How Does Vernacular Help Understanding?
  • Adam, John,

I find it difficult to swallow that the words called "Hebrew" were Aramaic instead. Might one just as seriously decide that when Christ said "Whose sins you forgive.... whose sins you retain", He didn't really mean those things? Maybe He meant "Peas be with you!", or "Please, [can I] be with YOU".

The languages of the liturgy matter in part, but not exclusively, because these languages were maintained within the Roman rite for centuries. Archaeologism has been condemned by the Church.
  • CharlesW
    I don't know what has gotten into you revisionists. Jesus spoke Latin at the Last Supper. He and the apostles sang Gregorian chant with Solesmes editorial markings and read from the lectionary of Trent - he was God and could see into the future. They were waited on by women in mantillas and skirts to their ankles wearing large rosaries around their waists.
  • CharlesW
    The languages of the liturgy matter in part, but not exclusively, because these languages were maintained within the Roman rite for centuries. Archaeologism has been condemned by the Church.

The Roman Rite waffled a bit on languages in the earlier centuries. Much of what is viewed as sacred tradition originated from the Medieval church. Probably more a case of sacred inertia than being organically developmental in any sense. Granted, I don't advocate throwing the baby out with the bath water, but the whole language thing has long ago left the realm of reason.

As far as Hebrew/Aramaic goes, the ancient world was awash in languages. Speaking several languages was the order of the day. It seems to me that by the time of Jesus, the center of Jewish intellectual life had moved to Alexandria where Greek was commonly spoken. Hebrew had become more of a language used by the temple cult, not the everyday people. Aramaic was more likely the language used in that area.
  • dad29
    The Roman Rite waffled a bit on languages in the earlier centuries.

So what? You're proposing that 300 years (or so) of local lingo should be prioritized over 1500+ years of Latin? Really? We all know that Latin is not subject to meaning-shift, as are vernaculars. So there *just may be* a case for it.

Probably more a case of sacred inertia than being organically developmental in any sense.

Got cite?

Hebrew had become more of a language used by the temple cult, not the everyday people.

THAT is the point. Hierarchic language, along with 'sacred time, sacred space, and sacred music' is the sine qua non of liturgy, rightly understood.
  • CharlesW
    So what? You're proposing that 300 years (or so) of local lingo should be prioritized over 1500+ years of Latin?

Yes, but those early years are when the faith was defined and solidified. After the fall of Rome, everything degraded and deteriorated. I wouldn't look to the western medieval period as any high point of culture or liturgy.

• johnmann
    @Christ

Archaeologism has been condemned by the Church.

You're the one who brought up the Last Supper and the inscription on the Cross as evidence that God wants us to use Latin.

The same Church that condemned archaelogism, endorsed the vernacular. Condemnation of archaelogism is not a condemnation of development, even a development to restore prior practices. Vernacular liturgy was seen as a positive development in its own right, not because Jesus used it.
  • John,

My apologies for being unclear.

Archaeologism is the theory that we can skip from our present era all the way back to some imaginary, pristine church of the (allegedly) apostolic age. Tradition, on the other hand, involves the handing on, from generation to generation, of beliefs and practices connected to those beliefs.

So, Hebrew, Greek and Latin were nailed to the Cross. The Last Supper was conducted in Hebrew. The earliest Masses, given that they were conducted by a Jewish carpenter and his Jewish apostles, were probably in Hebrew. Greek followed, and Latin came after that. To this day -- at least in the Extraordinary Form -- these three languages are in use, and have been in unbroken line. Modern vernaculars, on the other hand, can't claim ancient status or constant use, except in one good Catholic way, and one evil Protestant one: in evangelization (good); in asserting that God wants us to worship Him in our own language (evil).
  • Liam
    "in asserting that God wants us to worship Him in our own language (evil)."

Only if the assertion is specifically that God wants that to the express exclusion of Hebrew, Latin or Greek.....
  • Liam,

Vernacular languages aren't evil -- and I'm not proposing that they are, or that the Church considers them evil, or that God considers vernacular languages evil.

