Memorial Acclamations
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I've just posted ICEL text Memorial Acclamations on my blog:

http://smcollinsus.blogspot.com/2016/06/revisiting-old-2007-post-memorial.html

It began with the old Acclamation A, "Christ has died. etc." that we used for many years at Our Lady of Walsingham in Houston. I don't know where it came from. I decided it was time to update it for the 2011 texts. All three are there on my blog in JPG format. I can send TIF files if anyone needs them. I'm attaching the accompaniments here - 2 pages, 2 versions, the 2nd version is "picardied".
  • Nice, Steve.
    My first encounter with this was right after the council at St Ambrose, in Houston. That's how it came to be introduced at Walsingham. On great feasts one can sing it in organum. It's quite nice. (I, as you might know, prefer it a capella.)
    Thanked by 1Steve Collins
    Hmmm. I wonder what Missal or other worship aid they were using back then. O well. I probably made enough adjustments to it, making it a new piece of music, that I shouldn't have to worry about copyright infringement.

I agree that it could be, and possibly should be chanted unaccompanied. And that's part of the reason I like the melody to begin with. But our congregations don't sing without the organ, as I suspect many don't. Besides, it keeps me in practice harmonizing melodies.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
    Jackson: can you quote for me all three Memorial Acclamations as they appear in the BDW Missal? I'd like to put them to the above music and make them available as well. Thanks
    Here are all three Memorial Acclamations in Latin to the above mentioned melody. I will try to work on the accompaniment soon. Acclamation B is quite long, so I will try to make the accompaniment just a bit more interesting in NOH style. I believe they are quite singable as an unaccompanied chant - maybe even easier than the ICEL melodies.