Use of new font in revision of The American Gradual
  • I have delayed work on revision of The American Gradual until I had in hand a font that would permit me to use noteheads of two different sizes. I now have a preliminary version of such a font. Attached is the introit for Advent 1 set with it.

Instead of using the horizontal episema SELECTIVELY, I am using the larger noteheads to represent notes marked as long (or emphasized, at any rate) in the adiastematic manuscripts. Choirs will then be able to treat these notes however they wish. My assumption is that most would ignore the distinction between large and small noteheads and continue to render the chant in more-or-less equalist/accentualist style, but that those who wished to observe the distinction in some way could do so without reference to other sources

I hope that in the final version of the font the large and small noteheads will be closer in size.

I would like to know what users of the book who participate in this forum think of the attached example.
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • francis
    Interesting.

Question... why would you not just do this in square notes?
  • The square notes do not show what those who wish to base their performance on the St. Gall and Laon neumes need to see.
  • francis
    That is admirable, but how large is the audience (director's of music in the trenches) that would be concerned about the use of the St. Gall and Laon neume system? It must be an extremely small number. Or am I missing something? And then, if they are interested in that system, would not they just prefer to use the ancient manuscripts to keep it pure (and in the Latin)?
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
    Don't listen to him. Round notes, 5-line staff, and English will allow much wider use. I didn't think you were writing for the EF and Latin to begin with - correct me if I am wrong. I like the example.
    Thanked by 1Felipe Gasper
  • Some critics of the first edition complained--not without some justification--that I used episemata to show only some of the nuance contained in the St. Gall and Laon neumes, and that I stated no criteria for selection. (I didn't have any, really--just personal taste.) There ARE people who are seeking to incorporate all this nuance into their choir's singing, for good or for ill. (Cardine himself had reservations.) I am trying to make the book "all things to all people." My concern is that using notes of two sizes may be disturbing to those who follow a more-or-less equalist interpretation--sure the vast majority.
  • BenBen
    I would second Francis' request for neumes. I know I personally read them better, and those who were in my schola did too. They have nothing to do with the EF. They are the notation of gregorian chant.

Even among modern notation scores, I find the example posted above hard to read.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • SalieriSalieri
    FWIW: No system that I've encountered that has attempted to render the rhythmic hints in the earliest MSS into either quadratic notation or standard notation have succeeded. Granted that some of the "new" shapes (new in 1934) from Solesmes have helped, such as the oriscus in the salicus, but there are subtleties in the MSS that are not easily rendered in new notation. I often find myself, when reading the new Antiphonale Romanum, wishing it had the old neums above the quadratic notation. (Didn't someone - Guido d'Arezzo? - say that you need the new notation for pitch and the old notation for rhythm?) YMMV.
  • Yes, Guido said that, and he was right!
    It is just possible (though not pleasingly so) that, purely objectively speaking, Bruce's notation may convey as much or more vocally inflectional information as do square notes to someone who has learned what he is conveying by means of his system. However, it remains that it doesn't convey any more information, it doesn't look or feel like chant, and, for those accustomed to singing square notation is a senseless innovation which is less readable, less informative, and, less enjoyable. It remains that the principal inspiration for his (or anyone else's) round note heads was the idiotic insistance of large numbers of very talented and gifted church musicians and their professional singers who didn't read square notation and couldn't be bothered to learn it because it was too hard for their talented little heads.

I say all this with great respect for Bruce, and continue to sing his praises for providing us with a much needed modern English graduale. He cannot be thanked enough for putting his knowledge and talent at the service of the Church. In true form, it is an Anglican doing what one might think would have been one of the very first liturgical projects of the Catholic Church following the recent council. What would really be nice would be for Bruce to make his gradual available in both square and round note editions. But this would double his work. Wherever we have round notes it is because of the childishly pitiful recalcitrance of those who think that they are terrific church musicians and singers but who couldn't possibly be bothered with serious chant scholarship. Please spare me from hearing their renderings of chant.
    Thanked by 2Salieri ryand
  • CharlesW
    Wherever we have round notes it is because of the childishly pitiful recalcitrance of those who think that they are terrific church musicians and singers but who couldn't possibly be bothered with serious chant scholarship. Please spare me from hearing their renderings of chant.

I see someone missed the medication cart this morning. Next time they need to increase the dosages. I am fine with square notes for authentic Gregorian chant. Adapting them to modern music is goofy. I do read both, by the way. It's like the Amish who risk burning their houses down with kerosene instead of using electric lights.

Modern compositions are NOT Gregorian chant, no matter how greatly the opposite is desired. I think a greater problem is chant musicians who don't read modern notation all that well. In any event, I rarely give square notes to my choir for anything but genuine Gregorian.
  • I am grateful to everyone who has take the time to comment.

