Salve Regina in English, to Simple Tone
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Looking for a translation of Salve Regina that actually fits the Latin meter.
    Already set to the Simple Tone would be great, but I can re-engrave as needed.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Thanks @JonLaird !

I tweaked the text a little and re-engraved in Gregorio.

For anyone who might need this:

Image File (PNG)
    PDF Version on Github (click [Raw] to download)
    GABC File
    Thanked by 1JonLaird
  • Kathy
    Adam, fyi: blesssed fruit (blessedsissimo)
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • ronkrisman

But that's not what you produced. The Latin Salve Regina chant is completely syllabic, except for the melismas in the concluding "O clemens, O pia, O dulcis."

I suggest you take a look at Fr. John Selner's translation, which follows the Latin syllables exactly and does not create neums that are not in the Latin version.
  • chonakchonak
    I'm not sure who wrote this version:
    (Sorry for the poorly trimmed screenshot.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

But that's not what you produced.

Since it isn't a exactly a metrical chant, I should have said something like "works with the original chant melody" --- as opposed to a literal trans. or something like "Hail Holy Queen"

Anyway, I'm not super happy with the current result, and the more I sing it, the worse it gets. (In my defense, I think my changes improved it slightly, but I think the version I started from wasn't great.

I suggest you take a look at Fr. John Selner's translation, which follows the Latin syllables exactly and does not create neums that are not in the Latin version.

Where can I find this?
  • Adam,

I think all of GIA's major hymnals (going back to at least Worship, Third Edition) have Fr. John Selner's translation. The translation was © in 1954 by GIA.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • rich_enough
    There's also the version by Theodore Marier originally published in the Pius X Hymnal and reprinted in Hymns, Psalms and Spiritual Canticles.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • All the Marian antiphons are to be found in English in The Plainsong Psalter, published by the Lancelot Andrewes Press. They are each accompanied by the versicle and response and collect which goes with them.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CGM
    Adam,

I thought I'd take a crack at it.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • ronkrisman
    NRFPT IMHO
  • chonakchonak
    Yeah, the consonant collision at "Hail, Queen" is not easy to pronounce, for starters.
  • Priestboi
    How about this?

I had to make some minor adjustments for the English, but kept what I could of the examples posted.

Also used a little repetition and alliteration to move the text forward.

The final phrase with "Virgin Mary" is not solvable for me quite yet. I added an extra beat for the lower note to add a sort of rhythmic distraction to the awkward interval.

Im now trying to put it into Afrikaans...while sighing in this vale of tears!