Random, nasty comments you've heard from parishioners
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Rhetorical point of clarification, RC, I meant that as far as I knew, there isn't a canonical office of "Commentator" as compared to deacons, sub deacons, acolytes and such, not that the duty was unofficial. I barely remember them from the early 70's. The last time a non-musician functioned as such was an Our Lady of Guadalupe Mega Mass, and that added just more hype, alas indeed.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • Canadash,

The problem is a faulty ecclesiology and a defective understanding of Leitourgos.

Mass doesn't exist to entertain us, and neither is it our work, individually speaking.

If they don't feel invited to sing, that's because no one has used words to invite them. Since microphone amplified words encourage, cajole, everything else they do at Mass, it is assumed that this should be true for singing.
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen
  • chonakchonak
    I don't know anyone else's experience, but at my job church the congregation seems a bit passive about music. When prompted to pick up the red hymnal or the green book or the "missalette"™ or the pew card, they do, much more than if they are not prompted.

And -- come to think of it -- the placement of the hymn board, somewhat occluded, leaves people dependent on the announcements. I wonder if anything can be done about that.
  • a_f_hawkins
    At our church on Sunday we normally have a hymn during the entrance, and at the offertory. When the organ starts to play it is as if people think 'O the organ is playing, is there a hymn? where is a hymn book? what is the number on the hymn board? where is that in the book?'. Consequently there is a slow build up of volume through the first two verses. Occasionally we don't start with the first verse. I have been called on to announce this and found that if I said 'Our opening hymn is number one four three starting at the third verse, that's hymn one hundred and forty three from verse three' we started with about twice the volume with which we normally finish. (Background: 1 Sunday Mass, congregation just over 100 average, crush capacity 200, organ and cantor, no choir, 2 hymn boards). Very rarely we sing a recessional, normally sung with gusto, most people have open books, and nobody leaves till we finish. I think this is all weird, but it has been like this for at least 15 years.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Beware the wrath of our local hymnists.
  • Wow. I travel a lot. I go to a lot of parishes with great musicians, less than stellar musicians, more than stellar musicians, awesome music that obviously took hours and hours of practice, music where it is obvious the practice took place 30 minutes before Mass, and often no music at all. But for Christians to act like that to you guys? It's unconscionable.

Look, no-one is going to like everything. There is a parish I attend on occasion with very modernized music - and I'm not fond of it - during Mass. But it is one of those parishes I say has great musicians that obviously spent hours and hours of practice.
    So if I don't like it, it doesn't matter. It is the miracle of the Eucharist I come for.

So, I don't know and I don't care if I'd like any of your music. No offense.

If you focus on Christ and his Passion through your music and you get comments like this you could, (if you were not a Christan focusing on Christ and his Passion,) give a rude gesture to such parishioners.

But here's the rub... examine the criticism and even if the parishioner is an [REDACTED... FOUL LANGUAGE] see if there is improvement to be made. All of us can improve. This is knowing you can't please everyone.

The Diocese of Erie (I'm in Pittsburgh but I often have to attend their parishes) is doing a thing on the Litany of Humility, and I found I can't genuinely pray it at this time, and it's something I should strive for.
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • CharlesW
    Sometimes it is not nasty comments, just general lack of thought on the part of parishioners. Today between masses, I walked into the loft and found an entire family waiting for me. It was ten minutes before the next mass and I needed to check out the psalm with the sub cantor who was gracious enough to fill in for the regular guy. The father of this family asked if his daughter could play "Immaculate Mary" on the organ. It was a crazy request which I didn't have time for. I am not about to turn over a half-a-million dollar instrument to someone I have never even met. They were tourists of course, just visiting, and we probably won't see them again. I told them they were going to have to get out of my way because I had work to do with the cantor. It is a good thing I don't drink. LOL.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • melofluentmelofluent
    So if I don't like it, it doesn't matter. It is the miracle of the Eucharist I come for. So, I don't know and I don't care if I'd like any of your music. No offense.

