Come, Ye Faithful-SATB, organ, strings, brass, flute....plus Finale help
  • Heath
    Friends, I arranged the attached for our Easter Vigil service. Once I get the kinks worked out, feel free to use it!

Speaking of kinks . . . a number of questions as I transition from Lilypond to Finale 2014:

--When I choose to print something, it gives me the option of printing the score, violin 1 part, etc . . . but I have no idea how to e-mail the violinist her part ALONE. Again, I can print it, but I don't know how to send a PDF of anything other than the full score.

--I put something in the "Lyricist" line in the initial set-up, but it doesn't show up in the score. Why is this?

--On page 4, I'm unable to get rid of the organ pedal line (which is empty), but it let me do it at the bottom of the next page. Also, it will not let me hide the empty brass staves on the top of p. 6.

...and I'm open to any other layout issues that you spot and know how to fix. Thanks!

PDF, Finale 2014 and Finale 2012 files attached. (NOTE: I lied . . . apparently we can't attach Finale files here? PM me with your e-mail address if you'd like to look at the source file.)
  • BenBen
    Problem 1: Try something like this:
    http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

It installs itself as a virtual printer on your computer. When you "print" to it, the output is saved as a PDF.
  • BenBen
    Also, for the finale problems, you can share them if you put them in dropbox then share the links. PM me if you want a hand with that :)
  • JDE
    Finale also has a built-in PDF maker, at least in the 2014 version. It's under File | Export. And to do the individual parts, just go to Document | Edit part | Violin 1 (or whatever part you want) and then export it from that view.

About the stubborn empty staves .... make sure they don't contain any actual rests (as opposed to filler rests). Also check the group properties and make sure the groups are allowed to optimize normally. This can vary from system to system, so make sure you edit the group properties for the whole document.

Lyricist --- you use the text tool to put the lyricist info into a text box. It's under Text | Inserts.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Heath
    JDE, very helpful, thanks!

"check the group properties and make sure the groups are allowed to optimize normally"

Can't say I understood this . . . elaborate or send me to a Finale help link, if you don't mind?
  • JDE
    In the staff menu, where you select staves and add a group to them (if you use the setup wizard, this is done for you when the file is created). Just right-click on the handle of a bracket and it will offer some context choices, such as Edit Group Attributes. In the Group Attributes dialogue box, you will see a choice of how to allow staves to be hidden (default is Hide Normally), as well as where to draw the barlines (I usually do through staves for instrumental groups and only on staves for choirs). In the upper right portion of the box, there is a choice for which measures this will affect -- if you do it from staff view, you will probably get "All Measures" by default, but it's easy to make a change that applies only to a few measures if you do it from the page layout view.
  • ghmus7
    As far as deleting measures tge eaisiest way is to just highlight them with mouse an hit delete.