Litany of the Saints
  • chonakchonak
    "just adding saints' names"? Alas, it hasn't always been done that way.

I witnessed one case in which the candidates' names were added to the litany ("St. Robyi, pray for us") without anyone bothering to make a proper substitution of their corresponding patrons' names. The effect was pretty stupid. OTOH, it was thirty years ago.

Now, folks, don't be too harsh on Origen. While some of his speculations were erroneous, he wasn't culpable of heresy, as the doctrines weren't condemned until well after his lifetime. And some of the errors denounced were not his own assertions, but extrapolations therefrom, which he may not have held. Saints Athanasius, Basil, and Gregory of Nazianzus defended him on various points, according to the Catholic Encyclopedia article on Origen.

But I do agree that it is wrong to include a non-saint in the litany, which is the important point.

For Jam, I've come across a very nice article by Fr. Schmemann about the Prayer of Saint Ephrem.
  • CharlesW
    [off-topic material deleted--admin]

Jam, the confirmation names chosen by candidates are saints names, so it sounds like they would be ok. Since the pastor said to do it, it doesn't matter as far as I am concerned. It just a part of my job. These Latins have no idea about saints names. How would they like adding St. Barsanuphius the Great, St. Xenobia, or Arcadius, Bishop and New Hieromartyr to the litany? ;-)
  • Thanks, Richard for the clarification re. Origen. For my part, I can't endorse his inclusion in a litany though. Becker must have had some sort of Jones for that.
  • JamJam
    @ Chonak: hey, thanks for thinking of me. Where can I find the article at? Father Schmemann was a wonderful writer... I got to meet his widow in person in Ellwood City, PA! That was quite a treat. She told us stories about when the Berlin Wall fell--she was there, and still has pieces of it in her house!
  • chonakchonak
    Jam, to see the article, click on the words "Prayer of Saint Ephrem" (above). I made that a link.

The Prayer of Saint Ephrem is probably good to think about here, since it reminds us to find fault with ourselves, and not to find fault with those around us.
  • Aaron
    If you find yourself in a parish where you have to do the Becker, anyone notice that there is now a revised version from OCP in the replacement pages for 2012? The saints actually have the title "Saint" before their name, and no more Origen. The groupings of three saints have been reduced to one saint except for the typical pairings such at Sts Peter and Paul and like. I think this is a great improvement.
  • Liam
    Very interesting to hear. To be included in a public litany, the saint has to have been raised to the altars in some way recognized by the Church, at least in the Martyrology (which would include recitation in the Divine Office). Part of the honors of being raised to the altars is being included in public litanies.
  • Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but perhaps it's better than starting a new one.

What I'd like to know is if there's an abbreviated form of the Litany that can be used at a EF celebration (say, for example, a Baptism).
  • tomjaw
    In the EF there are two versions, the longer one used during a Rogations Procession and the shorter one used during the Easter Vigil. Both can be found in the Liber Usualis / Graduale Romanum 1962.

These would usually have the invocations doubled ie. the Cantor sings the Invocation and the ora pro..., then the choir repeats the invocation and the ora pro...
    Of course there is no reason why it could not be sung in the modern way with out doubling during a baptism, also it could be cut short, so ending it after the last of the saints...
    Thanked by 1Ora_et_Labora
  • AP23AP23
    What's wrong with Becker? It's great, it has accurate words, and best of all, it has a fixed rythym!
  • chonakchonak
    It's a matter of preference. Well, old versions included some non-saints, so they weren't liturgically correct, but that's been fixed. I'm not fond of the rhythm -- sometimes I think it has a cha-cha feel -- but some folks like it.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What's wrong with Becker? It's great, it has accurate words,

It does not. (Or has it been revised?)

and best of all, it has a fixed rythym!

a. hardly.
    b. that would not be "best of all" in many people's minds
  • CharlesW
    I haven't seen the revised, since the pastor told me not to use the Becker again. Something to do with Origen, perhaps, and he thought the chant version was better.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    We dropped the Becker at the pastor's invitation, and not because of good Origen, he just got tired of the interminable time it soaked up at Vigil. The RE/RCIA haven't gotten over its loss yet, tho' the chanted version has been taken up quite handily by PiPs; the overlapping vocal handoff-"Sts. Perpetua and FelicityHearOurPrayer..."
  • AP23AP23
    since the pastor told me not to use the Becker again. Something to do with Origen, perhaps,

What's with the origin?

• AP23AP23
    It does not. (Or has it been revised?)

http://cdn.ocp.org/shared/pdf/preview/30107837.pdf

Any problem? It fits the Easter Vigil list of Saints well.
  • BenBen
    So does the chanted version.
  • chonakchonak
    What's with the origin?

