Orthopraxis question regarding the Kyrie
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I know the rather complex history of the use of the text Kyrie eleison, and its many variants.

What I'm unclear about is this: does the Kyrie and its variants (tropes, etc.) properly belong to the penitential rite in the OF (or EF for that matter), or is it more properly considered a response to the penitential rite, hence Form A in the Sacramentary would be the more preferred form to use?

I just want to make sure that my understanding of its function hasn't been clouded by previous "progressivist" notions.

Any answers?
  • miacoyne
    Well, in the book for learning 'Holy sacrifice of the Mass,' it says 'When the priest has finished reading the Introit, he goes to the center of the altar. The people in the church can hear him begin the prayer called the KYRIE. They can hear the altar boy make the responses. he does this for the people."

Kyrie is a prayer ("Appeal for Mercy" which can be included or folllowed by the 'Penitential Act." this is from Modern Catholic Dictionary)

I believe Kyrie can be sung (or recite) in a 'responsorial' manner in both EF and OF.

I don't know this would help. I'd like to know more.