Copyright issue raised at Synod?
  • chonakchonak
    A friend tells me that some participants in the recent Synod were interested in the issue of copyrighted Scripture texts: that an African bishop spoke about copyrights as driving up the cost of Catholic Bibles, especially in comparison to Protestant editions.

Does anyone know whether the Synod interventions have been published anywhere?
  • I would like to know too. Nothing is clearer than that the widespread copyright/royalty policies of liturgical texts are exploitative of the poor and are economically stagnating. I sense a growing consciousness of this. The Church needs to take the lead on this and insist that all core texts for Mass be made common property.
  • chonakchonak
    To answer my own question, the Synod interventions are on-line at:
    http://www.vatican.va/news_services/press/sinodo/documents/bollettino_22_xii-ordinaria-2008/bollettino_22_xii_ordinaria-2008_index_interventi_xx.html

So far I have only found this: Abp. Ignatius Ayau Kaigama of Jos, Nigeria, had these pastoral recommendations on October 9:

"SUGGESTIONS: Pastors to teach personal scripture reading so that Christians meet Jesus in it as dialogue with God. In Nigeria, we encourage ownership of the Bible , even by those who cannot read. In some cases it is a precondition for baptism, marriage and confirmation. Catholics with means to donate Bibles. Parents to present Bible at child’s baptism which will be kept for the child till he or she can read it. We encourage the enthronement and sharing Bible at home and among family members. Catholic editions of the Bible are expensive, they should be available and affordable with more translations into native languages. There is a need to train Bible instructors, catechists and translators. There should be weekly Bible catechesis as the Holy Father does. Church movements should begin meetings by sharing from the Bible. Neighbourhood Gospel sharing should be encouraged. Personal readings of Bible passages daily can root the Christian in Gospel values and bring about economic, political and social transformation at home and at work."
  • I'm afraid that the IP issue isn't on the radar screen. the whole of the liturgical structure is tethered by the nation-state with grievous consequences and hardly anyone knows to even look into it.