Cantor Conducting Congregation - Concerned
  • eft94530eft94530
    JulieColl: our SSPX friends in France are leading by example [...]
    have song leaders up on the altar leading the people

I am stunned.
    Or perhaps you meant "song leaders in the sanctuary" ?
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood JulieColl
  • @melofluent

If you can pay me $100 with ten of these, you're on.

[1908–1933 Indian Ten Dollar Gold Coins]
    But I won't be seeking him out earnestly. (And the parenthetical statement in my original still is in play.)
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • dad29
    Traditional Catholic practice is for the people to sit in the back half so that they can leave faster after receiving Communion.

Wrong.

To avoid being hit by flying arms of front-placed cantor/conductor.

Or dropping wall-hangings.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • Liam
    Front rows are the penalty box for (cradle) Catholics; rear rows are the prized seats for early birds.

You can tell cradle Kathlicks from similar behavior at large workplace meetings. It's part of the DNA.
  • GavinGavin
    Pretty much every denomination prefers to sit in the back. I do not find this ingesting. What I do find interesting is that every denomination THINKS they're the only ones that prefer to sit in the back.
  • Think about it. The people who sit in the front sing. They are they because they want to be there.

Which explains why many priests think the entire congregation sings, when in reality, the further from the front, the less the participation. Active or inactive.

Standing in the back in the choir loft gives a totally different view. Just the reduced number of misallettes open in each pew towards the back confirms all this.

Take some pics (turn off the flash) and display the evidence.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    Less missalettes means nothing for participation. I almost never use one. I'd much rather just pray internally.
  • SalieriSalieri
    You can tell cradle Kathlicks from similar behavior at large workplace meetings. It's part of the DNA.

The New Music Reading Session at SLC2012 was at the Presbyterian church: about 150 Catholic DMs walk into a Protestant church, genuflect, and go sit in the last five rows.
    Thanked by 3Kathy CHGiffen Spriggo
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    eft94530, the song leader, vested in cassock and alb, is at the top of the altar steps. Sorry for any confusion. Actually, there is another song leader at the other side also, since the basilica appears to be in the round.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    A sentiment with which I heartily concur:

One cannot find anything more religious and more joyful in sacred celebrations than a whole congregation expressing its faith and devotion in song.

(Musicam Sacram, 16)