Mass XVII : Forms of the Kyrie (a question)
  • francis
    I am instructing our choirs in learning Mass XVII for Advent and was wondering what are the specifics with regards to the three (A,B,C) forms of the Kyrie that are included. Thanks.
  • tomjaw
    I do not have a modern book to check, but from memory...

If you pick up the L.U. Graduale (1962 or earlier) or Kyriale (1962 or earlier) you will find Two different Kyries for Mass XVII.
    The first is Mode 1 (X) XV-XVII c.
    The second is Mode 6 XIV c.

Now if you look in the Cantus ad Libitum section you will find a Kyrie XI [Kyrie salve], you will note that this is the older or original form of the first Kyrie listed above.

These should be your Kyrie A, B, and C.

We use the First (Mode I) for Lent, and the second (Mode 6) for Advent. You can choose which ever you like!

N.B. If you spend some time looking at the Cantus ad Libitum section you will also find an older or original form of the Kyrie for Mass XI (Orbis factor) known as Kyrie ad lib. X. We use this for the season of Septuagesima. Another interesting Kyrie is ad Lib VI which is a more elaborate version of the Kyrie used for Mass I (Lux et Origo). We have been using this in Eastertide.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • francis
    thanks tomjaw. our choir already knows this mass, and today I found out that they know the Kyrie salve, so that is what we will continue to use.

so much to learn, so little time.
  • I've never heard anyone sing anything other than the Kyrie C, typically during Advent. Whilst customarily for the weekdays of Lent and Advent, we tend to use Mass XVIII during Lent.
  • BruceL
    We always use C. Just works better to me and seems a better unit with the Sanctus and Agnus!
  • CCoozeCCooze
    We use the Mode 6 for both Advent and Lent.
    I have a couple pocket edition Kyriales (Latin) and was thrown off-guard when I was asked which of the 3 was the 1 I had told the schola to learn. I don't especially like the Gregorian Missal, but bought one anyway, just so as not to be confused when these types of questions arise again in the future (like with its multiple propers options on some days).