Sven Olbash is the one who proposed the use of noteheads that are of two different sizes to distinguish the notes that the adiastematic neumes brand as most important from other notes.

Salieri may be right in saying that any attempt to render all the nuance found in the adiastematic mss. in square or round notes is doomed to limited success at best.
    Cardine was appalled to hear that some people were using the Graduale triplexas a performance edition. What Olbash proposes

Ben Yanke: Preferring conventional notation over noteheads is reasonable, but calling conventional chant notation, a nineteenth/twentieth century of post-11th century notation that conveys SOME of what the adiastematic neumes conveyed "the notation of Gregorian Chant" is rash.

An analogy I like to draw is that spoken words can be represented in both Gregg and Pitman shorthand, which look nothing alike; yet orally transcribed they sound the same. Music notation represents sounds on paper. It only a means to an end--viz., the performance.

Jackson Osborne: I have heard the chant rendered very beautifully by choirs singing from modified modern notation, and I have heard it rendered abysmally by choirs singing from conventional chant notation.

My own preference (if I could sing) would be to sing from conventional chant notation following a more-or-less-equalist, accentualist interpretation. My decision to use noteheads was based on the expressed preference of others.

Please do not think I am being sarcastic when I ask whether you would be interested in setting TAG in conventional chant notation. If you would do so and then send your mss. to me for review and possible revision, I would be very grateful. I am not willing to invest that time to do all this typesetting with the Meinrad fonts.

• Unfinished sentence: What Olbash strikes me as potentially more satisfactory.
  • BenBen
    Modern compositions are NOT Gregorian chant, no matter how greatly the opposite is desired.

But they are plainsong, which is still what neumes are for.
  • The American Gradual reaches a much larger audience of users than just the rarefied air of Musica Sacra, and from what I understand was not from the beginning an effort to lead singers back to singing square notes, but rather to make the Gradual available in Enlish to singers of the Anglican/Episcopalian/Roman and other denominations.

All should note that By Flowing Waters has also had a much wider outreach through its use of round notes. "The Other Ford" could have decided to do nothing but put the translation to the square notes of the Simplex, but instead made it acceptable and appealing to people who would shy away from square notes.

By insisting chant should only be sung from square notes and in Latin and no other resources provided would drastically limit those who may decide to move closer to the original.

Monks and Nuns today do not all cluster around a single, hand-drawn manuscript to sing but, "Horrors!" read from a mass produced book of tiny notes. Should all scholas be required to read chant from one manuscript by candlelight to sing chant in an authentic manner?

Do those who have recently jumped on the chant bandwagon have the knowledge and experience to tell "The Ford" and "The Other Ford" how to edit their very useful books?

Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I really don't see what the difficulty could possibly be with reading 5 line staves, though having slightly larger small notes as Bruce promises will be a bit more sightly.

I'm sorry I've failed in my resolve to post to the proofreading thread, having used TAG for more than a year now: there was a missing flat about a month ago, but most of my comments would be on the undifferentiated bar lines: in Ad te levavi I would like an asterisk with a tick, a half bar line; tick, half; full. &c. Otherwise I have to be fully awake ;-)

The original placement of bars can sometimes be odd for English: a couple of weeks ago I decided on the fly to sing the communion Laetabimur "And we will triumph| in the name of the Lord,| our God" instead of breathing between "name" and "of".
  • CharlesW
    Ben, neumes are a relatively recent system for singing Gregorian chant, as Bruce mentioned above. There is nothing authentic about them and they are, in essence, of 19th-20th century French origin - at least as we know them today. Neumes serve well for people who are not skilled in reading modern notation and allows anyone, with a little work, to sing chant. I have encountered a number of chant singers who go nuts when a piece of music in contemporary notation is put in front of them. They can't sing it. For the old works that are rather simplistic musically, they work fine. But putting modern compositions in neumes seem to me like the deception played on Jacob by his father-in-law. It is music pretending to be something it is not. When you lift that veil on the wedding night, it isn't Rachel underneath. LOL.

Gregorian chant is plainsong, but plainsong is not necessarily Gregorian.

BTW, I like TAG and congratulate Bruce on his very fine and useful work.
    Thanked by 1MarkThompson
  • francis
    What would really be nice would be for Bruce to make his gradual available in both square and round note editions. But this would double his work. Wherever we have round notes it is because of the childishly pitiful recalcitrance of those who think that they are terrific church musicians and singers but who couldn't possibly be bothered with serious chant scholarship.
    here here!

