Your Least Favourite Hymn Tunes/Harmonizations
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    wat.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Jesus is like popcorn
    Popping into everybodies lives.
    Jesus is like popcorn
    Better pop our way into... (I can't recall this bit, sang it at school it was awful)

Jesus is like an Apple
    He provides a crunch and sweetness
    Jesus is like an apple
    Better make a crunch for sweetness all around

Jesus is like a pizza
    Imagine every topping and flavour
    Jesus is like a pizza
    Better imagine new things every day

Jesus is like a "nana" (banana)
    With layers you should peel every day
    Jesus is like a nana
    So discover layers every day.

There are various versions but that's what I can remember. I had to play it between my year 7 and year 8 years at high school. It had actions too. I'm unsure as to whether it is an actual hymn. I certainly don't classify it as such.

Was this written by someone local at your high school? Google shows no results for any of these lyrics.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Jes
  • JonLaird
    That is right up there with my mother's report of hearing "Yummy Yummy Yummy" during communion in the first few crazy transitional years.

Jesus, according to the popcorn song, is more shallow than an ogre. Ogres have lots of layers, like onions, whereas bananas -- well, after peeling back one layer, try for two and you are left with a handful of mushy. Not going to be discovering those layers.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Jes
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I will send an Amazon gift card for $8.97 to the first person who composes and records a serious-sounding choral work using the above text.
    Thanked by 2Ben Jes
  • canadashcanadash
    Jes, thanks for ruining everything. ugh.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Michael Davies mentions in one of the volumes of Liturgical Revolution about a youth hymn praising the merits of chocolate milk. (I wish I still had my copy so I could hunt it down and type it up!)

This thread is making me hungry.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Close, Liam, but this hymn was way, WAY more banal. Something along the lines of . . .

Chocolate milk!
    Chocolate milk!
    Thank you Lord, it's just dreamy
    Blowing bubbles, rich and creamy

et cetera.
  • JesJes
    I honestly don't know who wrote it.
    I get the feeling it is probably some woman from Brighton, she wrote a lot of our school hymns. Died in the 1980's sometime. (Before my first breath) I believe it's a hymn in England schools too. Not many I'd imagine, cos it's completely crass.
  • Wow this thread digressed...
    My 6th Grade teacher would choose from Liam's list and change it once per month. It was absolutely horrible.
  • matthewjmatthewj

I honestly don't know who wrote it.
    I get the feeling it is probably some woman from Brighton, she wrote a lot of our school hymns. Died in the 1980's sometime. (Before my first breath) I believe it's a hymn in England schools too. Not many I'd imagine, cos it's completely crass.

Do you have the sheet music? If so, could you scan it and post it to the board?