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Some of the ones I have seen recently were not wearing the otherwise, either. LOL.
    Au naturel? Must've been pagan ceremonies - which means that Mendelssohn is perfectly acceptable in their case. Q.E.D.!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW