Transferring Patronal Feast to Sunday
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If a Parish transfers the feast of their Patrons (which is raised to the rank of Solemnity) to a Sunday, what happens on the weekday on which it would normally be held? Normal weekday in Ordinary Time? Celebrate the Solemnity again (or prior to the Sunday in addition)? Celebrate the Feast but with minimal solemnity?

If you transfer the Feast (Solemnity) to the Sunday, don't you feel slightly bad for Catholics that might make an extended drive to your parish to celebrate that day only to find that they've missed it or need to come back the following Sunday?

• CharlesW
    Our patronal feast is Pentecost, so there is never a problem. Interesting question.
  • I think you are celebrating according to a (very) local calendar, on which the Feast has been transferred to another day from the Universal. Unless there is something else on that day (eg a commemoration) then that leaves it as a feria.

Update: I was quite wrong, though, as explained below.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Do you have the option of transferring to either the previous or subsequent Sunday? Does it need to be one or the other?
  • Liam
    The bishop determines. It's not even required to be a proximate Sunday.
  • chonakchonak
    Matthew, consider how the observances which are shifted to Sunday are treated: Epiphany, Corpus Christi, Ascension (in the un-biblically-minded provinces that shift it). Each of them is only observed once in the year.
  • ...(in the un-biblically-minded provinces that shift it).

Hear, hear!
    Thanked by 2Gavin MatthewRoth
  • JahazaJahaza
    Matthew, consider how the observances which are shifted to Sunday are treated: Epiphany, Corpus Christi, Ascension (in the un-biblically-minded provinces that shift it). Each of them is only observed once in the year.

That's a different kind of thing though.

The relevant section of the General Instruction of the Calendar regarding external celebrations of Feasts in the new rite:

58. For the pastoral advantage of the people, it is permissible to observe on the Sundays in Ordinary Time those celebrations that fall during the week and have special appeal to the devotion of the faithful, provided the celebrations take precedence over these Sundays in the Table of Liturgical Days. The Mass for such celebrations may be used at all the Masses at which a congregation is present.

This is an outgrowth of the practice of the external solemnity in the old rite. The last sentence is a specific expansion of the rule there, which was more restrictive. The festival is observed on Sunday, but not transfered in this case (and the office said privately is that of the day, not the observance).

Old rubric:

Votive Masses on the External Solemnity of Feasts

356. The external solemnity” of any feast means the celebration of the feast without an office, for the good of the faithful, either on the day on which the feast is impeded, or on a Sunday when the feast occurs during the week, or on some other established day.
    360. One sung and one low Mass, or two low Masses, as votive Masses of the 2nd class, may be celebrated of the feast whose external solemnity is being held, except for the case specified in no. 358c.

Omitted from my quotation here is a middle part corresponding to the middle part of the revised norms about what feasts can be observed in this way which was also expanded...part of the general expansion of permissions.

This process is different than the process which has moved Corpus Christi etc. to Sunday which is covered in #7

7. In those places where the solemnities of Epiphany, Ascension, and Corpus Christi are not observed as holydays of obligation, they are assigned to a Sunday, which is then considered their proper day in calendar.

Note that last part, which is not present in #58.

• chonakchonak
    Thanks, Jahaza. Yes, I looked at that norm too. Since it doesn't use the term "external solemnity", I was not sure whether the norm intends for those celebrations on Sunday to be considered under the same concept as the old external solemnity, or as something else.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • I think parishes can overdo this though. My parish had the Feast of St Paul the first Hermit, St Margaret Mary and Our Lady of Chestahova all transferred to Sundays.
  • chonakchonak
    Częstochowa, please.

(Gesundheit.)

• no speeky polsky
    Thanked by 1Gavin