Musica Sacra podcast
  • Interviews/musings with top musicians, liturgists, scholars, theologians of CMAA and beyond...

When will this day come?
  • BenBen
    That would be cool...I wouldn't want to host it but I certainly could offer technical expertise if needed like editing.
  • Funny... Mary Weaver and I had the idea of doing this several years ago... kicked around ideas, but never really got it going. I wonder how much interest there is for something like this...
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • BenBen
    I'm an avid podcast listener, and would certainly listen.
  • Same here Ben! I'm surprised Jeff Ostrowski hasn't already jumped on that, he'd have a huge following with CCWatershed! Here's hoping :/
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I listen to a lot of podcasts about my outside interests... boxing, etc...

Do other professions have podcasts about their professions? I know this is more vocation than profession... but... is there like an Accountant Podcast?
    Thanked by 1janetgorbitz
  • BenBen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Good grief!
  • now that's something I could learn to love... the accountant's podcast... thrilling new tips from the latest tax code...

Seriously, though... what types of programs would you want on it... how long are the podcasts you like the best, etc.?

Interviews, reviews of recordings, new music available, resources... call-in or write in listener questions...
  • As priest and pastor of souls I would be most interested in a series that would lead us in praying with the sung sacred texts of the liturgy. I am imagining a kind of lectio divina similar to what Dom Mark Kirby, OSB did with several chants in his talks at the 2010 CMAA Colloquium (One, Two, Three). Within his talks he takes a few specific chants (Dominus Dixit, Resurrexi, Videns Dominus) and reflects on both the sacred text and the melody to which it is set. It places us in contact not only with the beauty of these sung prayers, but guides us in praying them so as to encounter the Lord. Here is an example of Kirby's lectio with Ad te levavi. Other places where I have discovered similar reflections on the chants of the Church are in Chants of the Vatican Gradual by Dom Dominic Johner, OSB and The Hymns of the Beviary and Missal by Rev. Matthew Britt, OSB. It looks like the Benedictines who pray these chants day in and day out would be the go to source.
    Fr. Vogel
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Fr. Vogel, that's exactly what I was looking for. Other things I would be interested in hearing discussions about would be the more practical topics: Teaching a Beginning Choir; Pastors, PIP and Prudence; Confessions from the Choir Loft; Challenges of Multicultural Parishes, How to Not Get Fired, etc. but basically probably all the topics that are covered in the Colloquiums but in a podcast format.

Honestly I feel that these same discussions on the forums could be taken to a studio...and that some of the characters on here would make for great radio personalities! I enjoy reading the interesting topics here, I think a round-table podcast discussion would be incredible!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Yes, can we just force Fr. Kirby into doing a podcast going through every chant in the Gradual? Those lectures were tremendous!
  • Hmmm... something to ponder. Sounds like a great future project... any volunteers to assist with any part of it?
  • BenBen
    I can help with audio production if needed. I have a radio background.
    Thanked by 1janetgorbitz
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'd be happy to host. Of course, everyone would know a priori that I'm stark raving mad.
    Thanked by 1janetgorbitz
  • Someone told me I had a face for radio, does that count?
    Thanked by 2janetgorbitz Ben
  • JahazaJahaza
    Do other professions have podcasts about their professions? I know this is more vocation than profession... but... is there like an Accountant Podcast?

The Federalist Society produces podcasts that are mainly aimed at lawyers.

I've come across an aviation incident podcast that was targeted at pilots.

The "New Books Network" seems to be primarily focused at academics, it's not pitched at a popular level at all and many of the questions are about professional topics.

The Long Form podcast was originally very much insider-baseball topics for journalists, though it's more popularized now, I think.

There are many tech podcasts aimed at people who work in tech, rather than end-users of technologies.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    One of my favorites is Sara's Horn Hangout. The mouthpiece shop-talk is perhaps best fast-forwarded, but Barbara Hannigan's interview about singing and conducting is pure gold.
  • francis
    Melo... I think I should host with you... kinda like click and clack the tappert brothers.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    In the words of the immortal Dr. Emilio Lizardo, francis-"You dunno know whaddyou saying!" In thinking about it for my part, I dunno know that I should represent CMAA to the general public. CMAA is happily a very stoic enterprise. We're flamboyantly stoic and decidedly irritating. Maybe Mr. Copper wants the gig.