The Finest French Lace vs. Arbp. Bugnini's Best
  • JahazaJahaza
    A Midnight High Mass in the US is far more likely to include Rossini Propers ("sung" Bel Canto) and a Mass setting based on 'Gesu Bambino' (also "sung" Bel Canto).

And you've done a survey? 'Cause that doesn't match up with my experience...
  • TCJ
    I've been to many EF Masses in which the priest wore Gothic vestments. It's not that uncommon.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    AND while SSPX France may be a wonderful model for EF praxis in line with all the pre-conciliar liturgical teachings, and, let's be honest, much more in tune with Sacrosanctum Concillium than most Novus Ordo parishes, they are the exception because the old Liturgical Movement had such strong footing in France

Just amazing that you mention this about the old Liturgical Movement, Salieri, since I was just reading a 1998 address by Cardinal Ratzinger where he confirms your claim. Speaking about the widespread preconcilar praxis of the silent Low Mass, he goes on to make this remarkable observation:

Perhaps these reductionist forms of celebration are the real reason that the disappearance of the old liturgical books was of no importance in many countries and caused no sorrow. One was never in contact with the liturgy itself. On the other hand, in those places where the Liturgical Movement had created a certain love for the liturgy, where the Movement had anticipated the essential ideas of the Council, such as for example, the prayerful participation of all in the liturgical action, it was those places where there was all the more distress when confronted with a liturgical reform undertaken too hastily and often limited to externals. Where the Liturgical Movement had never existed, the reform initially raised no problems. The problems only appeared in a sporadic fashion, when unchecked creativity caused the sense of the sacred mystery to disappear.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • chonakchonak
    V: The mic is broken.
    R: And with your spirit.

For those unfamiliar with this classic joke, it used to run:
    V: There's something wrong with this mic.
    R: And also with you.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I was just reading a 1998 address by Cardinal Ratzinger

I just recently ran across this address as well and found it stunning.

http://www.ad2000.com.au/articles/1999/feb1999p10_382.html
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    YES, Adam! I just found it today and have re-read it three times. It's a revelation indeed!

And here's what's fascinating: we see in this video dated Oct. 28, 1990, of a Solemn High Mass celebrated at St. Nicholas du Chardonnet in Paris by Archbishop Lefebrve himself, that SSPX Europe was actually fulfilling the program of both the early Liturgical Movement and Sacrosanctum Concilium as candidly described by Cardinal Ratzinger in the 1998 address you link to above, Adam.

This celebration of the EF is alive and overflowing with both faith, participation and deep emotion. It is the clear expression of a people who have been immersed in the liturgy and are very much at home with it. They are connected to the celebration with all their hearts in exactly the way described by Cardinal Ratzinger.

This is exactly why my husband always had a deep and abiding appreciation for both SSPX Europe and Cardinal Ratzinger because he saw in both of them, at least as regards the liturgy, the very same mindset and worldview.

If the EF were celebrated like this, it would be loved by liberal and conservative alike as Cardinal Ratzinger declares:

This is why it is very important to observe the essential criteria of the Constitution on the Liturgy, which I quoted above, including when one celebrates according to the old Missal! The moment when this liturgy truly touches the faithful with its beauty and its richness, then it will be loved, then it will no longer be irreconcilably opposed to the new Liturgy, providing that these criteria are indeed applied as the Council wished.

Finally, I would humbly submit that when the High Mass is actualized to its full potential, according to this model---the model of the early Liturgical Movement, of Vatican II, of
    Cardinal Ratzinger, and yes, it must be said, of SSPX Europe----when this power is finally unleashed on the world, it will be the greatest weapon in the new evangelization so ardently hoped for by the pre- and post-conciliar popes.

I might also add, that this model has the power to unite at long last liberals and conservatives, and EF and OF Catholics because it is the existential realization of both the horizontal participation liberals have campaigned for fifty years for, within the context of the vertical transcendence so fervently desired by traditional-minded Catholics.

This Mass has the power to unite the Church ad intra so it can finally summon the necessary energy to engage in the mission ad gentes as described by the Vatican Council.

If we are willing to learn from our SSPX European Bruderschaft what the liturgy can and must be, we can, ironically enough, fulfill the promise of Vatican II . . . and therein lies the paradox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E99pB9K2YlE
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    P.S. Please forgive my long-windedness, but I wanted to add this final thought which is like the resolution of a chord in my mind at least.

The paradox is this: Pope Benedict described the SSPX as "the one group to which no tolerance may be shown; which one can easily attack and hate." And he added that if someone "dare to approach them – in this case the Pope – he too loses any right to tolerance; he too can be treated hatefully, without misgiving or restraint."

And yet, despite being the Church's #1 pariah (and Msgr. Lefebrve in the video above being the Church's #1 bad boy) SSPX Europe is actually the one who is giving us a splendid and marvelous example of the true participation called for by both Vatican II and Cardinal Ratzinger in his 1998 address.

The challenge for the other members of the Church is whether they can overcome the almost universal bias against the SSPX, the temptation towards "biting and devouring" as Pope Benedict describe it, long enough to see that the SSPX Europe has the answer to the liturgical question which the rest of the Church has been searching and struggling for with great difficulty for the last fifty years.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I might also add, that this model has the power to unite at long last liberals and conservatives, and EF and OF Catholics because it is the existential realization of both the horizontal participation liberals have campaigned for fifty years for, within the context of the vertical transcendence so fervently desired by traditional-minded Catholics.

I feel like I've been trying to say some version of this for years.

We have GOT to get together sometime. I bet we would have LOADS to talk about.
  • hartleymartin
    ...the congregation sings the Our Father so well, that... I used to have use the Open Diapason 8, Flute 4' and Pedal Bourdon 16' to adequately support the singing!

No. You didn't have to.

If I didn't the Our Father would be longer than the Gloria.

If it is a schola singing the chants, I generally do not accompany them, or only on a soft 8' flute/stopt diapason if the group is a little shakey on it. For congregational singing, accompaniment is almost always required as most congregations hesitate and end up drawing out the chants to an unbelievable drawl.
  • hartleymartin
    I think if you can get a congregation of 200-300 to sing chant, you're doing pretty good. The Our Father is now universally known by the congregation and is enthusiastically sung. Next stage is to add some chant hymns such as the Pange Lingua, Adoro Te Devote, Jesu Dulcis Memoria, etc. At this stage still in English Translation, but I've got some pretty decent translations of them.

I'll be speaking with the Music Co-ordinator about doing more chant, with the possibility of singing the simple chant mass next year - probably during Lent. My intention is to introduce the chant mass to the Friday Night group (evening mass, plus adoration, but they want me to do sung compline too) Hopefully this will begin to influence the other congregations (we have 5 Sunday Masses every weekend - it's a BIG and busy parish)
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Absolutely, Adam, I would love that! And dissecting Cardinal Ratzinger's 1998 address paragraph by paragraph would be first on the agenda. I feel like that talk is the long lost piece to a puzzle and once you fit it into the rest, all these other connections are instantly made and everything lights up----kind of like Nicholas Cage in National Treasure.

Perhaps what we see in the French model of the Sung High Mass is the vibrant participation which characterizes the high Anglican tradition combined with the very best expression possible of the Catholic liturgical tradition. The fusion of these two traditions creates a synergistic effect that fills one's spirit with joy and strength and gives you the necessary vigor you need to spread the Kingdom of God.

Unless you are filled up and inspired, you're not going to be have the necessary strength and inspiration, zeal and hope to go out into the world. Indeed, it's not possible to live without Sunday Mass: Sine dominico non possumus vivere.

And I experienced that so well this past Sunday. We were fortunate to have two men guests join our schola so we had for the first time 6 women and 4 men singing the propers and ordinary. It was so powerful and moving, esp. during the Gloria which we sang from Mass VI, Rex Genitor, I was starting to get a little emotional. Then during the Alleluia which is one of the most beautiful of the whole liturgical year, it was just sublime. I felt like we were in St. Nicholas du Chardonnet! It was so beautiful and joy-filled, All I could think is that this is what it's all about---singing the Mass is the quintessential activity of believing Catholics. That is the wellspring from which everything else should flow.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Jahaza, I do think that some things are turning around now, thanks to the fact that many (diocesan) priests saying the Vetus Ordo never new it in the past and are going to places like St John Cantius to learn to say it. I do know that the 'indult Mass' in my Diocese was the general 1950's recreation: Fiddle-backs, Lace and Rossini. There are also priests (of all ages) that I know of in traditionalist orders/institutes that are part of the recreationist crowd - and refuse to even let the people sing 'Et cum spiritu tuo'.

I also remember seeing a video called "The Immemorial Tridentine Mass", said by an SSPX priest (before the episcopal consecrations) in the US (Alabama, I think). The voice-over at the beginning introducing the Mass called it "The most beautiful thing this side of heaven" -- it was not: The Propers were all rushed through in Psalm-tones, the Ordinary was one of the many Hymn-tune Masses in vogue in the '50's, based on 'Holy God we Praise Thy Name'. I went away not thinking, "Wow, this is wonderful", but "No wonder they changed the Mass". It was not until I saw what the Old Mass could be, through a video of a Solemn Mass with Cardinal Stickler in NYC, that I fell in love with it.

I have heard from many people (anecdotal) and seen many music lists from the time to have an inkling of the general "Menu" of the parish 'High Mass'; I have also inherited music libraries from (local) closed parishes: Not a single Liber or Gradual (only from one parish did I inherit Brager's Kyriale, and a couple copies of 'Chants of the Church') - Many, many, Masses and Vespers by WA Leonard, JL Battmann, WO Fiske, and other thankfully forgotten composers; and several sets of Rossini, or Rossini-Style, Propers. The wear-and-tear on these books suggests that they were the bread and butter for the local parishes here, in combination with St. Basil's Hymnbook and the St. Gregory Hymnal, the Catholic Chapel Hymnal, the Holy Cross Hymnal (by William "Gangplank Bill" Cardinal O'Connell), and other such like.

After V2 we get gems like "The People's Mass Book"
  • kevinfkevinf
    The last time I went to St. Nicolas in Paris, it took me about two days to come down from the experience. The combination of strong participation, beautiful singing,very powerful preaching (sadly, I only got about 70%) and profoundly Catholic ethos left me quite speechless.

One must experience it to get the gist of Julie's argument.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    That is the wellspring from which everything else should flow.

"Source and summit," we liberals like to say.
    Thanked by 2Salieri JulieColl
  • Kevin, that has been my experience in France, too.
    Words I would use are: transcendent, forceful, profound, organic, rich, diverse. It made me long for our heavenly home with all my senses.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • There are many who would say heaven would be more like your first example because everyone seems more joyous and having a good time. I would not be one of them.

To paraphrase Hamlet: "The SSPX hath that which passeth show - these, but the trappings and suits of the NO."
  • shawnk
    [removed by poster]
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Thanks for reviving this fascinating thread.
  • I do not and never have worn a 'split surplice', but am contemplating one for the future. At least a split surplice still looks like a surplice (though we well may quibble about the aesthetic honesty involved). Too, a crucifer wears a slit-sleeved surplice (a rochet) in order that his arms are free to carry his beautiful burden. The thuribler does the same so that his arms are free for swinging his fragrances (especially when doing 'Queen Anns'). In all these cases the surplice still looks and feels like a surplice, and the rochet is what it is. Not so, the so-called fiddle-back chasuble. Nothing keeps it from looking like the unfortunate hacked-to-pieces and scissor-ravaged vestigial garment that it is. I have yet to see a priest wearing an unsavaged chasuble having any difficulty censing the altar or moving his arms about as prescribed during the canon of the mass - not even when wearing a very ample so-called Gothic chasuble. The fiddle-back chasuble is the monstrous remnant of a garment borne of chic Baroque taste for the bizarre, and is essentially corrupt and decadent.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • a_f_hawkins
    Wikipedia: "... which prevailed in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, when the chasuble was reduced to a broad scapular, ..."