Hymns in literature and film
  • I'm teaching an evening class called "Discovering Hymns", and after working my students very hard so they can tell their Watts from their Wesley, and recognise Double Common Metre at a hundred paces, I thought I'd lighten the mood in the final session and give a presentation on allusions to hymns in literature and film. I have a few examples in mind already - the use of office hymns in Dante's Commedia, the Rev. Amos Barton in George Eliot's Scenes from Clerical Life, Thomas Ken's hymns in stories by Kipling & Frances Hodgson Burnett, "Leaning on the everlasting arms" in Night of the Hunter and "Amazing Grace" in Firefly.

But now I'd like you to do the rest of my research for me erm, I mean to say, what are your favourite examples of hymns in literature or on the screen?
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Kathy
    Balm in Gilead in The Spitfire Grill
    And Did Those Feet in Chariots of Fire
    The miniseries To Serve Them All My Days began with an original hymn as the theme song, and occasionally had morning prayer hymns, including O Worship the King
    Mr Bean singing Lasst Uns Erfreuen
    Thanked by 2Ben_Whitworth Gavin
  • Kathy
    I've heard that in a movie about St Teresa of Avila, when she begins to pray to the Holy Spirit, they portray this with Veni, Creator Spiritus

Speaking of which, the end of the Dialogues des Carmelites, and the scene at Wolsey's deathbed in A Man for All Seasons.
    Thanked by 1Ben_Whitworth
  • Kathy
    Wings of a Dove in Tender Mercies
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Bringin in the Sheaves-- Little House on the Prairie
    Amazing Grace: The Movie
    All Things Bright and Beautiful---the James Herriot book and television series
  • Spriggo
    Softly and Tenderly in "A Trip to Bountiful"
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oevNjFeWUyQ

Cwm Rhondda (Bread of Heaven)
  • I've always been grateful to the 70's Britcom "Bless Me Father" for introducing me to the Hymn "Faith of Our Fathers" with the (superior, in my opinion) hymn tune SAWSTON.
  • I've also noticed, during the excommunication scene from "Becket", they start chanting the 'Dies Irae' right before the, er, rite.

Is this liturgically apropos? I've yet to see a bishop do an excommunication in the old rite. :S
    Thanked by 2Ben_Whitworth Kathy
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    That is a great scene! Is that what is referred to as "the bell, book and candle" rite?

I think in T.S. Eliot's Murder in the Cathedral the Dies Irae is chanted by the chorus before Becket is murdered. The chorus also sings the Te Deum at the end if I'm not mistaken and there are other liturgical references as well throughout.
  • Blaise
    "Crown Him With Many Crowns" was used in Sister Act (1992) starring Whoopi Goldberg. Unfortunately, it was followed up with rap....or was it rock?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Just thought of one more:

Hilaire Belloc mentions the Vespers hymn Te lucis ante terminum in Path to Rome:

• Liam
    Ein Feste Burg used somewhat chillingly in Das Weisse Band (The White Ribbon):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egCkpISmkRg
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Not a hymn, but there is a super-famous scene in an episode of Babylon 5 where they use the Christmas Introit Puer Natus Est as scoring music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jli3ruqWYlc
  • Kathy
    The Christmas carols on the carillon that cover the hero's escape, which is made possible by the sword of St. Michael the Archangel, in Walker Percy's Love in the Ruins.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Also from Sister Act, "Hail, Holy Queen"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctjG4MjJwEA
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Arcadelt "Ave Maria" in "True Confessions." I would count that as a hymn.
    Victoria "Ave Maria" in the great cult horror movie, "the Prophecy," Chris Walken as a bad Gabriel and a young Viggo Mortenson as Satan.
    "I'll fly away" among many in "O brother, where art thou."
    I think I remember "Bringing in the sheaves" in the wonderful Lancaster/Jean Simmon's "Elmer Gantry."
    Whatever the heck that Swedish hymn was (instrumentally) in "Fargo"
    Anything sung in "Babette's Feast."
    ...tbc
  • Kathy
    Paul Claudel's conversion during the Christmas Day Magnificat:

Tel était le malheureux enfant qui, le 25 décembre 1886, se rendit à Notre-Dame de Paris pour y suivre les offices de Noël. Je commençais alors à écrire et il me semblait que, dans les cérémonies catholiques, considérées avec un dilettan tisme supérieur, je trouverais un excitant ap proprié et la matière de quelques exercices décadents. C'est dans ces dispositions que, cou doyé et bousculé par la foule, j'assistai, avec un plaisir médiocre, à la grand-messe. Puis, n'ayant rien de mieux à faire, je revins aux vêpres. Les enfants de la maîtrise en robes blan ches et les élèves du pe tit séminaire de Saint-Nicolas-du-Chardonnet qui les assistaient, étaient en train de chanter ce que je sus plus tard être leMagnificat. J'étais moi-même debout dans la foule, près du second pilier à l'entrée du chœur, à droite du côté de la sacristie. Et c'est alors que se produisit l'événement qui domine toute ma vie.

