Ordo Missae in Cantu
  • Jamie
    Hi

Is the Ordo Missae in Cantu, published by Solesmes, the FULL 2002 Roman Missal with all the Collects, rubrics and prayers, or is it only the Ordinary of Mass and its prefaces?

Thanks
  • Paul F. Ford
    The latter.
  • Jamie
    Okay, but therefore; what happens for the Priest at the altar? Are the Super Oblata prayers included or does this mean that after the Prayer over the offerings, that the Priest has to switch books at the altar? (i.e. from a normal Latin Missal to the Ordo Missae in Cantu)

Thus, I would ask:
    Does the Vatican Missale Romanum Editio Typica Tertia have the Notation for the Prefaces and the Solemn Tone Canon? Do any Latin Missals have the Notation and the entire Roman Missal with them?
  • SalieriSalieri
    Any Missal I have seen, whether Latin or Vernacular, EF or OF, has only the notation given for the Dialogues (in the Ordo Missae section of the Missale itself) and the Prefaces (Ferial tone, Solemn tone, and (in the EF) More Solemn tone).

None of the orations (Collect, Secret/Super Oblata, Post Communion) or Lessons, are printed with music - though there are sometimes (at least in OF Missals, and also in the old Liber Usualis) an appendix containing the tones of the chanting of the Prayers, Readings, etc. with samples. OF Missals also include the tones for the chanting of the entire Eucharistic Prayer, after the text of the Prayers over the People.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Where did they get the tones for the Eucharistic Prayers? Were they found in manuscripts, or just newly created but based on orations, etc.? Thanks.
  • Protasius
    As far as I can tell, they simply took the Tonus antiquus ad libitum and applied it to the whole Eucharistic Prayer. I also heard of others who used Preface tones for the Eucharistic prayer.