Friend SeasonPsalt, your admonition is difficult to parce and understand. But your words quoted above provide an insight into where you depart from tolerating the discussion. If I may, "the miracle of the Eucharist" is the ends for which we all help the means to achieve, tho' nothing we can do could alter it, only adorn it. So, I believe you'd have to allow as how the discussions here focus upon the means, not that end. The end is a given, I can't recall a single soul over a decade or so that would deny that here. Likewise, there is a divergence of opinion among many here over many years (or centuries, if you extrapolate opinions about past practices) concerning the criteria by which we assess what repertoire and performance ability best adorns "the miracle." That is the raison d'etre for this and other similar forums. Taste, or de gustibus, will never not be a factor in such discussions. If human beings, aware of their Creator and that we and our music are both creations in debt to our omnibenevolent Lord, do not address how best to use the gifts of sacred art to evangelize, then we have but achieved stasis, or status quo. That's called "lukewarm." Yes, all of us can improve. That's what we're trying to elicit here. The perceived intolerance you may have surmised isn't actually how most folks here actually conduct business in their pastoral duties. But to know that, you have to dwell with us and know if we're real Christians. Perhaps then you will better appreciate the possibility of (y)our music. Pax tecum.
  • @melofluent I was not seeking to admonish. I'll use a term I loathe. "Paradigm shift." It was an often used term in boring meetings in the '90s. With an absolute mis-definition of "Paradigm." Go beyond the criticizers. Look at it from a new perspective.

The Church has inspired and commissioned the greatest art in the world. The greatest architecture, the greatest paintings, and the greatest music. While a lot of people "don't like it," that doesn't matter.

Just because I can receive Eucharist in a crappy shack with junky carpeting as long as the priest is there does not diminish the creativity the creator gave us as we are His image.

And no-one's creativity can be polished without criticism.

And many criticizers are [REDACTED... FOUL LANGUAGE] but that shouldn't matter.

I admire Church musicians, and I want them all to be their best.

I was suggesting the Litany of Humility will help. It's certainly helping me in my life, even though I can not sincerely pray all the lines at this point in my life.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • incantuincantu
    Well today it was "I loved the choir. It was just like being in the Vatican!"
  • Well today it was "I loved the choir. It was just like being in the Vatican!"

AWESOME!!!
  • Whose Vatican musicians?
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • SalieriSalieri
    My favourite one was when an irate, but withal very pious man accosted me in the Loft on Epiphany immediately after I finished my postlude at the choir Mass. (An improvisation on Puer Natus est Nobis, a jig-style with quartal harmony - I remember this because I was so happy with it I wish I had recorded it, since it was probably my best improv. up to that point.) He grimaced, gave me the "thumbs down", and marched over to me, got in my face, and shouted at me that it was "unholy, angry music", and that if I was mad I should "go to confession, not take it out on everyone else."
  • OK, so today it was a random lash-out at Fr. Faber's "Faith of Our Fathers" at a high-school mass, which was deemed offensive to teenage faith. It was "grandmother's music," the fact that we used a 16th-Century hymntune and 10th-Century chants at the same Mass notwithstanding.

Bizarrely, this hymn receives, in my experience, bar-none, the most flak of any piece of church music ever written. Anyone agree? Care to venture a guess as to why?
  • SalieriSalieri
    Because it continues the oppression of wymyn by the patriarchy by claiming that the faith only belongs to fathers.
  • Because it continues the oppression of women by the patriarchy by claiming that the faith only belongs to fathers.

Indeed. Add to that fact that the exhortations in the hymn are quite challenging and humbling, and you have a recipe for pharisaical disapprobation.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Or: "Dear Lord and parent of us all, forgive our foolish ways."
  • Jani
    Revised Heritage Gloria stinks. JMO.
  • KARU27
    If I didn't want people to sing, why would I put the numbers on a hymn board?

Not everyone has great vision. If I am wearing my glasses instead of my contacts, I cannot always read the numbers. I don't like the announcements myself either, but one small hymn board is often inadequate for a large church, especially if the sight lines are not great.
    Thanked by 3canadash chonak Gavin
  • MatthewRoth
    On Sundays, days of precept, and other important days, there ought to be a worship aid with the hymns, reading locations (e.g. the Epistle is Romans 8:21-32, or whatever), the location of the Ordinary in the hymnal or pew materials, and the translation of anything Latin (the propers or motets).

That takes care of the hymn board problem.
    Thanked by 2eft94530 Gavin
  • CharlesW
    Not everyone has great vision. If I am wearing my glasses instead of my contacts, I cannot always read the numbers. I don't like the announcements myself either, but one small hymn board is often inadequate for a large church, especially if the sight lines are not great.

It's one-half block from one end of our building to the other. We had a large hymn board built - I mean over 6-feet-tall - and put 4" numbers on it. That took care of the, "I can't see" problem.
  • eft94530eft94530
    4" numbers [...] took care of

It was the six inch backing being green and different denominations.

