MYSTERY PICTURE???
  • Can anyone tell me anything about the church in this picture; especially its name, location and status? Supposedly, this church is either closed or abandoned.
    630 x 945 - 155K
  • tomjaw
    Somewhere in England...

Google image search does not find an exact match.
  • Abbot Jonathan Coel,

I'm in a little over my head, but the gothic arches would suggest a time period for construction. Is that an image of St. Michael the Archangel on the left side of the picture?
  • (deleted)
  • Liam
    Looks like it's in the 100-150 years old range of Gothic revival. If that speculation is correct, it's easy to see why it might be abandoned: it wouldn't be a highly graded historical building that would merit subsidies to maintain in the absence of a congregation that could maintain it itself. White elephants can be beautiful. (I should be clear that even high-graded churches can become redundant, though it's more likely that conservation efforts might be sought for them.)
  • chonakchonak
    It appears to be Southwark Cathedral.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • tomjaw
    Got it...
    "Between 1106 and 1538 it was the church of an Augustinian priory, Southwark Priory, dedicated to the Virgin Mary. Following the dissolution of the monasteries, it became a parish church, with the new dedication of St Saviour's. The present building retains the basic form of the Gothic structure built between 1220 and 1420, although the nave is a late 19th-century reconstruction. [...] a cathedral only since the creation of the diocese of Southwark in 1905"

Link to virtual tour, http://cathedral.southwark.anglican.org/visit/virtual-tour

N.B. Of course just down the road is St George's Cathedral, Southwark
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_George%27s_Cathedral,_Southwark
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Supposedly, this church is either closed or abandoned.

Closed by order of King henry. and abandoned, though in continued use... >:-)
  • Liam
    Ah, Southwark's nave is a reconstruction from the 1890s....
  • (deleted)