Recessional hymns
  • Dave
    I realize that this topic has come up often in Catholic music circles. I'm not seeking to spark a debate about the pros and cons thereof. True, there is no "need" for a hymn at the end of Mass. However, my church is one of many with the four-hymn sandwich and I'm not in a position to up-end that tradition at this time. I wish we could use propers and reduce the use of hymns. However, I would politely request that this thread not be turned into a discussion of "for or against."

My concern is principally with the applause that a number of congregants are breaking into, in increasing numbers, at the end of the recessional hymn. This has been happening more frequently over the past few months. I do not know what has caused this. The same cantor and I have been working together for several years and only relatively recently has this become a problem. I understand and am flattered that people want to express their appreciation for the music, but I also don't want them to think of the recessional hymn as a performance for their entertainment, or a piece of music that requires their obvious show of gratitude every week. Loud clapping takes away from the atmosphere of prayer that I'm trying to maintain after Mass.

Do you have suggestions of ways I can express, charitably, to the community that this behavior is not exactly appropriate for the liturgy? Thank you.
  • Kathy
    I'd suggest a musical solution. Would it be possible to avoid bringing the recessional to a full stop? Instead, at the end of the hymn, mellowly modulate into a fairly quiet improvisation/ postlude.

Take away that silent moment that usually follows the hymn.
  • Dave
    Hi Kathy, Thanks. I understand where you're coming from and appreciate the suggestion, but I'm not sure how I feel about needing to do that from week to week. Based on what I've seen at this church, I have a feeling that they're the type to steamroll over any modulation with applause.
  • Liam
    Play in unison octaves.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    That's odd. But I do think you should try Kathy's suggestion for a few weeks to break the habit. In the end though, you might have to just accept this "custom."
    Thanked by 1Mark Husey
  • CharlesW
    The recessional hymn is not part of the mass since it ended with the dismissal. If you can't change the custom, accept it as an after mass musical moment.
  • G
    Is a buletin notice with reference to both a pertinent quote from Ratzinger and a personal quote from the actual musicians demurring be out of the question?
    Of course there are always party guests who ignore the "no presents, please" on invitations.

I suspect a recent newcomer to the parish hasbrought his or her practice to the parish and others felt it would seem actively dissaproving if they did not join in the show of approval when it began.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • Carl DCarl D
    This has been QUITE the issue in our parish. The Pastor has been trying to introduce a more prayerful atmosphere, so he's been annoyed by the applause after Mass. After Easter, he now stays at the foot of the altar through the entire recessional hymn, then asks everyone to kneel for the Prayer to St Michael. Of course, the first few weeks, people were caught offguard by this switch, but he's been patient with it. In the last few weeks, the choir now immediately continues an instrumental postlude of the recessional hymn while the Priest processes out. Which means that the opportunity for applause has been pushed back to when most people are actually out of the nave, so it's pretty spotty.

That's for the contemporary music Mass. For the chant Mass, almost nobody applauds because it just doesn't feel so appropriate to do it after a traditional hymn. The Pastor had a bit of humor about this when he introduced the St Michael Prayer at the end of this Mass, referencing that he was hoping for a more reverential atmosphere but "we already have it at this Mass."

But I know a number of people who still feel that there's a battle of wills going on between the Pastor and the parishioners who just want to show their appreciation at the end of Mass.
  • Mark HuseyMark Husey
    Psalm 47.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • What Psalm 47 says:

All peoples, clap your hands...For the LORD, the Most High, is awesome, the great king over all the earth.

