Engraving Chant in MuseScore
  • BenBen
    Created this for a user here, but worth sharing in it's own thread, for those who find it helpful. I'll be the first to say that gregorio is the most superior tool for chant engraving. But for those times you need to do it in modern notation with a GUI, MuseScore is a great option. Here's a few tutorials on how to do the basics.

If there's any other requests, don't hesitate to ask!

Chant in MuseScore - Youtube Playlist
  • O finally! Something from an OFFICIAL source about creating gregorian chant! Thank you so much Ben!
  • LarsLars
    Thanks, just what I was looking for.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    I've done modern chant notion in Musescore. If I can be of help to anyone let me know.
    Thanked by 1Lars
  • LarsLars
    what would be the process of crating a score like this, notes with stems and stemless on the same stave/page. thanks
  • GerardH
    There are 3 ways to get stemless notes.

1. Set a whole system to stemless: Right click on the system you want to edit > Stave/Part Properties... > Advanced style properties... > Check "Stemless".

2. Set all notes in one bar to stemless: Right click on the bar you want to edit > Bar Properties... > In the Staves subsection, check "stemless" for any systems you want stemless.

3. Set individual notes to be stemless: Select note/s > in "Inspector" panel (press F8), under "Chord", check "Stemless".
    Thanked by 1Lars
  • GerardH
    This forum discussion from a year ago has plenty of useful information too.
    Thanked by 2Lars Don9of11
  • LarsLars
    thanks, @GerardH setting specific bars as stemless is what I was looking for. Great stuff!

Now, how do I add text(a letter or a number) at the start of a stave, like in that previous picture I uploaded, to indicate thats a response and these are the verses. The one I uploaded just now I added the text with a photo editor, it does the job but obviously is not as nice as that other one.
    thanks.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    @Lars
    You want to select the first note or note closest to where you want the text. Select "Staff Text" from the drop down menu, double click and it adds the Staff Text above the note, from there you can edit to have it read anything you want.
    508 x 575 - 79K
    Thanked by 1Lars
  • GerardH
    Or inserting a horizontal frame and adding text to it can also work, similarly to the example below:image
    1815 x 1749 - 256K
    Thanked by 2Lars Don9of11
  • LarsLars
    thanks @Don9of11 and @GerardH.
    inserting frames did the trick, I'm happy the way it turned out.
    Thanked by 1GerardH