Time To Purge Your Church of NON-Catholic Music
  • Maureen
    Even though in some ways it's a static "noun" hymn, I think the overall effect of this ejaculatory literary form is to scream, "LOOK! PAY ATTENTION! CHECK IT OUT!" So there's a sort of implied action. :)
  • Kathy
    Thanks! And I agree, Maureen, that it is a perfectly legitimate liturgical dynamic to wonder out loud, and exhort. Not that there's any comparison, but that is the "directionality" or "grammar" of the Easter communion, Christ our Pasch.

About the hymn, apparently CanticaNOVA received 3 setting submissions when it was first posted. Which is ironic, because CNP isn't really a hymn-publishing house. At the moment a composer is setting the entire collection to which it belongs, as my collaborator. Personally I sing it to Aurelia.
  • JamJam
    "Actually we're pretty fortunate that most Catholics aren't really strong believers. If every one of ours said a 5 minute confession as required during the Easter season our priests would be booked solid 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 25 weeks!"

If most Catholics were really strong believers,

there would be more priests.
  • francis
    God despises lukewarm believers. It is akin to a spiritual plague of locusts that leave nothing but dead wood and bare ground.

sed quia tepidus es et nec frigidus nec calidus incipiam te evomere ex ore meo
  • francis
    OK... couldn't sleep. So I decided to take a stab at Kathleen's beautiful hymn text, "How Light The Bread Of Angels". I just sent Kathleen the PDF and if she is OK about sharing it here, we will be sure to post it for everyone.
  • Kathy
    Francis,

While I'm honored by this outpouring of new music for my hymn texts, from you and others, I must repeat what I have said above: I am working with a composer as my collaborator. I am sure that there are many texts in the public domain that would be equally suitable for your composition. (Fortunately it is a standard meter!) I wish you all the best with your work!

Please do not post the pdf.
  • francis
    Kathy,

We also wish you the best in your endeavors.
  • It's nice to have new tunes, no matter where the inspiration comes from!
  • francis
    noel:

I have posted the hymn with a new text on the forum under New Composition, "Partake This Bread". Feel free to use it for all of your liturgical endeavors! It would make a great first communion piece.
  • Thank you. The church needs new hymns and chant.
  • francis
    You are quite welcome. I am most humbly obliged to be at your service. I have dozens of hymn tunes. I will try to make it a point to get them to you.
  • GavinGavin
    jcecce - You are new here, I notice, so welcome! But if you read carefully, I was actually making a statement about generalities. Just as I'm against interpreting any text in the worst manner possible, I also disagree with your statement about "context". The context on the Sacrament is that most Catholics don't believe in transubstantiation. And is it REALLY "theological hair splitting" to say that the hymn clearly says we're eating bread? The typical Catholic can understand the difference between substance and accidents but not what "the bread you eat" says in English grammar?

We each have a duty to do our best to present texts at liturgy which are edifying and in line with Catholic theology.
  • Kathy
    As a minimum! Imagine if our texts actually taught!
  • Imagine if we actually used the texts of the liturgy!
  • GavinGavin
    That is also preferable, Aristotle, but the argument must be had again as soon as one introduces a motet or a hymn after Mass.
  • @jcecce

To second Gavin, welcome to the forum! I hope that you will read through many of the conversations here and discover that the heart of the matter really and truly is not "a matter is musical style and preference". This question does not go far enough. This question, I believe, is central to a proper understanding of sacred music in liturgy. I really think that we need more concrete discussion about the liturgy which is an objective reality which is not subordinate to our subjective preference. There is some good material on this question--You might consider reading Shawn Tribe's article "Beyond Taste in Liturgical Music" here.
  • In this corner, wearing the white trunks: As a minimum! Imagine if our texts actually taught!-Kathy
    In this corner, wearing the yellow trunks: Imagine if we actually used the texts of the liturgy!- Aris
    And our referree for tonight's bout: We each have a duty to do our best to present texts at liturgy which are edifying..-Gavin

I've garnered there is general consensus here that the wisdom of the Church clearly and canonically desires that Aris' right cross is supremely powerful if it connects with an opponent's chin. But the opponent is always provided the opportunity to keep his/her chin from that blow by the option to maneuver away from Aris' proximity and position.
    Kathy's eloquent understanding of the likewise immense power within the treasury of words provides her with an almost infinite arsenal of jabs that seemingly and unceasingly land as body blows in the liturgical ring.
    Gavin has to closely monitor whether both contenders' actions edify and sanction the bout through due diligence to the rules. I'm not sure that Kathy's jabs are meant to be "teachable moments" in the didactic sense; I'm sure she meant them to function within Gavin's criterium to "edify" already prescribed texts, or otherwise re-create variations that are faithful to "the rules." I don't think that Kathy's texts would seek a target below the belt such as "Sing a New Church into being" or "Our silent past, in church a voiceless throng, frozen in time as in a cold December,..."

Let's call it a draw. For now.
  • Gavin, it's more an unrealized norm than merely a preferable situation — though it is certainly the latter.

At least on the forum, a keyword search will prevent that argument from being had again (I hope).