Excellence in Printed Liturgical Programs
  • Here was the Midnight Mass booklet we used at the local parish. The chant propers were from Fr. Weber's forthcoming PROPER OF THE MASS.

I think it's important for everything connected with the liturgy to be as beautiful as possible, conveying the qualities of reverence, permanence, and solemnity.
  • And here was the companion booklet for the Mass of the Day.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    These are beautiful. I especially like the use of red.

I'm always concerned about providing lyrics-only for congregational music. The argument could be that everyone knows the tune already for Christmas music. The counter-argument is that seeing notes for tunes you already know is part of the way we learn to read music in the first place. I think that the use of lyrics-without-music-notation is one of the major factors contributing to the rise of musical illiteracy.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • These are indeed uncommonly beautiful. I do, though, miss composers, tune names, authors, and scriptural notations. Still, these really set a high bar! The use of decorated intitials is awfully nice, the layout clean and inviting, the art superb, the fonts tasteful.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam, I generally agree with you. I would love to have provided the music and author information but I ran out of time! I had to produce these in one day... maybe next time will be better!

Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    clean and inviting, the art superb, the fonts tasteful.
    Indeed, as far as that goes, if (as noted) not especially hospitable to musically literate visitors. Two nitpicks:
    There is a pseudo-serial comma after "and heaven, and nature sing"
    I don't recognize the responsorial respond, but if there really must be a catch breath I would have preferred it "All the ends of the world ' have seen the saving pow'r of God"
  • SalieriSalieri
    Richard - I think Dr. K is following Vatican notational practice: quarter-bar (not a breath) indicates lengthening of the preceding note.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I have to disagree with using the Protestant hymn God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen if the final couplet "This holy tide of Christmas / All others doth deface" is going to be used. Apart from being old-fashioned and confusing (which I suspect was considered a feature and not a bug), it's objectively false: in Catholic thinking Paschaltide is substantially holier than Christmastide. This introduces a theological flaw and error as to the liturgical calendar which are not consistent with good liturgy. It's all well and good to be careful about the fonts and drop-caps of our liturgical programs, but the content of what does in them ought to occupy much more of our thinking.
  • francis
  • MT is right -
    Some carols are better understood as religious song rather than as liturgically apt music. While I like and thoroughly enjoy 'God rest you merry', I do so as a seasonal and extra-liturgical delight, rather in the same vein as 'Deck the halls', than as something fit for liturgy, or even pre-liturgy because of its jocular nature. It belongs, say, in the parish hall festivities after mass.

As for Mark's '...all others doth deface', he is correct in offering substantial reason for not including this carol in worship. I can fail to be upset by it because I understand its allusion to that particular joy, that unique 'merriness' which marks our Christmastide. There is, in fact, nothing like it in our entire year. The joy of Easter may be a greater joy, but even it does not call forth that peculiar cheerfulness and universal good will of Christmastide in our culture. And, we must remember that without the Incarnation there would be no Easter. So, to my mind, there is a certain equality of profundity.

So, God rest you merry, gentleman (and ladies), for God is now with us.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    in Catholic thinking Paschaltide is substantially holier than Christmastide.
    Which is why we merely bow deeply at "Et incarnatus" but stand solemnly errect for "Et resurrexit"?
  • Liam
    For font geeks, or people who might be interested in typography:

http://blog.8faces.com/post/103548341771/typographers-typefaces
    Thanked by 2francis Adam Wood
  • francis
    from another thread... not a program but a sample of contemporary illuminated manuscript using vector objects.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Thanked by 3MarkThompson Ben cmb
  • kevinfkevinf
    Are you saying that you like Garamond Adam?

Typography is a whole 'nother debate. And you think church musician debates are rough and tumble....
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I do like Garamond. But the joke is that it's used for every liturgical printing project in the Episcopal Church.

Which isn't 100% accurate, actually. They use Sabon, which is a member of the Garamond family but is not, strictly speaking, Garamond itself.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • SalieriSalieri
    Adam, for years I've been wondering what font the Episcopal Church used for their books. Now I know. I can die in peace.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Someone asked me privately which font I used for the drop caps. Here it is:

http://www.dafont.com/medieval-victoriana.font

I highly recommend exploring dafont.com, especially for initials and medieval stuff.
  • GavinGavin
    Here's an excellent article on many of these issues: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/faithforward/2015/01/trust-me-church-how-your-bulletin-makes-me-feel-like-i-do-or-dont-belong/

I will say that when I've been to Catholic Masses with programs, the programs are MOST unfriendly to visitors. You might get a list of four hymns, with no idea when they come. Readings but no responses. Even if you are Catholic, you never get clued in to the parish idiosyncrasies of standing or kneeling. And don't get me started that most of the singing, that which those here champion as the "first and second" levels of participation, is not in the bulletin, not printed, not listed anywhere!

Excellence in bulletins/programs is essential to allowing visitors the freedom to engage as fully as they are able or desire in worship. It's basic hospitality, which is a command of our Lord.
  • RevAMG
    In response to the God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen discussion, it is wise to look at the Collect for the the Mass during the Night for Christmas:

O God, who have made this most sacred night radiant with the splendor of the true light, grant, we pray, that we, who have known the mysteries of his light on earth, may also delight in his gladness in heaven.

And then compare it to the greeting at Lucernarium at the Easter Vigil:

Dear brethren (brothers and sisters), on this most sacred night, in which our Lord Jesus Christ passed over from death to life...

And the Collect itself for the Easter Vigil:

O God, who make this most sacred night radiant with the glory of the Lord’s Resurrection, stir up in your Church a spirit of adoption, so that, renewed in body and mind, we may render you undivided service.

In the end, I think Christmastide and Paschaltide are equally solemn, perhaps in different ways, focusing on different aspects of Christ's life, although not necessarily equal rubrically. In spiritual theology, this is the "French School" versus the "German School" of spirituality. In the Church, "most" doesn't necessarily mean to the greatest or highest degree in the singular. It would seem that there could be more than one "most sacred night."

Nonetheless, we cannot forget the rubrics for the The Easter Vigil in the Holy Night which state Of this night’s Vigil, which is the greatest and most noble of all solemnities, there is to be only one celebration in each church.
  • @melofuent
    We only use the Alstott Mass for the Chrismas Season. Not because I particularly care for it but because:
    1. we use different settings for different seasons, typically
    a) Alstott for Christmas Season
    b) Mass in honor of St. Ignatius (by Weissmann) for Ordinary Time
    c) Missa Emmanuel for Advent
    d) Proulx Community Mass for Easter
    e) Mass XVIII for Lent

2. The Cathedral gets a lot of visitors during the Christmas Season and the Alstott Mass is known at most parishes in the diocese. In order to have a singing assembly we thus use it for the Christmas Season.

We actually have licenses with OCP, GIA and WLP. All things set aside in regards to OCP, one thing I do appreciate with them is that they typically do not change the texts of traditional hymns like GIA does.

(We treated St. Ignatius as a solemnity for a Mass celebrated by our bishop on Friday, as he is a Jesuit and requested it as such.)
    Thanked by 1BruceL