I might say with GABC the project would go very quickly.
  • CharlesW
    Where did you think Bruce would get the time to do all that? LOL.
  • chonakchonak
    Here's a quick rendition of the above:
    Thanked by 3Chrism francis Ben
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I think Francis is volunteering, unless he means "hear hear!"
  • Why is this called the American Gradual? Is there something about it which means it is not suitable for other English speaking countries?
    Secondly, for me, a very very inexperienced person, with a very inexperienced group of singers, the sort of notes puts me right off. We are slowly slowly coming to grips with reading neumes, and modern notation, with the use of solfege as a handy bridge between the two systems, presenting them with a third notation system to learn would be to much. Just my take. That means it would be out of my reach till they are more experienced - but then I would be reaching for something more complex, either latin or satb.

However, questions and comments aside, I truly appreciate the work composers like you are putting into providing resources - and there is no one size fits all that will work, so if it is working for others, that is great. Thank you for your hard work and for making it available for free on the internet - we could never afford to buy all this stuff. And it is things like this that make it possible or me to say we are doing contemporary music - why some of this stuff was written in the last few weeks, how more up to date can you get?

Thank you BB
    Thanked by 2francis CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Bruce Ford developed The American Gradual in 2001 according to the calendar of the Episcopal Church, so the book started as a specifically American project. It takes psalm texts from the Book of Common Prayer and takes other Scripture texts from the RSV. The melodies are based on the restoration work published on the website gregor-und-taube.de.
  • francis
    BF:

The content is superb... it is only the delivery method that has me stumped. I would LOVE to see this in neumes, and I think it would get widespread attention as so.

Richard Mix:

I am a professional musician, typographer, graphic artist, composer, conductor, etc.etc. Volunteer is not in my vocabulary unless it is to help in the food kitchen. I would be glad to do any musical project for a fee, however. Anyone want a new SATB Mass in Latin??
  • What is the point in saying that modern chant composition is not Gregorian chant? Of course it isn't! Nor is much of any chant which we have inherited. Certainly none of post-Caroline times, nor very much from pre-Caroline times. In fact, the chants that any scholars would actually admit to be 'Gregorian' are very small in number. What is the point in making such an assertion? Liturgical chant is liturgical chant. It is of a recognisably cohesive genre. It has been composed over a slew of centuries, and very little of it (as most nowadays know) is actually 'Gregorian'.

Too, I think it is not quite accurate to dismiss the square notation that we have today as XIXth and early XXth century efforts at rendering the chant notation of early eras. This square notation has only been around since not long after Carolingian times. The notation found in our modern books has quite recognisable antecedents in any post-Carolingian manuscript. It is not at all a system invented in recent times. What is the point in making such an assertion? Square notation has been chant notation since before the XIth century, not too long after the era of Frankish scribes. Further, there is nothing arcane about it. It can easily be learnt by school children (who find it fascinating) and anyone else who wishes to expend a little effort to learn a notation whose signals are as clear today as they were a thousand years ago.
    Thanked by 2Ben francis
  • chonakchonak
    That sounds like a topic for a separate thread. Would you like to have one for it?
    Thanked by 1Felipe Gasper
  • I didn't think that I was 'off-topic'. But if you wish to make another thread of it I have no objection. Whatever you think best.
  • Hello Bruce,

Looking at your smaller round notes I thought they would be sung softer and not shorter...

Musicae Sacrae, 25 Dec 1955:
    http://www.adoremus.org/musicaesacrae.html
    « 45. (...) This is one of the most important reasons why the Church so greatly desires that the Gregorian chant traditionally associated with the Latin words of the sacred liturgy be used. »

De musica sacra et sacra liturgia, 3 Sep 1958:
    http://www.adoremus.org/1958Intro-sac-mus.html
    « 16. (...)
    a) The language of Gregorian chant, because of its character as liturgical music, must be exclusively Latin. »

This said, I don't mind if you guys sing in English. I am impressed by the amount of energy and enthusiasm put in this domain lately. And you are fortunate to have received the new and better translation in 2011 (compared to France where we are still waiting).

Regarding the font: I have sung in round and square notes but I find the square notes sooo much more adapted to chant (with the key indicating the semitone straight away and all) that I too do not see the point to compose in round notes. But hey! it's a free country. :-)
    Look at chonak's rendition in square notes: sooo much easier to sing.
    Last thing with square notes: one recognizes 'shapes' in melodies.

