Less than 6 months!
  • gregpgregp
    Per the counter on the main Musica Sacra page, we now have less than 6 months until Colloquium XIX! Huzzah!!!

Too early to start carpool planning? Just askin'.
  • wow!

we are being super duper disciplined about specifics (music etc.) and leaving all decisions until January.

But you did notice that we have Cardinal George, right? Whoo hoo!
  • Jeez . . . for a minute there I thought you were counting down the months until Beach Season on the Jersey Shore!

(David Andrew is typing from the Twin Cities, where it's a balmy 0 degrees).
  • Greg, the way the airlines are so....., well you know, a road trip from Salinas/Visalia just might be doable.
  • I would suggest that Margot Fassler would be an excellent speaker for the colloquium.
    Her enthusiasm is as profound as her scholarship.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    What about Fr. Rutler? Can we get him?
  • What we need is a year round Chant University!
  • I'm already sad that I can't go this year! Have to keep thinking thoughts of Spain and antiphon fragments...
  • miacoyne
    Up to how many people can you have in colloquium this year?
  • Pretty big facilities so I think we should be fine, surely.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I would love to bring my whole high school choir, all 33 students!
  • I second the idea to have Fr. Rutler.
  • chonakchonak
    Can he sing?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Fr. Rutler is a composer and loves Sacred music.
  • priorstf
    Jeffrey - I'd like to see a Chant Teacher's College alongside that University of yours. As one who thinks semiology is the study of 18-wheel big rigs, I'm looking for lessons on the practical side of organizing and supporting scholae. Many many hours of singing chant and polyphony with others is indeed wonderful, and that's what the Colloquium schedule offers.

I'd appreciate a track that permits some singing, but focuses primarily on the details of selecting music for OF and EF Masses and Sacraments, coordinating with liturgists, designing music programs for Vespers, Morning Prayers, etc., etc., etc. I guess you might say that on behalf of the groups I'm working with, my time would be better spent on a working vacation than a week in paradise.
  • miacoyne
    What we need is a year round Chant University!
    Seriously!
    With our advanced technology, why not chant ON-LINE college by CMAA? Start witn one course, like complete course on Vespers from Lent to Easter. Tuition $__. Provide audio samples, interpretation of the chants, resourses, sample music list and program for everyweek ---. (interactive) There are so many courses you can offer in Chant Teacher's college. I'm sure there are many who can take advantage of these courses on line, while CMAA can make profits. Also, this way musicians who are retiring or retired from MD positions or other active music positions can share their vast amount of experiences and knowledge in a more practical way. Then, the colloquium can still be a week of paradise which the musicians can enjoy at least once a year.
    Crazy idea?
  • Mia and Jeff T: I'm seriously thinking of doing something like this. I'm going to set up a dedicated discussion for it.
  • Mia,
    I like your idea for an online course. Ideally it could also include one or two weekend gatherings of the participants.
  • Dedicated discussion here.