Quicumque vult
  • Chrism
    From Wikipedia:
    Composed of 44 rhythmic lines, the Athanasian Creed appears to have been intended as a liturgical document – that is, the original purpose of the creed was to be spoken or sung as a part of worship. The creed itself uses the language of public worship, speaking of the worship of God rather than the language of belief ("Now this is the catholic faith: We worship one God"). In the Catholic Church in medieval times, this creed was recited following the Sunday sermon or at the Sunday Office of Prime. The creed was often set to music and used in the place of a Psalm.

Does anyone know of any extant settings?

(Here is one setting in English)
  • Thanked by 2Gavin Chrism
  • billmcjohn
    The Liber Usualis gives it pointed for Mode 7 (p. 227).
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • Chrism
    Thanks, all. But no composed polyphonic settings?
  • Chrism,

Since the time of polyphonic settings, the guidelines concerning music for the community gathering together in fellowship and worship have given us the option not to sing this text, and so the sensus fidelium has spoken her prophetic voice and -- accordingly -- parishes don't sing this anymore.
  • MarkThompson
    At exactly what point in time did "parishes" sing the Athanasian Creed? I wasn't aware it was ever particularly popular to gather the parish round and sing Prime (in Latin, of course).

Would be fun to see, though.
    Thanked by 2BruceL CharlesW
  • DL
    Here is the beginning of Thomas Ravescroft's 1621 metricization. I can't see it catching on.

What man soever he be that,
    salvation will attain,
    the Catholic believe he must
    before all things retain:
    Which faith unless he holy keep
    and undecidedly:
    Without all doubt eternally,
    he shall be sure to die.

The Catholic belief is this,
    that God we worship one
    In Trinity, and Trinity
    in unity alone.
    So as we neither do confound
    the persons of the three.
    Nor yet the substance whole of one,
    in sunder parted be.
  • Chrism
    The earliest composed church music was usually written for a particular local context like a Cathedral chapter or royal chapel.

My understanding is that capitular churches, like monasteries, would do everything in the book and then some.
  • There are various versions arranged by Francis Pott in his "The Free-rhythm Psalter."
    https://archive.org/details/freerhythmpsalt00englgoog

The Athanasian Creed was included in the Church of England at Mattins approximately 12 times per year.

I must agree: it must have had a very rare appearance in parochial worship in the RCC.

The Trappists in Oregon still use it on Trinity Sunday with an Antiphon, and (mercifully) a three part chant (really more like inflections).

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Usually I don't like bumping a thread this old, but the information deserves to be noted somewhere:

IMSLP has a five-part setting by Lassus.

This recording has a setting by Urban de Vargas.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Chrism
  • JDE
    When I was playing for the Lutheran church, it was the practice for the congregation to read the Athanasian Creed every Trinity Sunday as part of the service; however, the translation was not metrical, and they only read it. They didn't sing it.
  • We, too, said this creed every Trinity Sunday when I served a large Lutheran church. We also say it (we actually sing it) at Walsingham every Trinity Sunday. This is not a strictly Lutheran custom, but has roots quite far back, and was once a commonplace throughout the Catholic world. I think, now, that it is customary (in the technical sense) in 'the ordinariate'. Personally, I was never comfortable pronouncing anathemae and speaking of certain unfortunate souls as damned. While we believe that some poor souls will indeed suffer this fate, I would never want to speculate on just who they might be. That is for God alone to know and judge. Our Lord said as much.
  • aphanaphan
    Hello
    I've found this item with google search. Can help ?
    http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02033b.htm
    If anyone has a partition of this Athanasian Creed, i am interrested
    Thanks