Update on Fr. Justin Wylie
  • PGA, I'm in total agreement. If you knew me, my friends, and fights I've had with fellow Catholics you'd know that.

What I object to- what I find almost laughingly stupid- is theming a mass on a deadly sin. Pride is wrong, no matter one's sexual orientation. Christians do not celebrate pride anymore than they celebrate sloth or envy, etc.
  • CharlesW
    I have said before, and seemingly must repeat, Christians spend too much time and effort worrying about gay people. They represent a small, small segment of the population and many of them may not welcome all the attention in the first place. Surely, the Church has far more serious issues and problems to tackle than who is or isn't gay, and what they may be doing.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Thread drift, farther off field than the Malaysian flight 303. Danger Will Robinson.

Musica Sacra Forum- isn't the "Sacra" part of that subjective to just the Musica? So, do we really need to go "there" about "people?" Not trying to censure, stifle, whatever...just saying.....
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I never understood why "thread drift" is such an issue. If we sat around a table for 3 hours chatting, wouldn't we have "conversation drift?" I sure hope we would!
  • Melo, yes it's an incredible drift!
    As for my part in the sled ride, I commented on the idiocy of a pride mass because I feel Julie is justifiably upset that a faithful parish might be closed while a nearby parish that hosts a pride mass would remain open.
    Yeah, I totally get her point. It's seemingly scandalous.

Julie, I'm doubling down on prayers that Holy Innocents will be allowed to continue to thrive. Also for the situation for Fr. Wylie. I do hope he might appeal the decision, and that peace can be made ASAP.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Amen.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Theo
    I don't want to extend this painful subject, but things just got even more convoluted in the Archdiocese of New York. It would appear that six blocks away from Holy Innocents where those parishioners are preparing themselves for the closure and probable demolition of their beloved church, the parishioners at St. Francis of Assisi on West 31st St. are preparing for this celebration.

Ironically, back in March/April, the Archdiocese came up with the recommendation that Holy Innocents and St. John the Baptist (run by the Capuchin Franciscans) be merged into St. Francis of Assisi. Since then, other proposals have been put forth. In November, the Archdiocese will announce its final decisions.

In any case, I just looked at the web page of St. Francis of Assisi and notice that the Director of LGBT Ministry is also the Director of Music there. Many years ago, St. Francis had a decent music program. It was this current Director of Music who destroyed everything, replacing good sacred music with cocktail music, and with speakers turned way up that the sound is painful to listen to. Here is an example of bad liturgy and bad music going hand in hand.
  • dad29
    my main point is that we have one side of this story. We have heard from upset parishioners, Rorate Caeli, and Fr. Z. We have heard very little from Archdiocesan official

I, too, have followed this as well as possible and have the same vague little red flag waving in the background. Pace Julie, credentials can be deceiving--see, e.g., Rembert Weakland, OSB, who was credentialed, too.

Look, if his home Diocese thought that he was unjustly whacked by Cdl Dolan, why did they put him into 'Farther Noplace' as his next assignment?

Something's missing here.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Dear Dad,

I don't think the fact that Fr. Wylie has been assigned to a parish to Thokoza (a violent shanty town in South Africa) as per Matt Abbott's article here is necessarily any indication that he has any particular issues as you seem to be saying, if I understand you correctly. It would seem he's in good company. After all, rumor has it that a preeminent conservative American cardinal is to be sent packing to the Roman equivalent of Timbuktu for no apparent reason, and I just read about the high-profile dismissal of a conservative South American bishop who claims he is the victim of "ideological persecution."

Considering the current ecclesiastical climate and the increasing tension between ideological/theological viewpoints, it's only fair to wonder if politics instead of justice is the underlying motive in some of these rapid "re-assignments."
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Humorous aside- Julie, is it just me, or isn't it so neat to start a post with "Dear Dad?"
    Heck, I'm 63 and I get wistful (thanks Kenneth) when I comment after him.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Yes, I can feel the years dropping away even though Dad29 is probably much younger than this old mother hen. : )
  • dad29
    Julie, don't bet the farm on our relative ages....

Let me unpack your reply. 1) I don't know, nor did I imply, that Fr. W. "Has Issues." However, his Bishop dumped him into Outer Slobbovia. Curious. 2) Cdl. Burke will be living in Rome and will be in charge of an organization which loves him. Not a bad landing, although I share your general concern about the move. 3) The South American bishop was protecting--vigorously--a notorious pedophile priest who was also a fraud artist (ask the people in PA. who fell for his scheme--or Paul Likoudis, likewise taken by the miserable lowlife.) The removal of the Bishop was an act of justice.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Yes, but the fact that Fr. Wylie was banished from the NY Archdiocese immediately after his straightforward sermon at Holy Innocents could lead a reasonable person to assume that the two events were related; his subsequent assignment to a part of South Africa where 47 murders/day is the norm does not change my impression at least that he is probably being sanctioned for his outspoken defense of traditional-minded Catholics. Of course, I can't prove that this is the case, and I hope it isn't the case, but that's what it looks like to me.

I've been following the case of Archbishop Livieres for a while, and it's quite complex. I think it's far too early to say definitively that his removal was an act of justice, esp. since the Archbishop has given a lengthy rebuttal to the accusations about Fr. Urritigoity on his diocesan website here. and claims, among other things that the priest in question came highly recommended by several cardinals, including Card. Ratzinger himself before he became Pope.

One of Arbp. Livieres' sharpest critics, a former Catholic bishop who is now a Senator, has said recently that the Archbishop's dismissal was not because of Fr. Urritiguity:

What Livieres is being blamed for, "and what I also have criticized him for," said Lugo, was the fact that he had not contributed "to the unity of the Church" in Paraguay.

Far be it from little ol' me to unravel all of this, but one can't be blamed for trying to find a pattern and possible rationale behind these strange developments.
  • chonakchonak
    Note that the Rorate Coeli blog, staunch supporters of tradition and traditionalists, lists Bp. Livieres' anti-ecclesial actions -- harboring the corrupt priest, and accusing other bishops in the country of moral turpitude or diminished orthodoxy -- and says "the bishop's fall was mostly of his own making." If anyone is uncertain about the rightness of the bishop's removal, the commentary is worth reading.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for this Chonak. I didn't know about the intervention of the SSPX in this case. Oh my gosh. What a mess.

• If anyone wishes to help Fr. Wylie and Our Lady of Mount Carmel Thokoza, donations can be made at:
    https://www.facebook.com/thokozaparish?sk=app_195646697137509&app_data
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Breitbart article here on the current situation of Fr. Justin Wylie after his fateful sermon at Holy Innocents Church in Manhattan last spring.

Be sure to check out the undated video of a festive Mass at his new church. To go from living in a palatial embassy in Manhattan to a windowless delapidated shack, and from the glorious TLM's at St. Agnes and Holy Innocents to this liturgy requires quite an adjustment for anyone, I would imagine.