How To Get Across the Concept of Staggered Breathing
  • The gentlemen in my schola aren't quite getting the idea that they're not supposed to stop breathing every time a take a break during a long melismatic phrase. How do I help cure them of this?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Hold the last note 100" or so. I tell my choir always in the middle of a word or if possible a syllable, and remind "a little sneakier please".

One can also plan individual breaths (takes time), use hand signals (discretely of course) or cultivate ESP (which hopefully encourages careful listening to each other).
  • One hundred inches?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    One hundred seconds, I'm sure.

• Reinforce proper diaphragmatic breathing first. This will help with general support and line. Then, in rehearsal make darn sure you stop EVERY time they don't stagger the breathing and point it out. Don't give up until you get what you are looking for.
    Thanked by 1SamuelDorlaque
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    How old are the men in your schola? Those in our schola are 50 to 80. Our director is always on us regarding staggered breathing and frankly holding a note for, 8, 10 or 12 counts, or long phrase, or just having good diaphragmatic control is not so easy as you get older. If staggered breathing is the problem try to find ways to make it work for you. Some singers have better control than others and so it's possible though not desired for some to sneak a breath while the others carry the note or phrase. Pay attention to comma's, it's an opportunity to sneak a breath and keep everyone together. Sometimes our director completely ignores them. They put comma's there for a reason just as they put rests, fermatta's, and crescendos.
  • I used to be in his schola: they're mostly younger gentlemen.
  • Chrism
    Train your two strongest singers to stagger and eventually they may confuse the followers into doing it too. Or at least they'll cover over the pauses a bit.