Little White Guest
  • Mozart's AV is sublime, but appears easy enough for any choir to sing.

It's not.

Don't blame Mozart. That's like blaming a Pope for having to shake hands at a NO Mass.
  • Liam
    I don't think Kathy was blaming Mozart or dissing his AVC, so much as appreciating Byrd's even more. (And Josquin des Prez's....)
  • BenBen
    I'm not a fan of Mozart's Ave Verum either. Not because of how it's usually sung, but the composition itself...
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    I'm going to back a third party and say Guilmant's AVC is an undiscovered gem that needs more air time.

Also, the title of the titular song can't help but bring this to mind . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXFFLuoaMzM
  • G
    There was an old-fashioned but quite sturdy Eucharistic hymn which Jeff Tucker, IIRC, brought to the New Liturgical Movement when I had need of such things, maybe 10 years back?
    Kathy Pluth had some suggestions for re-witing the text.
    It was a very sweet Portuguese folk tune, IIRC.
    Someone who was banned from here had snarky things to say about it, which all but anointed it it many people's eyes.
    Anyone remember it?
    (I do not mention it as a criticism of the song discussion of which began this thread. Anything is better than being asked to claim in song that "I myself am the bread...."
    While it is true that "not as bad as" is not much of a recommendation, we should keep in mind that some people have limited avenues to explore because of custom and committees, and something that might not be up to your standards, or even his in a perfect world may well be the best choice open to him in the present situation.)
    Save the Liturgy, Save the World!
  • Not because of how it's usually sung, but the composition itself...

Why.