Concise article about the diversity of Rites of the Catholic Church
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Columnist Billy Kangas at Patheos has a very well-constructed article, with a very comprehensible organizational chart, on the beauty and diversity of catholic rites.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/billykangas/2014/03/the-beautiful-diversity-of-catholic-liturgy.html
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Thanks for this reminder of the numerous alternatives to the average church with unfortunate music and Ed Sullivan show liturgical praxis.

It is interesting that in the Zairean missal the penitential rite follows the creed. It does, also, in the Anglican Use. I had hoped that it would be put back at the beginning, where it 'belongs', but our scholars and Rome decided that it should remain between the pro- and the anaphora where it has been in the BCP since Henrician (oops, I mean, henrician) times. Interesting, also, that to the Zaireans dancing is reverential. It certainly isn't in Our culture! Hence, it makes sense for Africans, but not for us! And, why do those assisting at Zairean mass carry spears?
  • CharlesW
    I could use a spear some Sundays! ;-)
  • ronkrisman
    @MJO, certainly "Our culture" is not completely bereft of at least a few persons who experience some forms of dance as reverential.
  • Could you, Fr Krisman, enlighten me as to any in our western culture to whom dance is reverential? (I am confessing my genuine ignorance of any such.) I have been the unfortunate witness on about two occasions in my life in which so-called 'liturgical dance' was performed at Anglican eucharists. I experienced it, though 'nicely' and 'tastefully' done, as foreign, eccentric, distracting, liturgically and sprititually disruptive, 'put on', and Very Hollywoodish. Ditto, at a Catholic mass, the lady in very flowing costume in pastel colours who carried on high a large bowl of incense from which issued great billows of smoke, and who, twirling around with great and exagerated ceremony, laid it before the altar. An actual thurible was nowhere to be seen. It was the fakey sort of 'ceremony' which Hollywood might have invented for some exotic religious rite.

And, another question: technically, does the Zairean missal represent a Use, or a Rite? It seems so distinct that it should be cosidered the latter.
  • francis
    ronkrisman 2:01PM Thanks
    @MJO, certainly "Our culture" is not completely bereft of at least a few persons who experience some forms of dance as reverential.

Wow... I have experienced liturgical dance numerous times. I have yet to see (or imagine) how it was or could ever be reverential since it seems to be nothing but a sacrilegious innovation to the Catholic Mass, quite disruptive and dishonoring to The Holy Sacrifice.
  • ronkrisman
    While, personally, I have experienced some Western ballet as "reverential," I think it is the wrong form of choreographed movement to serve the liturgy. Ballet is not communally participatory, and any liturgical dance which eventually may emerge needs to be communal, and flowing from the liturgical action, not something artificially imposed upon it.

I had an experience of something which may have approached my idea of a communal "liturgical dance" some time ago - at the 1967 study week of the Southwest Liturgical Conference in Pueblo, CO. After receiving holy communion, communicants joined hands and did a simple procession, led by a crucifer, around the altar and through the worship space until all the communicants had received and were joined in the movement (and song). When the music and movement stopped, everyone continued in prayer, with hands joined, for some period of time. I was the crucifer; Ade Bethune had designed the procession.

I suppose it could be described as a "ring dance" of sorts. It did not come across as being hokey or anything like a Cotton Eye Joe dance. It was not balletic, but simply a slow movement, a communion in and with the Body of Christ. It was very prayerful.

There were no dance "soloists," no leotards, and no fish kites.
  • Yes, Father, there is reverence (as a thematic and plot-specific element) in some ballet. You are so right! But, then (and, of course, neither did you suggest that it Was), ballet is not liturgy. I will bow to your described experience as genuine and genuinely felt; perhaps the communal outpouring of a group of Westerners laying aside their cultural norms at a specific moment in time. I can't imagine, though, that, had I been present, I would have joined in. It would have been as uncomfortable for me as it would be for Zaireans to maintain the composure normal to Westerners. And, that, of course, is another issue, isn't it? Namely that there are always Those Self-Appointed & Vexatious People who are always wanting to jog others out of their so-called 'comfort zones'. They always equate this with getting closer to God and being more 'open' and 'loving'. As for me, these people evoke less openness, less lovingness, and joining in their concocted happening does not, in fact, make one any closer to God.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW hilluminar
  • ronkrisman
    Yes, one is apt to encounter "Those... People," especially if one if looking for them.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • I'm never looking for them. They appear out of the wood work as if divinely ordained to impose their cute antics upon what one would have thought were sensible people. Fortunately, I encounter them only rarely and quite unexpectedly - and not for long.

A related thought: do these clowns exist in other cultures, for instance, trying to make Zaireans adopt Western behaviourisms at liturgy whilst being told that it would make them more loving and closer to God? Probably not! And, if it happened, I have no doubt that our esteemed Zaireans would find it rather funny, downright silly if not offensive to act like someone other than themselves. They probably have greater respect both for themselves and us than to engage in such cultural mimicry at mass. BYMWD
    Thanked by 1G
  • melofluentmelofluent
    MJO and CDub, what about the main thrust of Mr. Kanga's splendid article/paean regarding the panopoly of rites hosted by the One, Holy, Apostolic and Catholic Church? How'd it digress into diatribes regarding "dancing per se" at Mass?
    Like the old man at the Vegas said at the close of the NPM regional, "I love this place (a parish church), the show is free and it changes every week, and I'm not even Catholic!"
    We aren't hanging out in Vegas or LA, for that matter.
  • I suppose you are right: '...for all we like sheep have gone astray'.
    The moral, I guess, is that
    liturgical dancing is objectively and substantially irrelevant to
    any of the family of rites and uses above the equator.
    The pertinence of liturgical dance rather sneaked in
    because a dance-featuring rite south of the equator was mentioned by Mr Kanga
    in his comprehensive list of Catholic rites and uses.
    So: perhaps we were not too far astray.
  • CharlesW
    Semi-astray and nearly relevant. You were expecting perfection o mellow one? LOL.

I think a point to be made is that it isn't Jackson's culture or mine either, where dancing has a place in the liturgy. In our places, dancing, pop style music, and charismatic behaviors would be no more than entertaining novelties. They wouldn't have much religious or spiritual significance. Somewhere else, things could be completely different.

A former DOM loved African-American spirituals although the congregation detested them. She lingered after retiring as too many are wont to do. She would ask why I never programmed those spirituals. I would point to my very pink skin and say that I had no link to that music physically or liturgically. It doesn't mean much in my context. Too many musicians, I think, seek novelty and innovation instead of promoting the tried, true, and significant.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I was once approached after a Lifeteen-ish Mass I attended as a visitor, and told that if I had just raised my hands up and swayed back and forth (LIKE EVERYONE ELSE) at whatever praise song or other then I would have had a much more worshipful experience.

White people are constantly imposing culture on other people. After a few centuries of attempting to impose European style spiritual practices on everyone, that has generally died down in the late 20th Century. Unfortunately, out of some weird sense of guilt and restitution, white people are now making up for it by imposing other people's culture onto their own.

The drive to exert control and influence is, I fear, fundamental to our fallen nature. And I suspect that if the people of any other continent or cultural framework had risen to global military and economic power, the story would have been largely the same, with only minor accidental changes.

As for reverent dancing within a white-American traditionally Catholic liturgical framework:

I do actually tend to sway back and forth in time to the music (or, simply freely in the case of chant), and this is exaggerated if I happen to be holding a small child.
    (I DO NOT raise my hands up, however - and I don't do either when the music is crappy loud yelling about THE PEACE OF JESUS LOVE)

I know several other people who do this. If you happened to be in celebration where most of the people had that tendency, you would think we were dancing as part of the liturgy.

But it would be ridiculous to go try to get people to become the sort of people who do that sort of thing.

"If you would just SWAY BACK AND FORTH you'd feel so much closer to Jesus. You'd really be ACTIVELY PARTICIPATING in the Liturgy!"

Hogwash.

We bring ourselves. We are not asked, and should not be asked, to bring ourselves-in-character.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW hilluminar
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "Puritanism" and "fundamentalism" are mere concepts which can inform or disinform our human rituals. "Racism" is also a concept as well, and informs and disinforms our actions throughout life. However we more often than not use those concepts here as tools to build up or tear down, mostly the latter. That makes the tool a weapon, like the knife that Peter was rebuked for using, or Longinus' spear. Not good.
    I am always amazed at how Little Joe Adam W sums up dynamics so basic and worthy, such as his post above. That conceptual sort of thinking is called "common sense." And I'll invite everyone to consider that things "common" including our senses do not denigrate the liturgy, but rather they buttress it. We bring ourselves indeed.
    If the sun shines upon us all equally, and there is no Jew/Greek/Man/Woman/Slave/Citizen, then opting not to sing a beautiful spiritual from the African American tradition because of the hue of one's own skin is not only contradictory to the premises of being "in Christ," but also ridiculous hogwash as well. Should we therefore ban using "white spirituals" as found in the Southern Harmony and shape note traditions of the gulf coast flatlands and Ozark Mountains, even tho' our skin color matches that anthropological demographic?
    Having said that, I still and yet have enough common sense not to lobby for either of those to be imposed upon anyone for "in character" reasons at a colloquium; when in Rome etc.
    But pontifical rhetoric announced here and most other lit/musica forums reflect an arrogance that often works only for the benefit of one sole creature. You won't have a devil of a time figuring out who that individual is.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    A former DOM loved African-American spirituals although the congregation detested them. She lingered after retiring as too many are wont to do. She would ask why I never programmed those spirituals. I would point to my very pink skin and say that I had no link to that music physically or liturgically. It doesn't mean much in my context. Too many musicians, I think, seek novelty and innovation instead of promoting the tried, true, and significant.

At a former parish, there was a "gospel choir" that I was in charge of directing. They fancied themselves as very tolerant, hospitable, open to all cultures and welcoming towards those with a darker skin color who might walk through the doors (although the congregation was probably around 97 - 98% white).

In reality, every last one of them was over 65, whiter than me in skin color and culture, and, in my opinion, perhaps even a bit racist in their assumption that those with darker skin color must surely prefer this loud music done badly with the help of a tambourine over the music of J.S. Bach.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    PGA, your point being?
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    If the sun shines upon us all equally, and there is no Jew/Greek/Man/Woman/Slave/Citizen, then opting not to sing a beautiful spiritual from the African American tradition because of the hue of one's own skin is not only contradictory to the premises of being "in Christ," but also ridiculous hogwash as well. Should we therefore ban using "white spirituals" as found in the Southern Harmony and shape note traditions of the gulf coast flatlands and Ozark Mountains, even tho' our skin color matches that anthropological demographic?

The Church has been down this road time and time again. That is why a 'natural grass roots' liturgy sprung up from the Church and developed organically over hundreds of years and is the amalgam of ALL cultures. It includes ALL ethnic backgrounds, skin colors and demographics.
  • To Melo and others above -
    I must agree, contingent upon one's motivation and genuineness (sp?) of spirit as well as intellectual and cultural honesty.
    If some of us are genuinely moved and appreciative of Negro Spirituals and other expressions of other cultures, there is nothing inherently inauthentic in our usage of such in our worship. ('No man is an island', nor is any culture.) The problem lies in the all-too-often encountered conscious or unconscious attitude these days that we have to jettison most anything that smacks of or is reminiscent of our nasty bad old Euro-centric culture in favour of almost anything from any source that is other than that of our very own patrimony, with which there is nothing wrong and for which we needn't be ashamed or apologetic. Other cultures are not grasping to sing Howells, Tallis and Palestrina out of a sense of cultural guilt spurred on by their chic intellectuals who hound them over the Afro-centricity of their liturgy. The Zaireans are not concerned that their mass has a radically different, an African, aesthetic than that of the Anglican Ordinariate or a high Benedictine monastic house, nor should they be. But, many of our people are concerned that we don't dance and clap as do the Zaireans, though they shouldn't be. Motive is the issue. Are people doing things from other cultures because they are truly meaningful spiritually to them and adapt reasonably well to our own culture, or are they doing these things as a form of Euro-culture suicide, rejecting one's own roots. Deeper than that is that many people, both ordinary ones and chic liturgists really have rejected or are ignorant of our own rich and wondrous Graeco-Romano-Euro heritage and are infected with the notion that there is something fundamentally wrong with it. There is, in fact, something fundamentally wrong with such people. They seem, ridiculously, to be convinced that only almost anything from almost any patrimony but ours has cultural validity. This is absurd. It is as absurd as the commonly asserted nonsense that the only cultural validity lies within a five mile radius of any given parish.

Further, can anyone explain why this is a problem only in the Roman Rite? It doesn't exist in the oriental rites, the Anglican Use, or amongst those who follow the Zairean missal. Cultural suicide exists only amongst Roman rite people of European heritage. Why?
    My point was to agree with Charles.
  • CharlesW
    Cultural suicide exists only amongst Roman rite people of European heritage. Why?

Because we are afflicted with angst-filled, guilt-ridden individuals who feel a need to apologize for the past. It's ridiculous. My ancestors, who may or may not have done reprehensible deeds, are dead. I am in no way liable for their actions. Neither do I feel guilty because they operated as they did within a specific time, culture, and context.

There was a black lady in my choir for years - she passed away last November and I still feel the loss personally and musically - who commented that there is nothing more pitiful than a bunch of old white people trying to sing spirituals. She would have been the first to uphold traditional Roman Rite liturgy and music. Yes, some of it originated in Europe, although I have heard that chant came from Jewish temple music. I don't feel any need to imitate someone else's culture for it can never be, for me, more than an affectation. As the dictionary says, "Affectation: behavior, speech, or writing that is artificial and designed to impress." Add music to that definition.

• melofluentmelofluent
    You all have reiterated quite reasonably the impetus towards restoration of a native Latin/Roman cultural ethos for the HRCC, one to which I subscribe personally. However, your arguments are attended by presumptions that are not prima facie correct. I, too, have never suffered from "white man's burden." OTOH, my cultural experiences combined with those of my education enable me to examine, absorb and recreate fine musical works of art from a spectrum of traditions. This whole canard about cultural primacy was just keelhauled a couple of weeks ago in response to Dr. K's essay. What struck my fancy about the remarks of one poster at CCW is that he could tell I was of Franco-Germanic White ancestry (off by the difference of the British channel and the highlands north) whose self-loathing made me incapable of distinguishing the superiority of the Mozart Requiem over, say, the Indian Raga school/tradition. What the KIA poster didn't realize is that I had not just three years ago produced and conducted the Mozart with full orchestra and 100+ voices to an overflowing house. Uh, don't judge a book by its cover, that's being judgmental which is not equal to rendering judgment.
    In case I've lost any of you by my remarks thus far, I'll use another illustration that accounts for my broader cultural perspectives. As a schooled choral director in the USofA, one soon realizes that Americans are expected, pro forma, to be immersed in as many choral traditions as possible because Americans, essentially, do not have a singular tradition of its own. That's reality. Oddly enough, if you've ever traveled with a chorus in Europe or Asia, what choral tradition from America is most demanded by nationalities and ethnicities: the American spiritual! Oddly enought, two of the finest interpretational ensembles of this genre are St. Olaf's and Brigham Young U., go figure huh?
    I digress. When I read through any new work that crosses my desk, I make it a point to deeply examine the union of text to setting for an aesthetic authenticity that is self-evident beyond its stylistic or traditional origins. For example, if I'm looking at a Magnificat, should I be more concerned with its relationship to the chants than the text and subtexts of the hymn? Because the BVM was a post-pubescent teenaged Jewess (I didn't even think of this till this moment on Annuciation Day!) should I be more concerned with a setting that reflects the Aramaic origins and textual references within the hymn "He has brought low the mighty from their thrones and uplifted the poor and lowly" than the sheer weight and magnificence (pardon pun) of the Russian Bogoraditze version? Does a pristine setting in Latin by an English composer of any era demand that we affect our diction and tone because of the school of singing tradition prevelant there? Enough of that. Perspective without prejudice will inform me that "Hey, this 'Magnificat' by the late American black composer Leon Roberts, 'MARY'S CANTICLE," expresses an ethos of fiat, liberation, freedom despite oppression, Godliness and other factors in addition to being obviously sacred and beautiful, if not universal to some minds.
    I'm again going to emphasize that I'm not endorsing the multicultural mindset for liturgical use, especially in CMAA environs. But I wholehandedly reject the premises of race/ethnicity as determinants of a music's worth and value. If I've said it once, I've said it thousands of times: judge the music, not the person. And, for God's sake, don't judge the intent of another fellow with half-baked stereotypes of bygone eras. We've enough division in real life globally to blatantly expose our prejudices here.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    In theory, I agree with meloCharles, about the ability for any one of any cultural or ethnic heritage to perform the music of any other culture or heritage.

And it's also true that, for (for example) most contemporary white people in America, many styles of (for example) "black" music are more familiar than European music, especially older ones that have gone out of popular fashion.

That, however, does not excuse the all-too-familiar and embarrassing experience most of us have had at one point or another, witnessing some amateur choir of old white people doing some horrendous attempt at "multiculturalism."

This isn't because white people can't sing black music. It's because those particular people can't sing that particular music.

It also happens with Catholics singing mega-church praise-band music, with old mainline protestants trying to sing "youth music", and with (one time only) my Episcopalian choir trying to sing something from the Glory and Praise hymnal (I won't say what it was, but I was immediately converted away from my previous opinions about genre appropriateness).
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • dad29
    This isn't because white people can't sing black music. It's because those particular people can't sing that particular music.

Yes. Besides St Olaf and the MTC's abilities (see above), both the Wagner Chorale and the Shaw Chorale could render that stuff very well, indeed.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    As Fr Krisman suggests, there are plenty who take our Tanztheater as a sacrament (maybe he prefers Nijinsky himself). Even outside of temples of art and still on the Western side of the equator (some of the discussion above is a bit hard to follow) sacred dance is hardly unknown. The Shakers are the first that come to mind, but even if you take pains never to take a step on the ictus of a Gregorian introit, you're still moving to the accompaniment of music.

I've been privileged to attend a monthly West African Mass at which the choir performs often elaborate choreography. At the Sanctus they process into the vestry, becoming the disembodied 'voice of Oz' from the 'wings', a very powerful effect as well.

I first really listened to Gregorian chant visiting the California State Capitol, where Gov. Brown had just replaced the muzak with a variety of classical music. Adam Wood I think is correct in saying most anglos have a closer cultural connection to spirituals than to chant, and if we're honest we're probably closer genetically to slave descendants than to Notker as well. I would certainly never dream of pointing to my pink parts to justify a preference for Mozart!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    What my learned, and erudite Richmond fellow said +1 (I don't have a thank you option on my tablet.) Whether or not each of us actually (as he and many of us are able to effect) or aspirationally are trying with all our might and influence to raise the Barque aright and tight, we ought not to afford ourselves the vanity of prescribing idyllic solutions to local needs from afar. Why is that so difficult to accept?
  • CharlesW
    becoming the disembodied 'voice of Oz' from the 'wings', a very powerful effect as well.

Are we after effects in the Liturgy? I know musicians get bored easily, but Mass is not a stage for performance, although I certainly know many who think it is.

I am glad the West Africans enjoyed their mass. I wouldn't, and couldn't relate to it at all. My pink parts are not part of that culture. I am also not a Shaker. I can listen to their music for entertainment, but not for liturgy. It is out of place. My people sang Byzantine chant when oppressed. They still do.
  • chonakchonak
    The Shakers, while perhaps including some fine people, were far from orthodox Christians. They didn't hold the doctrine of the Holy Trinity. So one shouldn't think of their religious dancing as though it had the significance of being something done by Christians.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    CDub- As recently explicated by an astute priest online, does not the process by which a bishop proceeds through the nave into the sanctuary adorned in a cappa magna, and then systematically (ritually, symbolicly) removes layers to become the sacrificial Christ elicit a "very powerful effect." I have difficulty with our resident Byzantine not corresponding ritual to effect, whether emotional or otherwise.
    Richard- just to clarify, you're talking dogma, Maestro Mix was talking ritual expression. As Mr. Mix could have suggested, one could look to the Sufi's for "evidence" of their dirvishes as necessary to their "lex orandi." There's no direct correspondence to the RCC, nor need there be assumed from observations.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • CharlesW
    Ritual to effect is fine - in context. When the ritual doesn't fit the context, then there is a problem.
  • francis
    I am convinced that the crisis in the Church that we are experiencing today is to a large extent due to the disintegration of the liturgy, which at times has even come to be conceived of etsi Deus non daretur: in that it is a matter of indifference whether or not God exists and whether or not He speaks to us and hears us. But when the community of faith, the world-wide unity of the Church and her history, and the mystery of the living Christ are no longer visible in the liturgy, where else, then, is the Church to become visible in her spiritual essence? Then the community is celebrating only itself, an activity that is utterly fruitless. And, because the ecclesial community cannot have its origin from itself but emerges as a unity only from the Lord, through faith, such circumstances will inexorably result in a disintegration into sectarian parties of all kinds - partisan opposition within a Church tearing herself apart.

B16 bomber
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood melofluent
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I am convinced that the crisis in the Church that we are experiencing today is to a large extent due to the disintegration of the liturgy,

yup
    Thanked by 1Gerald_Klaas
  • dad29
    I know musicians get bored easily, but Mass is not a stage for performance, although I certainly know many who think it is.

Worse--musicians tend to think that all liturgical problems can be resolved with "Mo' MUSIC!!".

We're now observing at close range a parish musician whose background includes work as a concert organist. While he's very good at being a 'concert' organist, he does not seem to understand that that particular profession is different in kind from being a 'church' organist. For openers, a 'church' organist is cognizant of 1) the sense of the sacred and 2) the value of occasional silence during the liturgy.

Further, it appears that his prior church experience, largely obtained in Europe, did not include the Lenten 'minimal organ' request of Musicam Sacram.

Or maybe in his homeland the Church did not observe Lent.
    I've been trying to say this about concert organists. I DO think that organists should pursue conservatory level training and get as good as they can be - but I question the job search committees that hire music directors due to their brilliant resumes: 2nd place in this international organ competition, concerts in Europe, 1st place in this competition ... To me those type of facts make a candidate more interesting and are almost akin to hobby activities; they don't have much to do with the job itself.

I only wish that those hiring could see that.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW francis
  • CharlesW
    I found early on in my studies, that playing for mass is not the same as giving recitals. Then I found accompanying is not the same as playing. And then I found that directing and playing from the console is difficult if you allow yourself to think about it. If you just do it you don't have time to worry about the difficulty. Then there are diva sopranos - haven't found a solution for that one - LOL.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • The liturgy and a recital are two distinct happenings, two distinct aesthetics.
    This is not to suggest that the role-specific music played at mass should not be of recital quality. Of course, all of our organists are not equally trained and talented. But, I must disagree with the under-tow of notion here that 'recital quality' excellence is out of place in the performance of liturgical organ music in the service of the liturgy. The liturgical organist should be (or should strive to be) the musical equal of a recitalist, with the added dimension of a deep spiritual understanding of the liturgical drama, the ineffable God-People intercouse of the mass. I have heard from time to time organists who shouldn't be playing for mass but are excuse their inability with the rejoinder, 'well, I'm a church organist, not a concert organist', as though excellence was out of place in service of the Church at worship. Your preludes, postludes, voluntaries, hymn accompaniments, anthem and ordinary accompaniments, improvisations, & cet., should all betray their sacred function and emotion, their partisanship in the sacred event; but, also, should be of impeccable musicianship and performance. Because the mass is the mass and a recital just that is no excuse whatever for a difference in musicianship at either. For there to be a difference in someone's mind is an insult to God. (Come to think of it: IF there is a difference, the bar should be higher for liturgy than it is for a recital-concert.)
    No, it's not all the same. Recital type work is a very small piece of the job; you will play preludes and postludes and maybe voluntaries at the Preparation of the Gifts. But why would you hire someone based on their ability to do THAT very well, while ignoring every other facet of the job? Why should you hire someone who excels at 10% of the job but is unknown in every other?

