new online bible - cool resource
  • francis
    Baronius Press is pleased to announce the launch of a new, mobile-friendly website with the full texts of the Clementina Vulgata, the Douay-Rheims Bible and the Knox Bible.
    www.CatholicBible.online
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    A small caveat: it's Challoner's 18c revision of Douay-Rheims. The 'real' one seems only available in scans such as Gallica's or Googlebooks.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JonathanKK
  • Knox!??? but no 'Authorised Version'??? (that's King James for the uninitiated.)

And, since Richard brought it up - could someone state the variances betwixt the Challoner and the 'real' Douai-Rheims? I have the Challoner. Am I missing something that I shouldn't want to miss? Too, this will probably bruise someone's toes, but I have always thought that the King James was more than a little bit more artful, rhythmic, graceful, in a higher register, and so on, than the Douai-Rheims. I've heard it said that that King James' committee of literati of a more scholarly bent than the men responsible for the Douai-Rheims. Is there anything to this? The Douai-Rheims just doesn't seem, at least to me, to have the grace, the cachet, that the 'Authorised Version' has. And, I say this without bias.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JonLaird
    I might be off, but I believe the original D-R is more slavish translation of the Latin, which Challoner revised, borrowing often from the AV. Here's a passage (Eph 2:1-4) for comparison; I've thrown in the RSV and NAB as well since it is interesting to see.

Vulgate (apologies if my browser has "corrected" the spelling):
    et vos cum essetis mortui delictis et peccatis vestris in quibus aliquando ambulastis secundum saeculum mundi huius secundum principem potestatis aeris huius spiritus qui nunc operatur in filios diffidentiae in quibus et nos omnes aliquando conversati sumus in desideriis carnis nostrae facientes voluntates carnis et cogitationum et eramus natura filii irae sicut et ceteri Deus autem qui dives est in misericordia propter nimiam caritatem suam qua dilexit nos

DR:
    And you when you were dead by your offenses and sinnes, wherein sometime you walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of this aire, of the spirit that now worketh on the children of diffidence, in whom also we al conversed sometime in the desires of our flesh, doing the will of the flesh and of the thoughtes, and were by nature the children of wrath as also the rest: but God (which is riche in mercie) for his exceeding charitie wherewith he loved us...

AV:
    And you hath hee quickned who were dead in trespasses, and sinner, Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the aire, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience, Among whom also we all had our conuersation in times past, in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh, and of the minde, and were by nature the children of wrath, euen as others: But God who is rich in mercie, for his great loue wherewith hee loved us...

Challoner:
    And you, when you were dead in your offences, and sins, Wherein in time past you walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of this air, of the spirit that now worketh on the children of unbelief: In which also we all conversed in time past, in the desires of our flesh, fulfilling the will of the flesh and of our thoughts, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest: But God, (who is rich in mercy,) for his exceeding charity wherewith he loved us...

RSV-CE:
    And you he made alive, when you were dead through the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience. Among these we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, following the desires of body and mind, and so we were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us,

NAB:
    You were dead in your transgressions and sins in which you once lived following the age of this world, following the ruler of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the disobedient. All of us once lived among them in the desires of our flesh, following the wishes of the flesh and the impulses, and we were by nature children of wrath, like the rest. But God, who is rich in mercy, because of the great love he had for us,