And I am not even talking about numbering the psalms the "new" way: psalm 25 instead of psalm 24... :-P

Have a good day (morning here in France).
    And keep up the good work!
  • There have been noteable instances in missionary lands in which permission was obtained from Rome to adapt our chant to local languages. Several of which I am aware include Chinese and Algonquin. There are other examples, Japanese being one. It is really rather artificial to 'allow' this in exotic places but not in any of our European languages. Beautiful diction and artful attention to linguistic and musical nuance are what makes for good chant, and these can be heard in almost any language. English, it is said (tiresomely!), does not have the beautiful vowels that Latin does. Well, no, it doesn't... at least not the same ones. It does, though, have its own beautiful vowels which can be sung exquisitely by anyone who wishes to sing them exquisitely. I and many Anglicans have done this for a very long time. I think that the really shocking thing about non-Latin chant to many people is that suddenly they can understand the language, a level of engagement which doesn't, for most, happen when hearing Latin and merely listening to vowels that are, objectively, no more beautiful than English ones. If one wishes for something to be beautiful he will perform it beautifully. If he (or she) wishes to discredit something he will perform it with determined and purposeful ugliness.

There is always a certain charm, a sort of enthrallment, experienced when hearing a language that one doesn't understand. One notices the unique vowels, the rhythm, the sometimes strange vocal inflections, and so on, and may be captivated and conclude that that language is far more beautiful and musical than English. I have experienced this with French, Slavic, Italian, Danish, German, even Latin, Japanese, Portuguese, and others. I was once totally carried away by listening to a lady reading French from a piece of paper and asked what she was reading, convinced that it must be something very profound. 'Oh, that is my grocery list', she said. Latin has this same quality because most people do not comprehend it. They truly do appreciate it (as is good), but they attribute to it some penumbra of sacrality that is, objectively, no more inherent in it than in English. An intelligent and mature person will cherish Latin because of its unique presence throughout our history, its unique role in the development of our European civilisation, but will not attribute to it highly subjective characteristics, unique holiness, almost (even if not quite) magical or sacral powers that no more inher in it than other languages. The 'magic' lies totally in its incomprehension to most hearers. If we should attribute such holiness to any language other than our own I should think it would be Aramaic, the language spoken by our Lord. But, alas, no own carries on about Aramaic, do they!
  • Absolutely. One is not the best advocate on English chant with a terrible French accent. :-) Many times a friend of mine had to correct me when I used to sing the Responsorial Psalm in England. I must have embarrassed people... Doh! :-P

On the other hand English is excellent for Pop music, Rap, R&B, etc.
  • CharlesW
    I think that the really shocking thing about non-Latin chant to many people is that suddenly they can understand the language, a level of engagement which doesn't, for most, happen when hearing Latin and merely listening to vowels that are, objectively, no more beautiful than English ones. If one wishes for something to be beautiful he will perform it beautifully. If he wishes to discredit something he will perform it with determined and purposeful ugliness.

I am with you 100% on the value of English chant. The language of the liturgy should have been the vernacular 500 years sooner, I think. Latin is fine for seasonal use and to keep alive music that otherwise would perish. Just as people should have Bibles they understand, so should they have liturgy equally understandable.

French culture, history, and those fabulous organs. Must be a wonderful place to live, I would think. I could happily grow old in St. Sulpice listening to Daniel Roth.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Sorry to disappoint.

Allow me to start a new discussion about Latin vs. vernacular in the liturgy with a word from Dom Guéranger OSB, Abbot of Solesmes:
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/11569/the-anti-liturgical-heresy-by-dom-gueranger-osb-latin-vs.-vernacular

Hoping to cultivate and transmit his brilliant legacy.

Once again I don't mind if people go for plainsong in English.
    For me I stick to Latin and Gregorian chant.
  • CharlesW
    English chant is for English speaking countries. I wouldn't advocate it for anyone else any more than I would say everyone should sing German chant. Now that would be an experience. The point being that liturgy and chant should be in the vernacular, with seasonal forays into Latin. That is what my parish does. Latin during Lent and Advent, English the remainder of the year. No one can make a valid claim that they don't understand the liturgy, since they do understand it most of the time.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Forget the Latin-English-French-vernacular wars. For me, the Kyrie is something that should be sung in Greek.
  • CharlesW
    And the Amen should always be sung in Hebrew.
  • SalieriSalieri
    As well as the Hallelujah.
  • *This* Roman is unendingly grateful to Bruce for his work in providing a modern English rendition of the chant that, though its intent be for Anglicans, also “gels” well with the English of the Roman liturgy.

As to the neumes/modern notation bit, it’s a little like how some people don’t like Latin because they self-identify as not liking Latin. They don’t have a good reason for disliking it other than distaste for whatever associations they have with it.
  • They don’t have a good reason for disliking it other than distaste for whatever associations they have with it.

As they say all too often in the Catholic church, "BINGO!"

Just like music theory, chant as well has suffered under the presentation by teachers who are the equivalent of many high school teachers who teach geography...often athletic coaches hired to win games but carried as "teachers" in the budget.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen