Isaac Jogues Hymnal Project / Missal, Lectionary, Gradual
  • It is very unfortunate that Jeff O left these pages.
  • francis
    Why did he leave?
  • He didn't leave a note. just cookie crumbs to CCW so that we can find the way.
  • francis
    Perhaps was too time consuming to be here, and didn't create any sales.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • DanielCDanielC
    But Adam Bartlett's Lumen Christi Missal, which is a pew resource, prints both the Gradual and Roman Missal proper texts. That book was published in 2012. So how can that claim be accurate?

The Lumen Christi Missal does not include any graduals, tracts, or greater alleluia chants, which are a very important part of the Church's liturgy! So I think that this new Hymnal's claim is quite accurate.
  • Noel,

Your comments on the previous page posted at 10:49 a.m. about GIA and the copyright of the hymn “Touch the Earth Lightly” seem to be based on incomplete information. Before responding to your specific comments, it is helpful to realize the following about the hymn:

1. The text is copyright by Hope Publishing Company.
    2. The text is used in Worship IV with a tune that is also copyright by Hope Publishing Company.
    3. The text is used in the Gather hymnal with a new tune by Tony Alonso. That tune, harmonization, and instrumental parts are copyright by GIA.

Now to your specific comments:
    GIA has failed to list the original copyright holder's information. While this by itself could be considered an original composition, the fact that it is based upon the harmonies and melody combined that appear to be copyright by another firm would indicate that this is a violation of copyright and the original owner would need to grant permission.
    I presume that your remarks refer to the link posted at 8:24 a.m. by Bob_Nardo. That link was to an original instrumental part for Tony Alonso’s new tune. That entire page is copyright by GIA Publications. Nothing on this page is copyright by Hope. So, your conclusions that GIA failed to provide proper copyright attribution are mistaken.
    So, it is clear that on a basic copyright search, CCW could easily have identified the copyright holder as GIA due to GIA's failure to provide attribution to another publisher and instead claiming copyright.
    Again, you are mistaken in asserting that GIA failed to provide attribution to another publisher. The example in CCW’s video is taken from the pew book of Worship IV, and the copyright notice at the bottom of the hymnal's page states that the hymn is copyright by Hope Publishing Company.
    It's forgivable for a small, independent publishing house without a legal office to search copyrights to err when the erroneous information comes from major publishers who claim copyright as GIA did here.
    There was no erroneous information from GIA.
    GIA was responsible to list the copyright owner of the melody for this derivative work. They dropped the copyright ball, not CCW.
    As proven in my above comments, GIA attributed to Hope Publishing Company that what is theirs, and did not drop the copyright ball.
  • Father, it is obvious that you are the expert and I know nothing. I'm pleased that you have been able to expose my total incompetence in front of this entire group.

I was totally mislead by the guy who took it upon himself to write this in what appeared to be a poor attempt to discredit the hard work of Jeff O and family.

One of the hymns shown in the video during this narration is "Touch the Earth Lightly," a very fine hymn about our responsibility to use God's gift of creation wisely. The graphic states that the hymn is copyright by GIA Publications. It is not. Both the text and tune are copyright by Hope Publishing Company.

It is greatly appreciated and I await yet another shining moment in which you might display your knowledge.

I personally do not own a Gather hymnal, would burn one if given to me and think that that fact stands in my favor when all is said and done. I am pleased to have taken the pressure of Jeff O and become your focus instead. Jeff and his family have done tremendous work for the church and deserve much more than being criticized by a...priest.
  • Kathy
    I'm sure it's not only fair but virtuous of Fr Chepponis to clarify these points. And since the suggestion of illegality was made publicly, public redress is perfectly appropriate.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    But Adam Bartlett's Lumen Christi Missal, which is a pew resource, prints both the Gradual and Roman Missal proper texts. That book was published in 2012. So how can that claim be accurate?

The Lumen Christi Missal does not include any graduals, tracts, or greater alleluia chants, which are a very important part of the Church's liturgy! So I think that this new Hymnal's claim is quite accurate.

These will be available, I understand, in the Lumen Christi Gradual.
    They are not, strictly speaking, congregational in nature.
  • CharlesW
    I do have a Gather hymnal since I used it at my school before I retired. I keep it on the shelf as a reminder. It's kind of like the degenerate dissolute relative my parents used to point to and threaten I would grow up to be like if I didn't straighten up. LOL.
  • Kathy,

Exactly what I expected you to say! Of course, the mud flinging in the first post which started all of this should be totally ignored. Criticizing a project publicly is virtuous to a T, rather than sending a private note to Jeff O mentioning a possible problem.
  • CharlesW
    Dang! Now I have to go back and re-read the first post. How quickly I forget.
  • doneill
    "The Lumen Christi Missal does not include any graduals, tracts, or greater alleluia chants, which are a very important part of the Church's liturgy! So I think that this new Hymnal's claim is quite accurate."

Point taken, and the video does say "entire Roman gradual," so it is accurate after all. Touche.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    So, this new book pretty much has the content of the "old" Vatican II Hymnal, but updated with the production value and the aesthetic sensibilities of the Campion Missal/Hymnal (Jeff's EF work), right? Sounds good to me!
  • Kathy
    sending a private note to Jeff O mentioning a possible problem.

This would have been the best solution, Noel, I agree.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • CharlesW
    I don't do the EF mass, so that's outside of my Sunday experiences. Not long ago, I went to the choir room and the lady who directs the Latin mass schola had pages of music on the desk - convenience copies I am sure and within copyright exceptions - making changes to the scores. She indicated the Campion settings were not standard and she was essentially re-writing them for her group. That schola is only 4 people so that was not any great task. I didn't have time to ask but I wasn't sure if she was saying the harmonies are not standard or was referring to something else.

Granted, I do not use the Campion although I have to admit the cover is attractive. However, I would have to closely examine a copy of this new hymnal to see if it falls within the experiences and expectations of my choir and congregation. I wouldn't buy 500 hymnals then have to do rewriting or make congregation handouts to go with it. My expectation is that everything I need should be in the hymnal. I am looking forward to purchasing a copy and examining it.

So, this new book pretty much has the content of the "old" Vatican II Hymnal

I hope there is more content than in the Vatican II hymnal. The number of hymns is limited and too many of them are unfamiliar. I have heard a LOT of hymns, so If I don't recognize many of them, my congregation will recognize even fewer. But I am the one who has said all along we should all just use the Hymnal 1940. It is still one the best hymnals of all time.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Hyperbole aside(there seems to be a lot these days in the world of Catholic pew book resources), I will be interested in this book. But I am also interested in other treasures in the marketplace. This is such a paradigm shift from the days of only GIA, OCP and WLP. We have come a long way from the days of the big 3 and I,for one, am glad.
  • G
    Sorry to re-open an old thread, but i can't find this answer anywhere - does anyone know the weight and dimensions of this hymnal missal?
    TIA
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    (edited)
  • dboothe
    Saint Isaac Jogues Missal:

6.25" Wide
    9.25" Tall
    1.5" Thick

Weight is heavier than an average hymnal.

dB
    Thanked by 1G
  • G
    Thanks, sorry, meant "Missal, " will correct.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Book 2 • St. Isaac Jogues Parish Hymnal … coming in 2016
  • Bob_Nardo
    FWIW, I am sitting here with both my Isaac Jogues Missal (from CCW) and my Lumen Christi Missal (Illuminare / Bartlett). They are virtually identical in size and weight. Jogues is more attractive on the inside (photos, etc), but just one Mass setting, while Lumen Christi is more "plain" but has like 17 Mass settings plus proper antiphons for the year.

Relatedly, I also recently got the Lumen Christi Hymnal. I *LOVE* it. Solid foundation of hymns for the whole year - an ample number, and nothing offensive - plus much of the divine office set to traditional chant / hymn tunes (in fact, his book has inspired me to finally started praying/singing these in private devotion).

I'm sure the Jogues hymnal will be wonderful in its own way ;-)

All in all, I'm pushing to get both the Lumen Christi editions for our congregation (we already use the Simple Gradual for our choir very often)... someday.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Lumen Christi is more "plain"

More like the official music books of the Roman Rite.

Jogues... just one Mass setting

Yeah. This is a total non-starter for me.