Mode iv reciting tone
  • Andrew_Malton
    In Fr Weber's new book, The Proper of the Mass, the (new?) Communion antiphon (Quaemadmodum/Like the deer, see p 627) is in mode 4, and the accompanying psalm verses recite on sol, that is a minor third above the finalis. This surprised me. At first I thought it it a mistake (Fr Weber's older versions of this have the regular gloria-patri tone for the verses, reciting on la, and sometimes modern editions have mode 4 recitiation on ti). But on closer examination, it's clearly deliberate. This expands my knowledge about psalm singing practice... can anyone tell me more?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    Briefly:

Mode four is plagal, and all plagal modes recite on the third above the final: II(re) on fa; IV(mi) on sol; VI(fa) on la; and VIII(sol) on ti(!). The reciting tones of modes IV and VIII moved up to the fourth above over time, IV to la, and VIII to do (mode VIII reciting on ti has yet to be restored). Mode IV also recites on re with the final on la, but this is a simple transposition to allow for the alternate use of both the semitone above the final (la/te) and the whole-tone (la/ti) in the melodies of antiphons. Caveat, that IV reciting on 're' has be reallocated to a variant of mode II in the new Solesmes antiphonals.
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton