Latin Novus Ordo in Manhattan
  • I am going to NY for the weekend, and the only listings for "Latin Mass" seem to mean only the TLM, and are willing to list SSPX Masses, which I object to. (Though they are clearly marked. )

St. Patrick's doesn't have a Latin NO, along with most Cathedrals. Does anyone know of a Latin NO in Manhattan? I will be staying next to a diocesan church that offers a licit TLM, and I may go there to learn what I am getting into in my new schola.

Thanks.

Kenneth
  • johnmann
    No Latin OF in Manhattan or anywhere in the US that I know of. Corpus Christi often does the ordinary in Latin (and the Roman Canon!). That's probably your best bet if you're looking for inspiration for an OF Mass. Nearby Notre Dame did the Latin propers last time I was there. Those are the two OFs worth checking out.

St. Agnes does an EF High Mass with polyphony. Very well done but I'm not sure if there's anything to learn for use with a new schola.
  • rich_enough
    There are regularly scheduled Latin NO masses in the US according to this list from the Latin Liturgy Association, but none in the New York Archdiocese or closeby. Some are "hybrid" masses (both Latin and vernacular used). As for as I can tell the list is current.
  • johnmann
    If you're coming this weekend and have time. St. James Cathedral right over the bridge in the diocese of Brooklyn will have a solemn EF at 1:30 on Saturday.
  • JahazaJahaza
    There is no Latin Novus Ordo in New York City that I am aware of.

A warning that that list from the LLA is outdated in places. There hasn't been a Latin Novus Ordo at the Basillica of Our Lady of the Assumption in Baltimore for quite some time.
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • JahazaJahaza
    I will be staying next to a diocesan church that offers a licit TLM

I assume you're staying in Manhattan, but just in case, if you're staying in Brooklyn, there will be no Sunday Mass this week at Our Lady of Peace, because of the Marathon.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Other TLM's sponsored by Ecclesia Dei, Diocese of Brooklyn in case of interest:

All Saints' Day, Sat. Nov. 1: Solemn High Mass at St. James Cathedral-Basilica, 1:30 pm

Sunday, Nov. 2 : Missa Cantata at St. John's Cemetery Chapel, 9 am

All Souls' Day, Monday, Nov. 1: Solemn Requiem at Main Chapel, Immaculate Conception Seminary, Douglaston, 7:30 pm, with Absolutions to follow at the Crypt Chapel where the bishops of the Brooklyn Diocese are buried.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    No Latin OF in Manhattan or anywhere in the US that I know of.

There are several (3 I believe) churches in Detroit that have never stopped offering Masses in Latin. When the Novus Ordo came out, they continued offering Mass in Latin until today. Many of them now offer TLMs as well, but there are at least 4 Novus Ordo Latin Masses offered in metro Detroit every Sunday.
  • I was sad to hear about the Baltimore Basilica, but I am happy to say that the Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle in Washington does it as it should be: the Seat of the Archbishop has a Latin Novus Ordo and an Enlish High Mass every Sunday, with beautiful music.