looking for Polyphonic Setting of Communion (Easter III-C) Simon Joannis
  • SalieriSalieri
    I realize that this is a little far into the future, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a setting of the Communion Simon Joannis for Easter III-C. This is the date of Confirmation this year, and it will be sung by combined choirs, so I was hoping to get the music together and ready as soon as possible.

Thanks for your help.
  • BenBen
    I assume you mean polyphony or something in parts? Also, english, latin, or either?
  • SalieriSalieri
    Polyphony, yes. Latin would be preferable, but English is OK.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Ann Callaway's Simon, son of Jonas (SATB & organ) uses the KJV; my choir finds it quite exciting and not very difficult (I could enthuse much more, but modesty requires the disclosure that she is my wife). A sample page is attached.

The communio (for the Vigil of P&P) is set for 4vv. by Isaac in Choralis constantinus III. (p. 310 is in 3rd vol. of pdf).

• CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Do you want just a setting of the Antiphon (suitable for use with Psalms verses), or Antiphon with (some) Psalm verses, or a stand-alone setting (longer, more like a motet, not really requiring Psalm verses)?
  • SalieriSalieri
    I was looking for a stand-alone setting, like the Isaac. (In fact, I may use the Isaac.) The bishop is very, very quick when distributing communion, and there probably won't be time to do anything with verses and antiphon repeats. Communion at last year's Confirmation, with a packed congregation, took less time than a normal Sunday!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Salieri,

You could alert the bishop to the fact that you'd like to prepare an extended version of the text -- and that this would give him time to distribute Holy Communion more deliberately.
  • SalieriSalieri
    CGZ: Ha! What fantasy world does tha live in? A reverent and deliberately-paced Mass? By a Bishop? Don't make me laugh!

We prepared about 10 minutes of music for communion last year, the antiphon with verses and several motets; communion at a regular Mass takes about 5 or 6 minutes. We sang the antiphon with verses while the priests and servers received, like always, and the one motet we ended up singing took up practically the whole of the people's communion - the choir barely had enough time to get downstairs and receive!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    One last thing ... a cappella or accompanied?
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
    A cappella would be preferable.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • To quote Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith,

The Ordinary Form can be celebrated reverently.
  • SalieriSalieri
    True: but only if the celebrant wants to celebrate it reverently.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CGM
    There's also this early 17th-century setting for five voices + continuo. Features a nice dialogue between Jesus (tenor) and Simon (soprano) with choral interjections and alleluias.
    Thanked by 2Richard Mix Salieri