What people think Psalm 47 says:

All peoples, clap your hands...For the choir, the most high in the Church, is awesome, man! Awesome!
  • Dave
    Thanks for the responses so far. However, I'd prefer if the strictly-sarcastic or joking ones were left out, with all due respect. Thanks.
    Thanked by 2Mark Husey eft94530
  • Mark HuseyMark Husey
    I'll say that the main problem one of the many problems with music in Catholic churches is the culture of self-loathing musicians. Applause is just...applause, sometimes. The problem begins when you start to expect it. Ever seen a Papal Mass? Ever seen a Papal FUNERAL?
  • GavinGavin
    I have a problem on occasion with applause after the final hymn. I'm intending to include a notice in the bulletin, "Out of respect for the listening enjoyment of your neighbors and for the integrity of the liturgy, please refrain from applause during the liturgy until the postlude has ended."
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • hartleymartin
    At the end of a recessional hymn, go straight into the postlude. Most of the congregation should leave through that, though there'll always be a few who stay back, listen and decide to applaud.

On reducing the number of hymns in the sandwich, might I suggest singing the Introit Chant, Offertory (Antiphon only) then a hymn, Communion Antiphon with some psalm verses then a hymn and perhaps a recessional where appropriate. You've got 3 hymns and the 3 propers sung this way. It is easier to do this if they use incense at your parish, as it lengthens the offertory enough to do this.

If you also sing all the responses, preface dialogue and the Pater Noster/Our Father at mass, people don't mind a reduced number of hymns. At the Cathedral of my diocese, there are only two hymns at mass (Entrance and Communion) and no one has ever complained about it. There is an offertory motet, the Communion Antiphon and a postlude, but we always, always sing all the responses of the mass.

For the record, I am generally not in favour of recessional hymns in the Ordinary Form Liturgy as it is after the dismissal and not proper to the mass. The only exception I make is to sing Marian Antiphons on Marian Feasts, or where they are local custom.
  • BruceL
    To be honest, I think the applause after the last hymn is a prompting of the Holy Spirit (or good taste, or custom) to do an organ (or piano or guitar or what have you) voluntary.

There are people on here whom I respect a great deal who do not do a closing hymn at the OF Mass; however, if I were going to cut a hymn, it would always be the entrance and never the closing. The closing is the one spot that a hymn which has words that may not be from the canon of Scripture or from Tradition is truly appropriate: it can be a reflection of the community on what they have experienced that day (without detracting from the vertical element of worship).

It works much better in a place where they (the people AND clergy) stay for all (or at least all but the last) verse(s). That's something my predecessor got the clergy to do here and "it is wonderful in our eyes". NO ONE leaves. Very prayerful.

Frankly, I don't care what they do after/during the postlude, whether it's a small improvisation or a showpiece. I try to make sure I use good taste in selecting said voluntary, according to the general Mass of the day.
  • Dave
    Good point, BruceL. However, in my case, this clapping has happened often just before I begin the postlude. During the summer months, I alternate between playing postludes one weekend and not the next, but this phenomenon emerged well outside of the summer.
  • rob
    I share a similar situation as the original poster which, frankly, I have come to realize that I have failed to address for so long that even some members of the congregation appear to be wondering whether there's something amiss (E.g, they seem, based on the qualities of their clapping, to be asking themselves, interiorly, "Should we clap after Parce Domine programmed during Passiontide as a recessional, or not?").

In my defense, I wince every time they decide in the affirmative.

Or, secretly, do I derive gratification from their validation, especially in light of the "reform of the reform" agenda I have attempted to implement?

Not a problem, I hope, for those exclusively within the EF, unless our Blessed Savior Himself were to appear again in form triumphant before the Church assembled.

For the rest of us, though, I endorse any of the musical suggestions above, most important being avoidance of the big "Hollywood/Broadway" end, with apologies to readers outside the U.S.A. for reference to what may seem to be no more than neighborhoods/streets.

And, adding my own, sing so many of the verses of the recessional hymn, that those who might be inclined to clap, finally just give up and leave.

Cf. this, with the advice of the recent post on the theme of "what is the sound of a post-lude falling within an empty church when there is no one to listen."

BruceL, personally, I agree with you that here and at the prelude -- if anywhere -- is the place to rock out.
  • Choices to consider:

1) Play really badly for a few weeks, so no one applauds.
    2) Play some Messaien well: it's sometimes quite jarring, and will therefore encourage responses other than applause.
    3) After the Postlude has finished, stand up and take a bow, and then play an encore.
    4) Ask Father to preach about liturgy and music -- just once, not repeatedly.
    5) Choose, for several weeks, hymns such as Lift High the Cross, which have between 15 and 20 verses, and propose to sing all of them. The 7 verses of Holy God, we praise Thy Name work well, too.
    6) Try a hymn with no accompaniment
  • GavinGavin
    they seem, based on the qualities of their clapping, to be asking themselves, interiorly, "Should we clap after Parce Domine programmed during Passiontide as a recessional, or not?"

Actually, this suggests a way forward for the original poster. Program for the recessional the music you'd LIKE to be doing, ie chant. Then start to program it for Introit, Communion, etc. When people complain, respond, "oh, but everyone claps when we do it!"
    Thanked by 2chonak Jenny
  • Really, this has nothing to do with us as organists.

The pastor needs to mount the pulpit and preach about what is appropriate and what is not at Mass, and why. If he is not interested in solemnity at Mass and in the church, you are out of luck.

Clapping is used to tell others around you that you appreciate the efforts of the human that has appeared before you, which is totally inappropriate at Mass...or weddings.

• CharlesW
    I would prefer clapping to thrown beer cans and rocks, to be sure. Clapping is not really an issue in my parish, so I don't have to deal with it.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
    I don't know why some get so bent out of shape about this and have to end it, come hell or high water.

On some rare occasions, such as after Midnight Mass or Easter, I have seen our congregation turn towards the choir loft and applaud. I don't generally acknowledge it as I would in a concert, and I think that it is just the people's way of acknowledging that myself and the musicians put a lot of hard work in to make these worship experiences reverent, solemn, and spiritually life-giving. I don't think it takes away from God at all to say to someone "Thank you so much for your hard work in making these liturgies so powerful and prayerful!" And I think that is the sentiment that the applause is conveying.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Choirparts
  • cmbearer
    I don't think it takes away from God at all to say to someone "Thank you so much for your hard work in making these liturgies so powerful and prayerful!"

Would it be equally okay to applaud if the priest delivered a homily in which he put in a lot of hard work and that was powerful and prayerful?

Serious question. Where do we draw the line?
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Gavin
  • hartleymartin
    Just keep playing improvised music until everyone leaves.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Kathy
    From the original post, it sounds as though at a certain point of time, the usual custom of not-clapping changed, and now there's a new custom of clapping.

I would guess that one or two people, probably from out of town or something, start the clapping, and the other people just go along with it. So it's becoming established as a custom.

There's no really good reason for it. There are a lot of reasons against it. And now is the time to stop it before it becomes an established thing that the whole congregation always feels is expected.
    Thanked by 1Dave
  • CharlesW
    I know the mass is over during the postlude, and most are rushing out the door to get to their 5,000 calorie lunches and then worship the one-eyed god, the TV. That may be where some hearts have found their true treasure. In any event, if someone does applaud, I can't do anything about it.
  • G
    Would it be equally okay to applaud if the priest delivered a homily in which he put in a lot of hard work and that was powerful and prayerful?

It's not as if this doesn't happen at many places.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Alas, how many homilies are worth applauding?
    From the original post, it sounds as though at a certain point of time, the usual custom of not-clapping changed, and now there's a new custom of clapping.

I would guess that one or two people, probably from out of town or something, start the clapping, and the other people just go along with it. So it's becoming established as a custom.

There's no really good reason for it. There are a lot of reasons against it. And now is the time to stop it before it becomes an established thing that the whole congregation always feels is expected.

I agree with your point; and I think that if he can try your earlier suggestion it might work.

But I don't think we should try to militantly police people's personal actions during/after mass. If it is becoming a custom there, we can subtly try to dissuade them from it. But I wouldn't do more than that. Otherwise you end up looking like the crazy liturgical Nazi.

I've been there, done that. At a previous parish it REALLY FRIED ME when people would applaud the children's choir. I would turn all shades of red and try to do things to stop it, like rushing the kids out before the last note even faded, etc.

Then a couple of people (my wife one of them) gently and diplomatically told me that I was just looking like a crazy person and that other people in the parish were wondering "what my problem was." I finally realized that they were going to clap and it wasn't worth losing sleep over.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I had to deal with this after the postlude for a few Masses, my solution, because I'm just soooo tactful, was to shout this from the gallery:

"Thank you, but please do not applaud for me -- I'm not playing for you."
  • teachermom24
    We'd tried something different today and believe we will continue (at least until our regular priest returns in 5 weeks and puts the kibosh on it, though I'm hoping he won't). Right after the closing hymn ended (a one second break), we (my two teens and I who serve as cantors with my son at the organ) sang the "Salve Regina". My son the organist left the the organ as loud as he had it for the closing hymn and we all sang strongly. A couple of people (one was my husband) remained to listen, but otherwise was the usual free-for-all with the loud yakking--and they really had to shout to be heard over the music. I will be interested to see if there is any lessening in the noise over the next weeks as we continue this practice. My daughter thought the sanctuary emptied faster than usual today, so maybe we accomplished something.
  • Years ago I was in a parish where the choir sang during communion, then everyone stood and sang a Hymn of Thanksgiving. The final blessings were given and the recessional was the organ postlude. Since few people sang either the communion song or the final hymn, combining into one hymn which everyone sang while nothing else was going on seemed to work very well. Is anyone doing this now?
  • If there is any applause after the postlude, it would be by those people who stayed to hear the music and express gratitude for the organ playing. This would seem somehow separated from the rest of the mass.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The Cathedral in Salt Lake City did what Chapman describes whenever I've attended Mass there.
    Thanked by 1ChapmanGonzalez
  • ChoirpartsChoirparts
    Following the mass, on special occasions, the pastor often thanks the choir, as well as others; and this is usually followed by applause. If this happens to you frequently, perhaps the pastor and congregation really appreciate your efforts. I would be more concerned regarding the opposite response.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • donr
    We used to stop the recessional right after the priest processed out of the building. The whole congregation would applaud. I didn't like it very much so we started to do all the verses. Now only the few that stay for the whole piece applaud and I can live with that.

The biggest problem I have is its a friend of mine who always get the applause started just to be a wise guy.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • At a previous assignment, when we ran into this issue, the organist and I did something similar to teachermom's idea. It was based on what I experienced in France- the choir and congregation robustly singing the Salve Regina. They owned it- no accomp needed.

Here was the formula:
    1) Final hymn (not loud, just usual and varied by verse accomp)
    2) Acapella Salve Regina, intoned by cantors immediately after the hymn, announced ahead of time and sung by many if not most congregants. Our organist used this time to get everything set for a postlude.
    3) Organ postlude immediately after chant

That way no one was pushed out of the church, so several people could stay and say their thanksgivings, and there was no pause in the music in which to offer applause.

Practical, formative, and fruitful, so it seemed.
  • People may clap over soft instrumental music. They almost certainly won't clap during the Salve Regina.
  • And I agree about not losing too much sleep about it. Go slow, be patient, prayerful and crafty about phasing out applause. Especially if it's not your problem to solve.

I do sympathize- I personally cringe and duck behind the nearest pillar or choir loft rail when applause is directed at me. When I'm on stage, I appreciate it, and have different bows, etc. But in church it's miserably awkward.

Noel also has a point- if the pastor wants the applause to end, he needs to address it and has his choice in any number of ways.
  • teachermom24
    if the pastor wants
    fill in the blank . . . that can change anything and everything in an instant. Our parish bulletin carries a standard message "Silence is to maintained from entering to exiting the sanctuary" so why is there this raucous noise in the sanctuary every week right after the closing hymn? Because our pastor does not tell the people to maintain silence. If our pastor told everyone to remain after Mass and pray, most would. If he told them to maintain silence until exiting the sanctuary, they would (this only happens during the Triduum).

Thank you, Mary Ann, for that "formula". As soon as we get up to speed with the "Salve Regina" so we can sing it acapella, we will and my son will carry on with the postlude.

Kathy