En un instant, mon cœur fut touché et je crus. Je crus, d'une telle force d'adhésion, d'un tel soulèvement de tout mon être, d'une conviction si puissante, d'une telle certitude ne laissant place à aucune espèce de doute que, depuis, tous les livres, tous les raisonnements, tous les hasards d'une vie agitée, n'ont pu ébranler ma foi, ni, à vrai dire, la toucher. J'avais eu tout à coup le sentiment déchirant de l'innocence, de l'éternelle enfance de Dieu, une révélation ineffable.
  • ronkrisman
    I was delightfully surprised to hear the Spanish hymn to Christ the King, Tú Reinarás, used in the outdoor procession scene of the 1954 Rossellini film, Journey to Italy. But why Spanish? The procession supposedly takes place in Naples. Later, I discovered that Tú Reinarás uses for its tune that of the (Italian) Marian hymn, Noi Vogliam Dio.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    One of my favorites is The Bells of St. Mary's. There we have Adeste Fideles (O Come All Ye Faithful), O Sanctissima and while not a hymn, The Bells of St. Mary's.
  • Kathy
    Fr. Krisman, another shared Marian hymn is Santa Maria del Camino. Do you know which (Italian or Spanish) was first?
  • ronkrisman
    Kathy, the text and tune of "Santa María del Camino" are by Juan A. Espinosa, a Spaniard born in 1940. So I imagine the Italian is a translation, as is the English version in GIA's Oramos Cantando / We Pray in Song hymnal (no. 711), "Come As We Journey along Our Way."
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • Henry the fifth Act 4 scene 8 (Shakespeare)

KING HENRY V
    Come, go we in procession to the village.
    And be it death proclaimed through our host
    To boast of this or take the praise from God
    Which is his only.

FLUELLEN
    Is it not lawful, an please your majesty, to tell
    how many is killed?

KING HENRY V
    Yes, captain; but with this acknowledgement,
    That God fought for us.

FLUELLEN
    Yes, my conscience, he did us great good.

KING HENRY V
    Do we all holy rites;
    Let there be sung 'Non nobis' and 'Te Deum;'
    The dead with charity enclosed in clay:
    And then to Calais; and to England then:
    Where ne'er from France arrived more happy men.

In the Kenneth Branagh film they exit singing Non nobis - but with odd words,
  • chonakchonak
    ... and a modern tune.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Be Thou My Vision (SLANE) in A River Runs Through It
    Eternal Father, Strong to Save (MELITA) in Titanic
  • The opening scene of The African Queen is Katharine Hepburn leading a congregation of natives in singing Cwm Rhondda (or trying to).
  • Xav
    Heber's "The Son of God goes forth to war" (on the Irish tune, THE MOREEN, in the film) features in The Man Who Would be King (1975).
  • Casting Crowns 'voice of truth' In film 'Facing the giants'.
  • This is fantastic! Thank you all so much. I could do a whole term on this.
  • My wife points out the final scene of Mrs Miniver: "Onward Christian Soldiers" in a mash-up with Elgar's Pomp & Circumstance no. 1. Well, there was a war on.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Also, I know Mr Bean is frequently mentioned on this forum, and rightly so, but have we forgotten Joyce Grenfell? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTNyt6PxvJU
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Hmmm, I recall some sort of anthemic hymn towards the beginning of Monty Python's THE MEANING OF LIFE....can't recall its title or whereabouts in a proper hymnal tho'.
  • Liam
    At the 2:50 mark (after annoying advertisement), from Mrs Miniver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VmIIpLCw6g
  • BBC miniseries on Scott in the Antarctic (had Sylvester McCoy?) in it -- and used Onward Christian Soldiers.

• Reval
    "Bringing in the sheaves" in Benny & Joon.
  • Liam
    Smack to my head! How could I forget the indelible scene from The Night of The Hunter?

http://movieclips.com/zru2-the-night-of-the-hunter-movie-leaning-on-the-everlasting-arms/

Pay attention to the difference between what Robert Mitchum sings and Lillian Gish's counterpoint. Mitchum is non-specific about who he's leaning on; Gish is specific. This wonderful movie is full of self-summarizing gems of that type. It's a cinematic florilegium of parables. It's a hard world for little things.
  • Xav
  • MatthewRoth
    I've been told the Sarum melody for the Veni, Creator Spiritus is used in Becket during the episcopal consecration scene.
  • Pay attention to the difference between what Robert Mitchum sings and Lillian Gish's counterpoint. Mitchum is non-specific about who he's leaning on; Gish is specific. This wonderful movie is full of self-summarizing gems of that type. It's a cinematic florilegium of parables. It's a hard world for little things.

I LOVE this film. I came across it by accident just channel surfing and it was on AMC one night. "Let me tell you the story about Good and Evil" ahh... great movie. Netflix has it, we've rented several times.

(I dont know why my comment is still in the quote box, can't seem to fix it help!)
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Here's another one for the file, Ben. A newly minted one at that, but destined to become a classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWF2JBb1bvM&app=desktop
  • Liam
    Notice the use of the Leaning On The Everlasting Arms tune in that ad....
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    It demonstrates the transcendent power of a common Christian faith and culture in the midst of chaos and destruction. Granted, WWI was about Christian vs Christian and signaled the beginning of the end of Western Civilization, but the common European heritage was still evident.

Makes you wonder what hymns they'd be singing in the trenches if there were ever, God forbid, a repeat of that war.
  • CharlesW
    Makes you wonder what hymns they'd be singing in the trenches if there were ever, God forbid, a repeat of that war.

All are welcome?
  • Abide with me sung by the stranded, wounded British paratroopers in A Bridge Too Far
  • I am unable to see the videos due to a blocker here at school, but I assume "Leaning on the everlasting arms" refers to that fine film, TRUE GRIT.

I have but one suggestion left:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtQUePN5y40
  • Liam
    The references to Leaning On The Everlasting Arms were to (i) The Night of The Hunter, and (ii) the Sainsbury Xmas 2014 advert (instrumental only).
  • Upbeat, jazz-like rendition of "There is a happy land" over the final credits of Arsenic and Old Lace.

http://www.hymnary.org/text/there_is_a_happy_land_far_far_away