Seeking suggestions for Gloria in English
  • Apologies to Chonak. When I posted my chant notation version of Gloria XIII, I had not noticed that you had already posted a chant notation version.
  • Adam: My error. Dismissal 5 was the one in question.
  • I found a sketch of a Gloria 8 adaptation on my computer; so I revised and completed it. Here it is.
  • francis
    Here is the Gloria from my Missa Brevis I. Cathedral of Most Precious Blood in Canada has been using this for a few years or so, and they have sent back a couple of suggestions which were incorporated, but I have never used it myself yet to truly test to see how it works.

It is quite flexible as you can use it as plainchant a cappella (melody alone), or melody with organ. In those forms I recommend it not be tied to the meter but truly performed as meterless chant.

If you are really daring, you can incorporate the SATB harmonies. Although this setting is contemporary, its melodic structure still finds its roots in GC.

If you are interested in the entire Mass, let me know.
  • Tom S.
    Here is another version of the Gloria from Mass VIII in English, in modern notation- a freer adaptation than the one from Bruce Ford. We have been using it in our parish for the last 5 years. Hope it helps!
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Looks nice, Tom!
  • a1437053a1437053
    Thank you all for posting. This forum is truly an embarrassment of riches. Hopefully we can add "plainsong English Gloria" to our repertoire, as suggested by Jeffrey Tucker in getting "To There".
  • Mark M:

I wish I had waited a day before posting my adaptation of Gloria 8, because, as usual, I have had second thoughts. I revised my work today.

I restored the syllabic style to "peace to his" "worship you," "take away," etc., because in this segment of the three-part formula employed in this piece the composer treated the high D as an ornament, and the accent is fixed on C. I was wrong therefore, to have forged the C and D into a two-note neume to underline the verbal accents in these places.

I re-composed "we give you thanks" to place the accented syllable, "give," on the first D, where in this segment of the formula an accented syllable usually falls.

I also re-composed "Lord God, Lamb of God" to make the phrase more fluent and to place a stronger accent on "Lamb" than upon "God,"--which in this context seems appropriate.

The Latin version of this chant is a sixteenth-century composition and not a great one; and you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. My English version is, however, slightly more regular in its treatment of accents than the Latin, and it "chatters" less. The octave skip before "Lord Jesus Christ" makes a bit more rhetorical sense than the identical skip before "Qui tollis..."

The defects of this English translation are widely recognized. John Boe, in his dissertation, "The Ordinary in English" shows how Winfred Douglas tightened up and improved both this Gloria and Credo 3 when he adapted them to English words. Douglas was, however, working with better translations.

My second effort is attached.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Bruce, I thank you (as I'm sure others do, too!) for your most thoughtful treatment of this work, and for your generosity for sharing it here -- replete with your insightful explanations. Wonderful… and thank you again! (I'll look forward to comparing your earlier version with this one, for my own understanding and benefit.)
  • benedictgal
    I love the Community Mass Gloria. It is not as hard to sing. In fact, at my old parish, when the organ died, we were able to sing it acapella (of course, it helps if you have a great cantor). I am hoping that the composer will be able to rework the new translation with that music.
  • Ralph BednarzRalph Bednarz
    Regarding the the St. Meinrad Kyriale I have found Mass 11 in English an improvement from the Latin. The choir is very enthused about it.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Hi folks… I'm resuscitating an old thread, as I am wont to do on occasion… the last post was exactly a year ago today.

Is an organ accompaniment for the Poterack Gloria freely available anywhere? I know it's in the Adoremus hymnal, but I was curious if there's a PDF of that (or something similar) anywhere.
  • don roy
    i would be remiss if i didnt try and push my d minor gloria published by cantica nova. its responsorial and primarily choral and there optional brass parts but it makes a good effect. i can tell you that adapting an existing gloria setting to the new text isnt easy. i pretty much had to recompose entire sections so the adaptation is pretty much a new composition.
    one might be wise to hold off teaching a new setting until the new translation goes in effect.
  • Donnaswan
    May I suggest some handbells if you have access. I love the way Paul Ford uses them in the CD of BFW. I think the John Lee setting would be much improved or maybe I should say more interesting with some bells.
    But of course, by now, it's prolly pointless to learn anything new until we get the new translations in our hands.
    Donna
  • francis
    I have two new settings for the new translation. If they do not get published, I will post them here for free. I will keep you informed as to availability.
  • Donnaswan
    Francis, great. I am so afraid the stuff in Ritualsong will just be the old things 'rejiggered' so to speak! LOL
    Donna
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    As a measure to carry over into the new translation, this version in Anglican Chant will be available in the new text as well. Old refers to....the old text.
  • For those using the Glory to God from John Lee's Congregational Mass (1970), here is a version I've prepared for the new texts.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    thank you for this, aristotle. wonderful stuff.
  • Jen
    Is there any chance that someone has (or could provide) a modern notation of Richard Rice's Gloria adapted from Psalm Tone I? I thought it sounded great at the first Mass of the Colloquium and would like to implement it at our parish. There is no chant at our parish (other than Jubilate Deo during Lent) and so there is no familiarity with the square notes (yet!).
  • Priestboi
    These Glorias are really beautiful! How would one go about working them out for the new mass texts?
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Aristotle, are you sure that GIA wasn't going to rework this one themselves?
  • I'm not sure one way or the other. If so, there are a couple of ways they could go about fitting the text to the tone. I can think of one other way that would make sense.

I haven't reworked the harmonic underpinnings of the setting.