Ave Maris Stella (homophonic), Sicut Cervus (polyphonic)
  • Salve! I'm new here; I thought I'd see if anyone has any comments on a couple of my compositions we're singing in the Regina Coeli Latin Choir at Sacred Heart Parish in Fort Wayne, Indiana. One is a very simple three-part homophonic setting of Ave Maris Stella; the other is a three-part polyphonic Sicut Cervus, with at least the advantage of being easier for amateurs to sing than Palestrina's four-part Sicut Cervus. If anyone here likes them, I may post a few more compositions; if not, explanations of why you don't like them might be helpful. Also, if you notice me committing any faux pas in posting on this forum, please let me know. Thanks!
    David McClamrock
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Nice work, and thank you for posting these.

In the Sicut Cervus, did you intend to have the parallel octave in the Alto-Baritone parts at m.10-11 (and again at m.21-22)? There is also a (hidden, ie. non-simultaneous) parallel octave in Soprano-Baritone parts in m.6 (and again in m.10), and another in the Soprano-Baritone in m.28.

The Ave Maris Stella has a (hidden) parallel fifth in the Soprano-Alto part in m.8 ... this could be resolved by changing the quarter note E-flat & F in the Alto to a dotted quarter & eighth.
  • Thanks! I knew parallel fifths were to be avoided as a rule, but nobody ever warned me against parallel octaves. Most of my knowledge of harmony and counterpoint, aside from what I've picked up from reading and singing music (plus studying music as one of the seven liberal arts at Thomas Aquinas College many years ago), is derived from Sixteenth-Century Polyphony by Arthur Tillman Merritt. Can you recommend any other helpful books? . . . As for the hidden parallel fifth, I see it now that you mention it, but it seems pretty brief and non-obvious, and I probably won't change it because our choir has already sung it a couple of times. :o) I'll post some more compositions (probably only a couple more before bedtime tonight), and they'll be more "changeable" because the choir hasn't sung them.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen