Communion Chants ad libitum
  • ryandryand
    He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me: and I in him, saith the Lord.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen irishtenor Ben
  • BenBen
    Where is this melody from? Is it the graduale simplex or another source?
  • ryandryand
    PBC
  • BenBen
    Ah. That would be originally from the Graduale Romanum, if memory serves.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    It's the Communio for Corpus Christi in the OF
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • ryandryand
    O taste and see that the Lord is sweet: blessed is the man that hopeth in him.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ryandryand
    I am the vine, and you the branches; he that abideth in me, and I in him, the
    same beareth much fruit.

(Not suitable for Lent)
  • ryandryand
    This is my body, which shall be delivered for you: this chalice is the new testament
    in my blood: do this, as often as you shall drink, in commemoration of
    me.
  • ryandryand
    I checked out the NOH version of this after completing my own. Interesting to compare them. I am aware that there are versions of all of these in the NOH, but have intentionally not looked them over so as to not prejudice my ear and creating something derivative of those volumes (which I really like, so I'd probably just copy what they did if I heard it first!).

The different rhythmic placing on "novi" is my observance of an ictus in the PBC score.
    The added note in the NOH version on "quo" is from ??? - its not in the neumes I was looking at.

Most interesting: generally the same harmonic functions. The main differences lie in the inversions, or a Gm in one where there is an Eb in the other. Stuff like that. At a few points (see the last measure for a perfect example) they move nearly identically except for the bass note being a 3rd off the whole time. And, again, this was written without observing the NOH score first.