PURPLE_BOLD=OFF
  • CharlesW
    Backing is white, numbers are black. Each number card is 4" tall. Visible from anywhere. The board weighs 50 pounds and I am one of the few who can lift it over my head to get it on the hangars. That board, being 6', will throw you off balance if you don't have good arm and shoulder strength. However, it works and prevents having to make handouts each week. I can put it up once and use it for all three morning masses.

BTW, I could go for the different denominations if they were preceded by a $ sign.
  • canadashcanadash
    I would love to have a worship aid, but my pastor is not so keen and I understand his point. With 500+ parishioners at five masses per weekend this is a lot of paper and a lot of garbage in the pew to manage after each mass. We do it at the Triduum and it takes a crew to clean it all up. Adding it to the bulletin maybe a thought but would require a bit of coordination and then you have people rifling through the bulletin during mass...
  • SalieriSalieri
    You could try simply posting the Hymn numbers in a convenient location in the bulletin. Maybe just in an obvious box on the first or second page (and NEVER change it to another page, keep it there forever) in bigger typing that the rest of the bulletin. Nothing fancy, no lyrics, just:

HYMNS WEEKEND OF OCTOBER 4, 2015

MASS SETTING: Community Mass: 1212-1215

ENTRANCE: 612
    PSALM: 18
    OFFERTORY: 510
    COMMUNION: 712
    RECESSIONAL: 1045

(These are just random numbers, BTW)
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Perhaps you can make a worship aid and have the pastor tell everyone to take them and dispose of them at home, or have a big paper recycling bin somewhere to drop them in?
  • ViolaViola
    Not exactly a 'random, nasty comment' but recently a parishioner approached me and said 'why don't you let some of us choose the music sometimes? We're not all idiots, you know....'
  • That one might incur a random, nasty comment from me.
  • I have a very small choir of about 8 singers when everyone is there. I have struggled with commitment problems from singers for several years now. Last night we had a visiting professional choir come and give a concert. When it was over one of parishioners came up to me and said, "I wish you could do that". I replied, " I could build a pyramid if I had 2000 Hebrew slaves". He walked away.
  • ryandryand
    Not exactly a 'random, nasty comment' but recently a parishioner approached me and said 'why don't you let some of us choose the music sometimes? We're not all idiots, you know....'

Send that person to the NPM jobs website. Plenty of opportunities for someone with their level of expertise.
  • Scott_WScott_W

Actually I wouldn't object to this as long as there was an index prohibitum to go with it. (i.e. no Haugen/Haas/Schutte/etc.)
  • eft94530eft94530
    Given all the officially-approved options and
    the not-officially-approved-experimentations
    that are regularly reported in these Forum Discussions,
    I seriously doubt that anyone can come up with a list
    complete enough to avert disasters.

... Well, they would never choose xxx ... Oh, really? you just thought of it! ...

There is a reason why the Church gave us
    the Graduale Romanum and the Graduale Simplex.

But then again, we ignore those, too.
  • @ryand: I'd say that's a pretty random and nasty comment, actually. However, I am
    not entirely averse to letting people send in their requests (after all, you don't "Have" to grant them!) At my "work church" we do a summer hymn sing. This allows folks to send their requests either on paper or email, and for a few weeks we choose three hymns from the request list. If we don't like it, we don't play it. If we don't know it and don't have time to learn it, we don't play it. If we think it's stupid, we don't play it. And so forth...It's a fairly standard collection of oldies and we don't usually get a lot of bad requests, but I put my foot down especially when they start asking for stuff out of the contemporary book (NO "Shine Jesus, Shine" or "Awesome God"!!!) Anyhoo, maybe you can placate these folks by setting out a basket where they can drop off their requests. This way they feeeeeel like they get a say, but of course you're still in charge so they really don't. :-P
  • ryandryand
    That's awful. Even if I have no intention of ever looking at them, I would never have a request basket. It's church, not a piano bar.

Now, if someone approached and had a serious suggestion, I'd consider it. For example, I already planned this weekend before someone asked me about For All the Saints. GASP I did not include that. It was too late to change (worship aids already sent to print) but I will probably do it next year.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "Can I come to where you work and tell you how to do your job? I'm sure the only qualification is not being an idiot."
  • My entire adult life is fueled by the goal of not being an idiot. It keeps me busy.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I've survived to my mid sixties by consistently deferring to idiocy. I'm a lot happier as an idiot.
  • CharlesW
    I love it when people underestimate me. Then when I pounce, I can do them much more damage since they didn't see it coming.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I would never have a request basket. It's church, not a piano bar.

I have considered having a "Suggestion Box" put in at the bottom of the choir-loft stairs. They would be collected together and used to start the New Fire for the Easter Vigil.