Lucis Creator optime (third option)
  • At our monthly OF Latin chant Mass my schola usually sings a Latin hymn after communion. Often the hymn chosen is quite familiar though occasionally we program a vespers hymn most in the schola, not to mention congregation, have never heard. Such is the case with Lucis Creator optime paired with the third option chant melody (Liber Usualis 258).

Though this option is not the chant normally sung at vespers, it is quite dramatic and has some fascinating rhythmic placements of syllables. I’m wondering if anyone out there has sung this chant and, more importantly, know its origins. Is it a more recent composition? Any insights would be appreciated.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Randolph,

Have sung the hymn Lucis Creator Optime at EF Vespers. Not difficult. Don't know more about it, but could look it up and get back to you, since I have a helpful resource -- but it will take me a moment to find it.
  • tomjaw
    We sing this for the Optatus votis omnium, it is set to this melody in the Cantus Selecti, this book has a reference section.

60. Optatus votis omnium. — Hymnus antiquus ad instar hymnorum Sci Ambrosii compositus; melodia italica, e Liber Usualis ad Vesperas Dominicae super hymnum Lucis Creator optime (3US tonus).

Here is the link to the global chant database for this melody,

http://globalchant.org/melody-search.php?melody=156545765

N.B. This database only contains a limited selection of chant books.