Who are the Best Organists, Dead or Alive?
  • For another dead one or two -

Paul Hoffheimer is said to have been exceptionally gifted, one of the greatest of his age.
    We will never know.
    He even got wood-cutted in exquisite attire and in his own fancy conveyance in Emperor Maximillian's triumphal procession by no less than Albrecht Durer.
    I've often wondered how, if I had been present as that procession ambled by, his little regal or positiv would have sounded amidst all the din of clomping horses, the rumble of carriage wheels, the whirling dust, and the inevitable chatter of the crowds.

Too, we can but conjecture about the experience of hearing the phenomenal likes of what Frescobaldi is said to have been. Hearing him would, no doubt, be a thrilling revelation of the late renaissance musical mind in all its fecund brilliance. Thankfully, we can 'see through a glass darkly' by playing his music with the imagination and spirit implicit in his own commentaries.

And, wouldn't it be marvelous if we could hear de Grigny or Couperin actually playing their own works? How blessed are we that, owing to the intense scholarship of the last fifty or so years, we can know that their music is so, so much more than the notes as written on the page. What musical eloquence! Actually playing their music with the scholarship now available to us would have been heresy to the interpretative methods of the XIXth and early XXth centuries, whose musicians would likely have been quite perplexed, even vexed, at what this (as well as Bach's) music really sounded like.
  • CharlesW
    I don't know, Jackson. I half-way expect the "scholars" of the 22nd century to say, "those organists of the late 20th and early 21st centuries didn't know diddly about playing Bach." Each age tends to think it knows more than those who came before it.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Right you are, Charles!
    At least, though, we have begun something rather remarkable in music history, namely, applying ourselves to the incredibly rewarding task of performing the music of past ages as nearly as we can to how their peoples performed it. In past times, yes, old music was often played - but it was played the same way as 'modern' music was played - or sung. We have begun a thing which our musical forebears would have thought quite a bit more than curious. Even Wagner and Mahler, who worshipped Beethoven, thought nothing of altering and 'fleshing out' Beethoven's orchestrations of the ninth and other works - and of performing them just as they would their own music, in such manner as Beethoven would likely predictably have exploded at. So great a man as RVW pooh-poohed the very idea of the 'early music movement'. But, you are right. it is inevitable that scholars of the future may wink at our musical research, chant or other. Not to fret, though: we have laid the foundations and quite a bit more to which, ineluctably, their work will be but an addendum - and the wise ones will acknowledge their indebtedness to us.

In fact, the worst thing that could happen would be for them to think our efforts were the last word and to enshrine them as infallible dicta not ever to be budged from. Many in the world of plain chant have done just this with the so-called Solesmes method and the enshrinement of the invaluable-but-not-free-from-error scholarship of a hundred years ago in the venerable period piece that is the LU. Too, thankfully, we are no longer presented with the bloated and gaudy performances of Mozart symphonies which the genius Furtwangler gave us, gorgeous as they were as things in and of themselves. And, no one today would treat us to the virtuosic savaging of Beethoven's piano sonatas which earned for Liszt the deliriously ecstatic acclaim of his gasping and spell-bound audiences. Yes, now that you mention it, one wonders just what musicians of the future will say about our most eloquent music making!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    It has always puzzled me that seminars and chant workshops are taught using Solesmes editions. Why? The answer I get when I ask is along the lines of, "That's what everyone knows." Do they? If people who don't know chant to begin with are being taught, isn't it a good opportunity to teach them something else?
  • Do they? ....... isn't it a good opportunity...

This is not just sage - it is really smart!

The answer is, 'no, they don't'.

As for the 'opportunity' - well, too many people are satisfied to teach what they know and assume that what they don't know is sort of irrelevant. Because, naturally, what they know is all anyone needs to know, n'est ce pas?. Little do they know or realise that this isn't a terribly smart attitude. But, let no one be permitted to disabuse them of it.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • but their love of the music moved them to play it anyhow.

This, I think, is an important part of what we do.
  • I wonder about the Solesmes method too. Damn near everyone who chants knows it, even if they tend towards semiology and a looser method of conducting, i.e. Conduct what you want the chant to sound like. But, some people treat it as a measure of orthodoxy as if it could never change.
  • ...measure of orthodoxy as if it could never change.

