What it could be like, working in a Roman Catholic Church.
  • This is from St. Clements, an Anglo-Catholic parish in Philadelphia. (not Anglican-Use)

Again, this is NOT a Roman Catholic church and not recognized by Rome.

September 04, 2015

My dear People and Friends of Saint Clement’s,

With the upcoming visit of Pope Francis, this September promises to be quite a memorable month here in Philadelphia. I am so pleased that we will be welcoming a large group of pilgrims who will be staying in the Parish House from Thursday the 24th through Monday morning the 28th. We plan to offer simple breakfasts, bottled water and whatever else we can to make their stay comfortable and happy. Donations will be very much necessary and appreciated to help offset the costs we will incur looking after 150 people.

While there will be no changes to our normal schedule for masses and offices, I know the weekend liturgies during the Holy Father’s visit will be simple low masses without the normal quartet of singers. We can most certainly rely on the heavenly hosts as they rejoice in the half dozen major feasts occurring throughout this month; Our Lady’s Nativity on the 8th, the Exaltation of the Holy Cross on the 14th, the Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary on the 15th (the entire month of September is dedicated to Our Lady’s Sorrows), Saint Matthew the Apostle on the 21st, Our Lady of Clemency on the 24th and the Dedication of Saint Michael the Archangel on the 29th.

We have had a busy and productive summer here with many repairs made to our beautiful buildings and garden. Outside, thanks to several generous donors, those odd plastic globe lamps have been replaced with very handsome fixtures more in keeping with the fencing and the church itself. Their new LED bulbs consume far less energy and provide much more light at night. The second floor lavatory is nearly finished making the parish hall environs far more welcoming and attractive.

Peter Richard Conte, Bernie Kunkel and I have spent happy time planning for an expanded music program that begins in October and will soon include the sung English Mass offered at 5 o’clock on Saturdays, full choral High Mass on Sundays and major feast days and Choral Evensong and Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament at 4 p.m. on Sunday afternoons. I am compelled to risk embarrassing Peter and Bernie by publishing their sacrificial generosity. In this new season both of these gifted gentlemen are taking on much more work with no additional compensation. They believe (as do I) that our parish has a significant responsibility to the larger church and the wider communities supporting music, art and learning that make Philadelphia such an exciting place to live, to learn and to pray. All Clementines and certainly all Clementones know we are called to give our absolute best to God here in reverent and reliable worship. Daily I am inspired by a marvelous combination of talent and unselfishness that are hallmarks of our music program and I am confident that the expanded offering we intend to make this season will be attractive to new members and friends of the parish.

Link to complete letter and website.

Now, before anyone says that the music program has a lot of money and can do whatever they want...a couple of years ago they had to stop weeknight rehearsals of their choir (which includes talented paid singers, singing Gregorian Chant in Latin) and sing on Sundays rehearsing that day only, unless things have changed.
  • I like the original title of your converstation, Noel.
    This could be....., ought to be....., but never will be...... descriptive of...... .
  • Title reverted...

This will never happen, partially due to a lack of education and training in the seminaries, partially due to a lack of interest among us to bring this to their awareness.

The days of paying a janitor to keep the church clean and open the doors and paying an organist to play and sing for daily Mass - even if the church is nearly empty - and then lead the choir on Sunday are all gone, buried under the failure of the church to support teaching sister communities, Catholic schools and the whole aura of being Catholic.

Instead we are wonderfully ecumenical.
  • partially due to a lack of interest among us to bring this to their awareness.

Also because we get fired or suppressed if we do bring it to their attention.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Yes, this is the challenge.

Being savvy enough to sell improving the music to the choir and congregation through example rather than trying to educate them.

And doing the same with the clergy who supervise.

If a priest says he wants everything improved, you've got to work out a weekly meeting to review any changes with him, otherwise he can get blind-sided by people who are resistant to change.

The priest at St. Clement's does have a really good way of communicating. I could force many non-Roman priests telling people NOT to participate or pay any attention to the Pope's visit. Here they are housing pilgrims who want to be here.