O Sanctissima in PDF
  • bjerabek
    Would anyone have a good copy of the hymn "O Sanctissima" (with English verses also) in PDF, containing only the melody line? Attached to this message is the one I downloaded from the Vatican II Hymnal site, but it is in SATB. I am making a worship aid for this Friday's Mass and hope to have a version with only the melody. Thanks.

Fr Jerabek
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Why not print the SATB?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Why not print the SATB?

Space considerations, maybe?
  • bjerabek
    It's visual clutter for people who don't read music anyhow. I'd rather have just the melody in the printed program.

Fr Jerabek
  • There are a surprising number of Catholics who, against all odds, have learned to read music and enjoy singing parts in a congregation...It's like printing a map with arrows instead of writing "turn left and look for the blue house with the red mailbox".

If we tell Catholics through what we print that we do not care that they read music, they understand that their talents are wasted and ignored in the Catholic church...and really, really welcome in almost every Protestant church around the corner.

It's like the old, "printing square notes alienates Catholics" statement...since the only people being alienated are people who read modern notation! All the others in the pews don't care. They will never learn to read chant if we keep it from them, people who can learn it fast!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen acadia
  • bjerabek
    I happen to like square notes, but in any case, as regards the issue at hand, I am convinced in this case that it is best just to print the melody. I was just asking if anyone had the music - we could start another thread to dispute the merits of printing SATB parts in a program. Thanks!

God Bless,
    Fr Jerabek
  • donr
    Fr. Jerabek,

You can find an SA version of the hymn in the St. Gregory Hymnal and Catholic Choir Book #88.

If you would like a copy send me a PM and I'll send it to you.
    Thanked by 1bjerabek
  • bwag217bwag217
    Here it is in JPEG

[Since the music engraving is a copyrighted work, I'll take down the image here. On the other hand, you can see the same image at another website at this link. :-) --admin]
  • matthewjmatthewj
    He would need a OneLicense license in order to use that in his Worship Aid, though, correct?
    Thanked by 1bjerabek
  • bwag217bwag217
    Not if it's in public domain.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The English translation is not.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    On the other hand....
    Who really wants to sing O Sanctissima in English?
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • matthewjmatthewj
    It's not in public domain.
  • bwag217bwag217
    Well then just use the Latin haha
  • Thank you, Father, for your kind response to my post!
  • chonakchonak
    In case no one else has supplied a score, here's one.

[update: revised to fix a small error.]
    [2nd update: one more fix; plus a version with the lyrics from the St. Gregory Hymnal.]
  • Reval
    Noel, you'll appreciate this:
    Today was my daughter's fourth day of Catholic high school. They had Mass, of course, for the Assumption. I asked my daughter how Mass was, what was the music like, and she replied (verbatim!) "It was weird. They just gave us the words to the hymns, like they thought we were too stupid to read the music."
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen chonak