Not origin: Origen.

Origen of Alexandria (184-253 approx.) was one of the Church Fathers, probably the first great theologian after St. Paul. A wonderful teacher. But he was never declared a saint, because a few of his teachings were erroneous and the Church later rejected them (or rejected what certain heretics did with them).

But Becker put him into the old version of his Litany -- which was not proper. Church authority decides which deceased Christians are raised to the dignity of having their names invoked in the public liturgy.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yeah, poor Origen wasn't alone, I'm afraid. I've heard versions with St. MLKJr., St. Mohandes Ghandi, etc. ;-) Hope we're passed that.
  • AP23AP23
    I'm not quite understanding what you're saying about Origen. What exactly did Becker and Origen do?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Becker wrote a setting of the Litany of the Saints, and included the name of Origen in it, even though the 3rd Century scholar is not on the official list.

Origen, ever the rascal, allowed this go on for years.
  • AP23AP23
    Becker wrote a setting of the Litany of the Saints, and included the name of Origen in it, even though the 3rd Century scholar is not on the official list.

Are you saying Becker put Origen in the text of the Litany of Saints? Isn't is easy enough to just take it off yourself when you perform it? This version doesn't have it anyways: http://cdn.ocp.org/shared/pdf/preview/30107837.pdf

Origen, ever the rascal, allowed this go on for years.

Please explain what this means.
    P.S. Please see my other discussion that doesn't have any posts on it yet (and has been around for days): http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/8997/kevin-keil-good-friday-general-intercessions-rhythmic-verses#Item_1
  • CharlesW
    Yes, Becker put Origen in an earlier version of the litany. He had no authority to do so. I understand it has been removed from the revised edition.

Please remember to take Adam with a ton of salt, not a grain. LOL.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Ally
    AP23,
    1) Yes, that is what he is saying. Sure, you could take it out yourself, but why would he put it in there in the first place?
    2) Adam is just joking with that last line.
    (Adam, I always appreciate your humor)

(edit: I see Charles got there first. Thanks!)
  • Liam
    My on-the-ground solution to the Origen problem was to propose St Pontian - a pairing of Hippolytus and Pontian offers an example of saints who reconciled after a theological division...though obviously this is very obscure to most listeners, and another reason to stick to the normal text....
  • CharlesW
    I haven't seen any setting other than the chant. The setting you referenced may be under copyright, and you would have to buy it, if you can determine the publisher.
  • CharlesW
    St. Elga Bertha, pray for us
    St. Hubert Engglebert, pray for us
    St. Bufordina Mary, pray for us
    St. Edna Snotwiggle, pray for us.

All you holy men and women pray for us.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Liam
    Well, in Cambridge MA, our parish would add St Botolph (patron/patronymic of old Boston*) and St Etheldreda (patroness of old Cambridge) after saints of the Americas and St Patrick (patron of the archdiocese of Boston).....

* In an interesting double synchronicity, St Botolph's day is the same as Bunker Hill Day; and St Patrick's day is the same as Evacuation Day.
    Thanked by 2Gavin CharlesW
  • Revitalizing this thread as we are using the LoTS for the Entrance on All Saints day, at our principal Mass.

In regard to using the Litany as the procession on All Saints, would the Litany apply as it does to the First Sunday of Lent (Per Paul F. Ford earlier in this discussion), wherein the Kyrie in the Litany takes the place of the Kyrie at the beginning of Mass? Or does the fact that it happens during the procession, as well as outside of Lent negate this?

Or have I just completely misunderstood what I read?
    (Note, we ARE doing the LoTS for our Entrance on All Saints - I'm just looking for clarification as to whether or not the Litany changes anything at the beginning of Mass.)
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • My guess would be that, because KCK eleison is a standard feature of many litanies, and it is serving a different liturgical function, the penitential rite (which hasn’t even happened yet) would be unaffected. One way to get around this awkward repetition would be to use the sprinkling rite.

I’ll also note that no one would find it odd to do the litany during the offertory or communion, and sing the KCK eleison then, after having sung it at the beginning of mass.
  • a_f_hawkins
    The guidance is, surely, that if another liturgical function starts the Mass the Penitential Act is omitted. The first question is whether the LotS here is a liturgical function or just the Entrance chant. If it is the Entrance chant it would be overload to use form C of the Penitential Act, and the Kyrie would come in its natural place after the Collect, but note the following from the Catholic Encyclopedia (article by Fr A Fortescue)
    ... it may be noted that down to the late Middle Ages the Kyrie of the Mass was left out when it had just been sung in a Litany before Mass, as on Rogation days (e.g., Ordo Rom., XI, lxii)