Scalia Funeral Mass
  • Chrism
    Live now on EWTN and other major networks.

Edit: Link to the archived video, courtesy C-SPAN.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • Chrism
    See johnmann's post below for a PDF of the program.

One of the basilica's bells is tolled
    Organ music
    A men's schola chants the Introit "Requiem aeternam" according to the Graduale Romanum.
    Organ music
    Hymn "O God Our Help in Ages Past"
    Welcoming Remarks by Cardinal Wuerl - "in keeping with the family's desire for a simple parish Mass... (laughter)"
    Collect is sung by Father Scalia
    1st reading: Wisdom, read by Leonard Leo, a friend of Justice Scalia
    Psalm 23:1-6: sung by the National Shrine choir
    2nd reading: Romans 5, read by Justice Clarence Thomas
    Verse: sung by the National Shrine choir
    Gospel: Deacon Colin Davis, seminarian, diocese of Arlington
    Homily: Fr. Scalia
    Offertory motet: Beati quorum via (Stanford)
    Preface dialogue: chanted
    Sanctus: XVIII (chanted, with organ)
    The Roman Canon (EP I)
    Memorial Acclamation: When... (chanted, with organ)
    Amen (chanted, with organ)
    Our Father (chanted sonorously by all present)
    Peace Dialogue (chanted)
    Sign of Peace (omitted)
    Agnus Dei - Victoria, Missa Quarti Toni National Shrine choir
    A treble schola chants the Communion verse "Lux Aeterna" according to the Graduale Romanum
    Communion Hymn: Jesus, My Lord, My God, My All (Faber)
    Communion motets: Franck's Panis Angelicus, Mozart's Ave Verum
    Post-communion dialogue: chanted
    In Paradisum: English, sung by the National Shrine choir
    Recessional: O God Beyond All Praising (Holst)
    The casket is asperged by Cardinal Wuerl, Archbishop Viganò, Bishop Loverde and Bishop Higgins, then is draped in the American flag and, as the tower bell tolls again, is carried out of the basilica and down the front steps, past a long line of concelebrating priests chanting the Salve Regina, a singing line of white-vested clergy which calls to mind the silent line of black-dressed law clerks who received the body at the Supreme Court the day before. The casket is saluted by Supreme Court Police and placed in the hearse.

Notes:
    * White vestments
    * The Great Church is full of people all the way back to the doors.
    * Mass is offered facing the people, so that all the concelebrants, who are in the sanctuary, face the same direction
  • CCoozeCCooze
    So, even though my grandmother lived in Alexandria and we'd visit her whenever we could (and D.C), I've never actually been to this basilica.
    Is there not somewhere else (besides the sanctuary) for the choir to stand?

Also, I thought I'd read that Justice Scalia didn't like the Novus Ordo and went out of his way to get to the TLM? This looks like it's about to be an OF Mass?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I believe the long TV shot comes from the loft, about 400 or so feet from the altar. Having the choir sing from there might present problems in an OF mass. Newt Gingrich's wife, Callista, is clearly visible in the choir (she has the platinum blonde hair).
  • CCoozeCCooze
    The program

Hillary's face is all over that page..
  • johnmann
    Hillary's face is all over that page..

That's how Scalia willed the Dies irae printed.

The program is at the end of the article.
  • Chrism
    Unfortunately, C-SPAN is showing the Communion line...

One remembers with fondness the decision of the Archdiocese of Boston to ban video of Communion at Ted Kennedy's funeral.
  • In comparing Scalia's funeral with those of other public figures in the U.S. who were Catholic, this Mass is a model of good taste. I cannot object to any selection of music. (The Hughes in fact is a very effective English setting of the In Paradisum.) There was no eulogy. How rare is that?

Thanked by 3Chrism CHGiffen Steve Q
  • johnmann
    I compiled a PDF of the program for posterity.
    Thanked by 2Chrism Steve Q
  • redsox1
    What a beautiful and dignified funeral Mass. I was so moved by Fr. Scalia's homily, as well as how reverent, yet human, he was as celebrant. I can't imagine the enormous pressure he was under. This Mass was such a wonderful window for the general public to witness our Catholic faith.
    Thanked by 2canadash Steve Q
  • Kathy
    He has an admirable style of celebrating

Richard Rice composed the responsorial Psalm setting.
  • There is a choir loft on the Gospel side of the Altar, complete with organ. Maybe it wasn't large enough? Then again, with all the con-celebrating clergy behind the Altar, and the choir behind them, I'm OK with it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    One of the things about the space is its sheer size. You could lay the Washington Monument down the nave, or hit a center field home run. It's just vast, and tall. The normal acoustical problems are much more difficult there.

Not to mention the logistics. Ordinarily the choir processes and recesses. Climbing to the loft would not work.
    Thanked by 1JonLaird
  • redsox1
    While I was there, Leo had the choir,very occasionally, sing from the south gallery. Any configuration requires discreet amplification. The space is just so vast. The crypt is a much more enjoyable space in which to make music!
    Thanked by 1Jahaza
  • canadashcanadash
    Thank you for the information on the composer of the psalm. I thought the psalm was beautiful. (edited)
  • http://www.c-span.org/video/?404962-1/justice-antonin-scalia-funeral-mass

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/antonin-scalia-funeral-mass-program-219528

First one is the video, second one is the actual program - scroll down to find it.
    I thought the whole thing was just beautiful and moving and the homily was a perfect mix of everything it should be. . .
    Catholicism at its 'ever ancient, ever new' best.
  • Kathy
    I thought it was beautiful.

Me too!
  • CharlesW
    There is nothing beautiful about a funeral, although I know exactly what you mean about good music and homily. We have lost a great man at a time when we most need him. That is not a beautiful thing.
    Thanked by 2Jani canadash
  • Kathy
    I'm pretty sure I didn't say it was a beautiful funeral. But your point is well taken.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW canadash
  • Gaudium
    Could someone identify the gospel acclamation (Lenten) that was used in this program? Thank you!
  • RevAMG
    Gaudium, it's one of Dr. Peter Latona's own compositions. It's the "regular" Lenten Gospel Acclamation at the Basilica.
    Thanked by 1Gaudium