Calligraphy pen sources
  • Kathy
    I'm looking to buy 40 calligraphy markers for chant composition.

Has anyone followed a good shopping path for getting these inexpensively?

Thanks!
  • Are you asking for calligraphic pen nibs?
    These are available from a good art supplier's.
    Maybe at better office supply shops.
  • Kathy
    More along the lines of sharpies with squared tips.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I don't think those will pan out, K, I'd consider going to Michael's (hobby chain) and asking them to order bulk of the Schaefer starter calligraphy set with the "f/Fine" italic nib assignment (you could also likely use "m/Medium" nib size. Comes with two cartridges of ink as well. The sharpies tip will eventually wither and your neumes will suffer. $5.99 per set, worth it in the long run. Might get you a discount as well.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • Andrew_Malton
    A bit of googling shows that you can get black sharpie chisel tip markers at a dollar each in bulk. I found them here But I expect there are quite a few choices.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Contact Norman at Hisnibs.com. I repair fountain pens and he would be a good source.
  • Kevin -
    You repair fountain pens!?
    Help.
    I have several fine Schaeffers which either don't hold ink, don't allow ink flow, or just in general have become useless. I've paid to have them repaired several times and they still don't work. I've soaked and cleaned them with ammonia to no avail. I'm left with only one wide-nib pen with a sterling barrel that functions properly.
    I rarely write with anything other than a real pen. I have at least half a dozen and only one, a Schaeffer wide-nib (stub), works. I prefer a stub nib, though I occasionally have use for a finer nib.

I've even sent my pens off to Schaeffer but the results were quite disappointing.

I have a Montblanc which I like the least of any pen I have ever owned.

I even have several of those old Esterbrook pens.

Can you help?
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • kevinfkevinf
    Yes, I can. PM me.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I found a source for whiteboard marker with a one inch flat nib - for use in front of a classroom. But probably too large for your situation.
  • Kathy
    That is great though. My coloring-in skills are not up to drawing neumes on the white board.
  • Kevin -
    I'm at a loss PMing you.
    Would you care to send me an e-mail to which I can respond?
  • kevinfkevinf
    Need your address.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Nevermind, I got it. Check your email.
  • BenBen
    MJO: for further reference, a PM is pretty easy. Just:

1. Click the username of the person you wish to PM
    2. Click "Send [username] Message"

Alternatively, you can also click the "inbox" link on the top of the page and go from there.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • JesJes
    Hey @kathy I use a knife like a bassoon reed whittling knife and I carve out the nib of thick marker pens which I buy in bulk from Costco. Works fairly well.
  • JesJes
    Otherwise I use workers pencils.