Tuning Byrd "Ave Verum Corpus", first two phrases
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Well, this maybe a monkey wrench observation, but it is totally (if you know the genre and the vocal physicality of the person I'm going to cite) on point about timbre; and perhaps as it is totally out of our genre, it even means more.
    I'm talking about the most incredibly talented a capella pop/jazz group I've ever encountered live, Pentatonix. And as we've now mentioned the timbre of two of Chanticleers incredible basses, I add to the timbre perfection of their bass, Avi Kaplan. It doesn't matter a hoot whether the medium is alterned by natural acoustics or by electronic means, a timbre is a timbre. And when it is paired with exquisite intonation, superb musicianship and heart, it still is as close to perfection in sound that we can recognize in this dimension.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I understand Avi is also capable of overtone singing.
  • Liam
    Pentatonix rox.
  • Liam
    Speaking of overtone singing, one of the neat hat-tricks of certain wind players is multiphonics - I learned this as a horn player (you had to, in order to play Weber's Concertino...)
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    I think of multiphonics as 'Musique concrète' --- you must accept what the instrument produces, not much choice of inflection. But interesting sounds. One of the highlights of my rather limited flute career was a performance of George Crumb's "Vox Balanae" (voice of the whale). The flutist must sing-hum and play the flute at the same time. I later played the same piece in concert as pianist: a very different experience. I wanted to play it as 'cellist, too, but never got anywhere near good enough at 'cello.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Update: the complete recording and score are now posted at link above. A very interesting piece of music. My version has a limited dynamic and emotional range, may try to improve that aspect over the next little while.