In precisely the same manner that it is possible to receive Our Lord under both species, but not necessary, the Church realizes the value of vernacular languages as part of our conversation with God, but doesn't require that we use vernacular languages. I left out a word in the assertion you cite, and I'm sorry that I did so.

so, I correct my assertion: "in asserting that God wants us to worship Him only in our own language."
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • Here's a thought: the Protestant notion of church on Sunday is very preacher oriented and the purpose of the service is only to hear the Word of God and listen to the pastors message. The Catholic notion (or at least is used to be this way) is more akin to the old Jewish idea of going to Temple: you come to church to pray and worship. Yes, you're going to hear the Word, but that's not it: there's also going to be a sacrifice, the words to whose ritual you do not have to understand to know that a sacrifice is taking place. So while youre praying and offering yourself to God, recalling your sins and asking Him for help, the priest is offering a sacrifice. From the Protestant notion, one can easily see how any language other than one easily understood by the common person would not be suitable: the whole idea is that you are going to listen and understand the Word and preaching. For them, I would imagine, when they are told that Mass was done entirely in Latin, they immediately conjur up images of their own Sunday services complete with preacher speaking a language they don't understand and trying to get the message out of it. My very Baptist mother in law reminded me that most Protestants don't understand that the Mass is a sacrifice and that its not all about the Word. However, from the Catholic notion of coming to the Temple, the Liturgy must necessarily contain aspects that remain solely in the realm of the ordained, who is called by God to perform the special function (which all else is forbidden to perform) of offering the true sacrifice of Christ on the altar. I am not sure that the "active participation" of the laity in that sacrifice makes anything better, even for the laity who now have an increased role. There is a prayer I recently learned and I have been reciting it like a litany ever since: "O Lord Jesus, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner." This is a perfect summation of worship: we acknowledge who God is, and then we acknowledge that we are nothing without Him, and furthermore we acknowledge His power to save us and deliver us from the evils that torment us in our lives, and even further, we ask Him to do exactly that. In this short, poignant prayer, we run to the Lord in our time in of need, and also acknowledge Him for who He is. The Lord's Prayer does this also. Perfect examples of anthropocentric church services vs theocentric.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Here's a thought: the Protestant notion of church on Sunday is very preacher oriented and the purpose of the service is only to hear the Word of God and listen to the pastors message. The Catholic notion (or at least is used to be this way) is more akin to the old Jewish idea of going to Temple: you come to church to pray and worship. Yes, you're going to hear the Word, but that's not it: there's also going to be a sacrifice, the words to whose ritual you do not have to understand to know that a sacrifice is taking place. So while youre praying and offering yourself to God, recalling your sins and asking Him for help, the priest is offering a sacrifice. From the Protestant notion, one can easily see how any language other than one easily understood by the common person would not be suitable: the whole idea is that you are going to listen and understand the Word and preaching. For them, I would imagine, when they are told that Mass was done entirely in Latin, they immediately conjur up images of their own Sunday services complete with preacher speaking a language they don't understand and trying to get the message out of it. My very Baptist mother in law reminded me that most Protestants don't understand that the Mass is a sacrifice and that its not all about the Word. However, from the Catholic notion of coming to the Temple, the Liturgy must necessarily contain aspects that remain solely in the realm of the ordained, who is called by God to perform the special function (which all else is forbidden to perform) of offering the true sacrifice of Christ on the altar. I am not sure that the "active participation" of the laity in that sacrifice makes anything better, even for the laity who now have an increased role. There is a prayer I recently learned and I have been reciting it like a litany ever since: "O Lord Jesus, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner." This is a perfect summation of worship: we acknowledge who God is, and then we acknowledge that we are nothing without Him, and furthermore we acknowledge His power to save us and deliver us from the evils that torment us in our lives, and even further, we ask Him to do exactly that. In this short, poignant prayer, we run to the Lord in our time in of need, and also acknowledge Him for who He is. The Lord's Prayer does this also. Perfect examples of anthropocentric church services vs theocentric.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks so much for this, and for mentioning the Jesus prayer. I just read somewhere the other day that the Kyrie was based on the plea of the ten lepers as Jesus passes by: Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me, a sinner. I like to say the Divine Mercy prayer during The Offertory and Canon of the Mass: "Eternal Father, I offer You the body, blood, soul and divinity in atonement for my sins and those of the whole world."
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Liam
    CK

I believe your comment exaggerates a distinction between Word and Sacrament for Catholic understanding of the Mass, which teaches that the Christ is *really present* not only in the Sacrament (a presence that is "par excellence") but also in the proclamation of the Word, in the person of the priest, and in the gathered Body of Christ of the Faithful. So, while a private Mass is valid, it's a form of minimalism to diminish the importance of the proclamation of the Word to the gathered Body. There's a nuptial sacred conversation going on.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • tomjaw
    Liam
    If Christ is truly present at each and every (valid) Mass, how can we say that one type of Mass is better than another (Minimalism above comment). Is a Papal Mass with thousands of people present 'better' than a private low Mass with just the priest present? Revelations to the Saints have implied that some saints / actions are more pleasing to God than others, the low Mass said by a saintly priest may be more pleasing, even though all valid Masses are equal.

Also the gathered Body of Christ will also contain the Church Triumphant...

The laws on indulgences imply that 20 Low Masses for the Holy Souls should be better than 1 concelebrated Sung Mass.

By focusing on the Word aspect we run the risk that poorly attended Masses are not as good. My parish has recently stopped one of the Sunday Masses (N.O.), the reason, Visiting supply priests were not happy to travel to celebrate Mass for less than 40 people!
  • Liam
    Tom

You read something into what I wrote that I didn't write.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    Liam,
    Yes I did not think you really meant this. I wanted demonstrate that a happy medium is needed as going to far the other way causes other problems.
  • Liam
    Agreed. But a good deal of the Liturgical Movement was dialing back to liturgical richness and fullness and away from a focus on validity and quantification on the one hand, or mere instrumentalism on the other. Praxis that is ruddered by a reactive fear of the falling into the excesses of Protestantism (that is: we don't want our liturgies to smack of Protestant sermon-fests) ends up being ruddered by Protestantism - just in the inverse.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • In the debate about whether or not the first Pontifical High Mass (the Last Supper) offered by Our Lord was chanted in Hebrew or Aramaic, I only have this to offer: the Maronites originally come from the Holy Land. They were "the original Christians" says Fr. James Meagher in his book, "How Christ said the First Mass". They were forced to flee to the mountains of Lebanon because of several persecutions. They always chant the Consecration at Mass in Aramaic, which is the language Jesus spoke. Their Liturgy is one of the oldest in the Church. It predates the Roman rite. So I think that it is reasonable to conclude that at least the Consecration was offered in Aramaic from the beginning.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Praxis that is ruddered by a reactive fear of the falling into the excesses of Protestantism (that is: we don't want our liturgies to smack of Protestant sermon-fests) ends up being ruddered by Protestantism - just in the inverse.

Then there's the notion that V2 actually wanted to Protestantize the Mass. Although I cannot produce any viable evidence of this, I have heard this claim multiple times from independent sources. One of them being a journalist who claimed to have heard it from a close friend of Paul VI that His Holiness wanted to remove things that were "too Catholic" from the Mass. It stands to reason, as there were six Protestant ministers present, who (it's not too far-fetched to claim this, considering the "ecumenism" sought by V2) likely told the Pope that if he wanted to be more welcoming and "ecumenical" to Protestants, the first things that would have to go would be Gregorian chant and Latin, since they simply smack of Catholicism.
  • Inspired by Liam: The sacramental theology books of the 1950s are filled with references to St. Thomas and Trent, but also to the prayers in the rites of conferring the sacraments. That is a good thing, and I would argue that the fullness can really only come out with the external signs of the usus antiquior. I’m convinced even the more streamlined liturgy of 1964 (of the constitution) and of 1965 (Inter oecumenici) is less edifying. Now those books are worthless as far as the ritual comments go because it all changed.
  • cogitationes collectæ:

I. melius forsan esset aut latine aut uulgate missam cantare integram, neque ambobus linguis. "non intelligo," aiunt qui sunt auribus indocti, "cantum latinum, sed cantus et potest anglice cantari, et uero tres fuerunt cantiones anglicae ante in hac missa: quo igitur bono hoc Babel? ubinam Dominum celauerunt?!" sed si esset integritas linguæ non ita dicerent.

II. popularibus excisis deuotionibus, onus et liturgicum et deuotionale fit sacræ liturgiæ ferre. deuotio hodierna in liturgia uulgata ipsa exprimitur, et authenticius uulgate exprimitur.

III. cultus modernus est cultura infirmus; romanitas nondum celebratur, immo inculturatio. summa autem romanitatis lingua latina; summa inculturationis linguæ uulgatæ. (non autem bene puto aestimamus quantam res catholicas, e.g. cantum gregorianum, linguam latinam, uestimenta, incensum, &c., partem in cultura haberent americana, et alta et populari. erant res haud extraneæ, quarum abolitio non poterat sine effectu.)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Shouldn't "celaverunt" be "celauerunt" (it sort of jumped out at me)?