Mass XIV, Missa Jesu Redemptor
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Our schola is singing Mass XIV for Advent and most of the Christmas season as well.

Has anyone else ever sung this mass setting? It's quite enchanting. : )

I see that Henri de Villiers at Ste. Eugene-Ste. Cecile in Paris has it on his program for the First Sunday of Advent and says it is the ancient Parisian custom to sing Kyrie XIV on Advent I.
  • tomjaw
    This Mass had a suggested use in the L.U. (1950's and earlier editions) for during Octaves (not of the BVM). We sing this Mass on the Sundays within the former octaves that have now sadly been abolished.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    That's a great idea, Tom. What mass settings do you use for Advent/ Christmas / Epiphany?
  • We are using VIII for Advent and Christmas.
  • We are going with IV this year.
  • gregpgregp
    We are using XVIII this year, partly because I'll be gone for the 3rd and 4th Sundays and they needed something fairly easy, partly because we sang the Hildegard Mass in October and November and they needed something less stressful.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Gregp, please enlighten me on the Hildegard Mass. What's not to like just from the title?
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • gregpgregp
    The web site for the ICKSP has absolutely frantabulous large format propers and ordinary settings, including one ascribed to St. Hildegard (listed as Mass 19).

http://www.institute-christ-king.org/latin-mass-resources/sacred-music/
    Thanked by 1Roborgelmeister
  • tomjaw
    That's a great idea, Tom. What mass settings do you use for Advent/ Christmas / Epiphany?

Well last Sunday we sang Missa Dixit Maria, Hassler...
    Usually we would do the following,

Advent Sundays, Mass XVII (using 2nd Kyrie, we use the other during Lent), Credo II

Christmas Eve / day, Mass IX OR II, Credo I
    Feasts of SS Stephen, John, Mass IV Credo I
    Other feasts... Octave day / Epiphany etc. Mass II OR III Credo I
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for this, Tomjaw. I love Mass II, and the Hassler Mass is wonderful.

Credo II is a new one for me. I just looked it up, and it's lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaRXKjmMRrs
  • eft94530eft94530
    Mass XVII Advent and Christmas.
    When the Gloria is permitted it comes from Mass VIII.