Seek Him That Maketh the Seven Stars - Jonathan Dove
  • Recently did this with my college concert choir (e.g., performed it two weekends in a row at massive churches) and it feels very "church-y" (grand vocal lines and large organ chords), that is, something that could easily be performed within the context of Mass . Have any of you here or heard of the piece?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    What do you mean by "within the context of Mass"? I should think that, as (what I perceive as) something of a concert piece, this might be more appropriate at a Vespers or other service. It's beautiful music and requires a very capable choir.
  • Or rather, in a liturgical context. I could see it being performed as the recessional somewhere.
  • What do you mean by "within the context of Mass"?

You've got to weigh the alternatives, Chuck!

On Eagles Wings or Seek Him That Maketh the Seven Stars? Hmmm....
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Noel ... who says that I condone OEW? As for the good piece, I'm just not sure where it fits in liturgically (I wish I knew!) ... do you?
  • "Seek him" is a wonderful piece, have sung it many times and also recorded it. Are you familiar with Dove's "Missa Brevis"? SATB + organ. It is in Latin and very exciting, requires a fairly capable organist and choir, but it's worth it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Dove's Missa Brevis is a very nice piece indeed. The choir of St. John's College, Cambridge performed the Gloria as the anthem for the Matriculation evensong a few weeks ago. I think it would also work well as a anthem for Christmas, but you really need to have an ass-kickin" organist at your disposal!
  • Nobody! There are so many great pieces from the Anglican heritage that don't have a place at Mass, I definitely agree. If Evening Prayer ever became common people would eat them up.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen