Regina Caeli in English --- O Queen of Heaven
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I was recently in need of an English version of Regina Caeli, and I was unsatisfied with any of the versions I could find.

This attempts to cling tenaciously to the Latin while also fitting the meter and melodic contour better than other version I have found.

Feel free to use.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Apologies for the wet blanket, but don't you mean than other PD versions? (I'm looking around for a free English Alma Redemtoris myself.)

To my ear C. Winifred Douglas' (GIA) and Paul Ford's (By Flowing Waters) "be joyful" is closer to the italianate manner of singing "laetare" than "re-ejoice" (How about "rejöice"?). There's also a bit of a bump with "just as he said" which I sing "sicut dixit" and CWD and PF render "as he promised".
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • All these antiphons are in English versions in the back of The Plainsong Psalter, to be had from the Lancelot Andrewes Press. They are accompanied there by the versicle, response, and collect that goes with them.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Yeah, I dislike C. Winifred Douglas' version greatly.

I think beginning with "Queen of Heaven" is moderately important, so I don't care for the "Be joyful Mary" versions, which invert the order and also remove the title. The versions that put "be joyful" over the notes of "laetare" just sound super awkward to me.

I know that, taken by itself, the accent in "rejoice" is on the second syllable, so there's something hinky about re-ee-joice. However, I think that in context it works -- the hard landing on "joice" provides the accent. -- Also, I sing the two notes of "re-ee--" quickly, like eighth notes (to mix systems a bit).

I think "just as he said" works much better than "as he promised" -- in fact, I think my dislike for the accent pattern in "as he promised" was the primary motivation for taking the trouble to do my own.

With "just as he said," there's a rhetorical accentuation of "just." Also, the end-line lengthening of "said" evens out the stress patterns, coming close to the natural pattern of the words: "just as he said" (ONE two three ONE!)

These are, of course, just my opinions. I often disagree with people about how exactly word accents should align with musical contour. (BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG AND TALKS FUNNY.)

• SalieriSalieri
    However, I think that in context it works -- the had landing on "joice" provides the accent.

Thus the use of the episema on 'joice' - mark of expression, not, per se, length.

FWIW, I like this setting.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Well, de disgustibus &c. Just to BE clear, though, all three begin with "O Queen of Heaven".
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Yes, you're right. I ran across one or two that didn't, and didn't go back to look as I was writing the above.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Bumping for upcoming Easter.

I still prefer this one to the other English adaptations I have seen. I also still prefer Latin to this one. But if this one helps, please use it for free. Or use a different one. Just sing it. It's the best one of the year.
    Thanked by 2Salieri lmassery
  • toddevoss
    Assuming a DM needs an English version for this Antiphon (for whatever reason), I prefer your approach (as a PIP). However, I just attended a Pentecost Solemn Mass (I had been a lector at my Catholic Vigil on Saturday) at a very very high Anglo-Catholic parish with a stunning 6 person choir. The Choir sang the ordinaries in Latin (very elaborate) plus a motet that was just incredible. However, after "dismissal" the congregation sang the attached metrical englished Regina Caeli. I know I know - lots of folks don't like seasonal hymn tunes being used in this way, but I will say this really "worked". So this could be an alternative. I don't know the precise rules of copyright/license.
  • toddevoss
    Attachment didn't see to work. trying again. If I can't get it uploaded the text is:
    Joy to thee, O' Queen of Heaven, Aleluia
    He whom thou was meet to bear, Aleluia
    As He promised hath a-ris'n, Aleluia
    Pour for us to God thy Prayer, Aleluia

Hymn Tune - Easter Hymn 77 77 /Lyra Davidica
  • chonakchonak
    Attachments tend to fail if there are spaces or certain punctuation marks in the name. Apostrophes and quotation marks are not accepted by the forum software. If that's the case for your file, you can rename it and try again.

It is safe to have hyphens or underscores in a file name; a period should only appear at the end, with the extension to indicate the file type: ".pdf", ".jpg", ".mp3", etc.

https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/14876/why-can039t-i-upload-any-files
    Thanked by 1toddevoss
  • An English version of the Regina caeli (as well as the other three Marian antiphons) appears with its collect and responses in the back of St Dunstan's Plainsong Psalter, published by the Lancelot Andrewes Press. All of these are singable translations which fit their historic plainchant melodies.

The main body of this psalter features the entire Miles Coverdale psalter pointed for singing to the historic Gregorian psalm tones. This is a book which every choirmaster should own, and might consider acquiring for his or her entire choir.

Here is the translation of the Regina caeli, which fits the mode vi chant melody -
    O queen of heaven, be joyful, alleluya:
    Because he whom thou so meetly barest, alleluya:
    Hath arisen as he promis'd, alleluya:
    Pray for us to the Father, alleluya.

Thanked by 1toddevoss
  • Theodore Marier's adaptation: Mary, Queen of Heav'n, be joyful, Alleluia. For he whom thou hast merited to bear, Alleluia. He is risen as he foretold, Alleluia. Plead with God our sins to spare, Alleluia.
  • bonniebede
    Here is what we use, we usually sing it both in english and in Latin, one of the goals at our mass is to train in the children.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    It's interesting to reconsider these after a few years. Actually, if I imagine French accent they're kind of nice. ;-P