I know it only because at the time I was learning chant it was all that seemed to exist. I never taught it or performed it, though, because it became quite apparent to me rather quickly that it just didn't hold water, was inconsistent, required the invention of beats and highly subjective adjustments, groups of two and three didn't pan out, and further research learned me that it even relied on so-called rhythmic markings such as the 'vertical episema' which simply did not appear, ever, in the earliest chant manuscripts. As for the elusive and rather subjectively chosen ictus that didn't really seem to exist or make sense, I was delirious when I met Fr Columba, who told me it didn't exist at all and that he had never seen one. That he is a far, ridiculously far superior chant scholar than anyone who is pawning off the so-called Solesmes Method in the twenty-first century is beyond question. Indeed, it was Fr Columba who graciously provided me with the theoretical basis for text-governed chant as I had understood it for many years.

Yes, Matthew is right, the so-called SM is, yet, commonplace in that, probably, most chant singers (in the US, that is!) have been reared on it or were taught by its adherents. It's sort of a given that if one is chanting with certain people one just humours them, looks askance, and sings the quilisma wrongly. That, and much else. It's impossible to teach people who already know it all, but know it all wrong.

That is what happens when one gets stuck on once-valuable-but-now-eclipsed scholarship and behaves (an hundred years on, yet!) as if nothing had happened in chant research since their method was new. Granted, the scholarship of a hundred years ago represents a glorious advance over what was typical chant performance at that time. But, this same scholarship is now a hundred years old and is as outdated as what it supplanted.

Read Gregorian Semiology, Cardine, Saulnier, Kelly, et al., and don't forget Hiley. These and their scholarly kin are the last word in chant until our next generation learns even more. Too, not unworthy of serious note are the speculative interpretations of historic period chant by the likes of Marcel Perez and others.

I must add that these words are given in an academic spirit. As far as actual SM chant goes, I have heard some renditions which were self referentially beautiful and performed with, shall we say, 'methodical' artistry. If one really prefers the SM after carefully evaluating current scholarship, then Godspeed. SM chant has all the validity (that validity, and no more) of other historic relics such as renaissance Medicean chant, or baroque French plein-chant musical, Pustet, or any other period 'method'. It's good, actually, that we keep them all alive and perform them in appropriate circumstances. But erecting one of these period methods onto a pedestal as though it were and the last word for all time is absurd, dishonest, and intellectually irresponsible. None of them are.

(All this is not off topic because I heard the 2016 Easter Day mass at St Mary's Cathedral in Sydney on youtube this afternoon and the organist was very good - except that he accompanied the (incredibly ponderous) plain chant not just with the normal quiet 8' stops but with a plenum. No heads were turned, and I couldn't see whether anyone was showing the whites of his or her eyes. The organist was not the only one who was very good! The cathedral choir of men and boys were quite as good, magnificent, really, as any in Britain [or, for that matter, as a certain choir on Fifth Avenue of a certain city in the US] - and better than some.)
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • A colleague put me on to this recently, under the heading of amazing organists. I disagree, but all comments welcome, nay, encouraged.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hrhz1-cpje [watch at your own risk]

Cameron Carpenter, playing Stars and Stripes Forever of John Philip Sousa.
  • Jackson,

If I remember correctly, this means you've self-edited so as to avoid saying anything intemperate?

• bhcordovabhcordova
    MJO, what you described about organists applies equally to trombonists. Take a look at The International Trombone Association (www.trombone.net) Nothing really special about organists (besides being able to play organ.)
  • Chris -

You noticed!

Words are valuable!

Wasting them is poor stewardship -
    about which we heard in yesterday's gospel.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    After much thought and reflection on this subject I must disagree with Adam. I think an organist who is alive would be much better at playing than someone who is dead.

You clearly are unaware of my preferences re: organ music.
  • Jackson,

May I take it that you know the performer's work, and don't generally approve?
  • You may (and what do you mean 'generally'?) -
    in fact, I'd say that you deserve a [yellow box rescinded] for putting the likes of that on our forum. Shame!
  • Widor, for sure.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    My father, just one of a lot of people I know who said essentially the same thing, always quipped, "The best cats are the dead ones." I don't think he held that opinion of organists, though.
  • CharlesW
    I would agree with him on the cats. LOL.
  • ...the dead ones...

That's clever, but I'm not sure I don't know what it means.
    Nor can I agree. A dead cat is rather a disgusting thing to see.
    I love cats (a few degrees less than dogs), but much prefer them alive.

One thing is certain: being the best is exceptional and out of the ordinary.
    Someone once told me that the only fish who go with the flow (meaning the river's current) are dead. This may or may not be true (I'm neither a piscene nor a flumenary scholar) but it sounds smart. It does seem to me, though, that in human affairs, those who 'go with the flow' never get anywhere worth getting to.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    On a serious note(?), I first encountered Albert Schweitzer's organ playing in the late 1950s. He is justly famous for his humanitarian work as a doctor, but few now are acquainted with his abilities as a musician. Here are several examples, including a Mendelssohn sonata, of his playing. Be aware that Schweitzer passed away in 1965, and most of the original recordings date from the 1930s-early 1950s.

Albert Schweitzer plays J.S. Bach: Fantasy and Fugue G-mol, BWV542
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk796sMk_dQ

Albert Schweitzer plays J.S. Bach: BWV 653 An Wasserflussen Babylon
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzUDhoYxuI8

Albert Schweitzer plays J.S. Bach: Prelude in D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbU3preF97o

Bach / Albert Schweitzer, 1952: Prelude in C Major - Original Columbia Masterworks LP
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRfe3F66VXk

Albert Schweitzer plays J. S. Bach: BWV 731, BWV 625, BWV 622, BWV 665 Organ Chorale Preludes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySRsQlgx6hk

Albert Schweitzer Plays Chorale Overture by J. S. Bach
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSQSgwDRT84

Schweitzer's Bach
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUORi4WpHxA

Mendelssohn / Albert Schweitzer, 1952: Sonata No. 6 in D Minor, Op. 65
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-5da888UJw

Dr. Albert Schweitzer - Full Documentary
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf4B9v0s0CY
  • Jackson,

I'm glad to be confirmed in my opinion that the stuff didn't highlight the best living or dead organ players.

I was alarmed when someone proposed that I watch this stuff as an example of an excellent organist.

Do I get the yellow box rescinded if I put my suggestion in purple?
  • ...rescinded...

Oh, of course!
    It's done.

So someone recommended this stuff to you?
    It's inhuman, brutish, actually, the things that some people are taken in by.
    And to think that they would recommend it to others!
    Musical dope peddlers.
    Pure cultural idiocy.
  • Many thanks, Chuck, for the Schweitzer recordings.
    I've never heard him before, but have always reverenced his example of service.
    I wonder how many of us here have his Bach editions - the big ones.
    Mine, still bearing the price of $5 or so per volume (!) are quite ragged and tattered by now.
    I make copies of everything I play so as to save my precious scores.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BruceL
    Nathan Laube's recent recital (from AGO in Pittsburgh this past year) is up on YouTube and is fantastic. His playing has been really phenomenal the last few years, all the more amazing since he's quite busy teaching at Eastman, too!
  • eft94530eft94530
    "."
    "means you've self-edited"
    "what you described"

Why not self-edit earlier
    and spare some of the early readers the text,
    and spare all of the late readers the dots (and yellow squares with dots)?
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • CharlesW
    But isn't the suspense exciting? LOL.
  • ...(and yellow squares with dots)?

Actually, only one dot, not 'dots', will ever be experienced in a given comment.
    Nor will one encounter both a yellow square and a dot together.
    Only one of one or the other.

And, ha!, I might add that none other than Chonak said nothing but '!' as a comment somewhere here the other day. So, I'm not the only one. Plus, I've seen a few dots from time to time that weren't mine. (The nerve!)
    Thanked by 2CharlesW francis
  • Yes, Bruce -
    Nathan Laubes is quite inspiring to watch.
    Phenomenal memory and perfect ease, one would could but say 'aplomb'.
    Such are the standards being raised in our day.
    It's really getting sort of embarrassing not to play from memory!
    Not so long ago it was considered perfectly normal - for organists, that is - to read (sometimes even sight-read!) a recital.
    Actually, I always thought in the back of my mind that calling something a 'recital' when one was reading the score was a contradiction in terms.

Still, as I noted far above, while so many now are being trained with impeccable technique, amazing memory of scads of pieces, and so forth, they have little or no discrimination and think nothing of putting Buxtehude and Ride of the Valkyries on the same program.
  • CharlesW
    I don't know, the anticipated audience may make a difference in programming. When I have played for AGO or other music groups, I have been a bit more careful in selecting music. A more "party" atmosphere where all are not musicians can have more pieces for fun.