Such candidates should not be EXCLUDED either; but I'd view it almost the same way that I'd view someone with advanced training and publications in theology: "Ok, that's awesome and is related to the job, because knowing theology and even communicating it is part of the job - but what about every other task that makes up 85% of this job?"
    No, MJO, I'm definitely not one of those that doesn't think highly trained and qualified people should be playing at mass. And it's a cop out to excuse poor quality by saying "I'm not a concert organist." It's just that on the flip side, being a concert organist doesn't say much in itself.

In the end, if you play a 25 minute long masterwork beautifully and from memory, that just still doesn't tell us much about your ability to accompany, select appropriate music, deal with people, direct a choir while achieving good choral sound, and the other 30 skills that I'm forgetting here that a parish or cathedral music director needs to have.
  • PGA -
    Your concerns are, of course, correct. And, I don't think that anyone would disagree with them. I would only propose that, first of all, no one should apply who is not first and foremost an outstanding musician who can 'perform', with that poetic artistry and spiritual sensitivity which distinguish the church musician, his or her music at that sublime event, the mass. Added to this are the other concerns which you have. And, supposing one has two candidates of equal musicianship, one chooses the one who better displays the other requirements. But, the first and last requirements are excellence in sacred music performance and teaching. Why belabour this? Because all too often, a parish committee and/or pastor will 'just be looking for someone to play the organ'. They may or may not be aware of something called musical excellence, but (not to their credit) they are not really that much interested in it because they 'just want someone to play the organ and direct the choir', someone they 'like', and who is a good 'people person'. This is why we have too many (often highly paid) people filling musical roles in our churches who really should not be where they are.

• G
    The liturgy and a recital are two distinct happenings, two distinct aesthetics.
    This is not to suggest that the role-specific music played at mass should not be of recital quality. Of course, all of our organists are not equally trained and talented. But, I must disagree with the under-tow of notion here that 'recital quality' excellence is out of place in the performance of liturgical organ music in the service of the liturgy. The liturgical organist should be (or should strive to be) the musical equal of a recitalist, with the added dimension of a deep spiritual understanding of the liturgical drama, the ineffable God-People intercouse of the mass.

I don't know if this applies to organists, but with singers I found in one parish, that professional or high level amateur performers were actually much better than non-performers at subsuming their personalities to the task at hand, and at allowing the liturgical music to be about itself, and not about them or their rendition of it.
    I thought it might have been because they had other performing outlets, and didn't need the ego-stroking that seemed to be the reason some psalmists had offered their services.
    Sorry about the OT, Milord Melo
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the world)
  • francis
    with the added dimension of a deep spiritual understanding of the liturgical drama

INDISPENSABLE ATTRIBUTE! If they don't have this, do not consider them for the job of DoM, organist or anything else in the church music category, or you will be sorry.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    G, What OT? I never get paid for overtime!;-)
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Having other outlets is good for one's sanity, G, but there's also an attitude among giggers professionals that one has a responsibility to serve others. This can sometimes come across as humility. ;-)
  • dad29
    professional or high level amateur performers were actually much better than non-performers at subsuming their personalities to the task at hand

Their training in choral skills was very solid. The higher-level amateurs and professional singers understand the concept of "chorus." In contrast, I've seen low-level amateurs scream their lungs out (badly, too) b/c they think that's what choral singers do. It's enough to make one a Methodist JW or something.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Serious music training involves almost as much subtraction as it does addition. For singers, possibly more.
  • dad29
    I must disagree with the under-tow of notion here that 'recital quality' excellence is out of place in the performance of liturgical organ music in the service of the liturgy.

To be clear, that is not what I said, nor would I imply that.

In a nutshell, and possibly exaggerated for the sake of the argument, the recitalist can play whatever and whenever he wants. The CHURCH organist operates under restraints, not only as to music selection, but also as to when, during the Mass, one can play.

This restraint applies to singers, choirs, and celebrants, mutatis mutandis.
  • CharlesW
    Given the cheapness with which many Catholic parishes operate, you probably wont hear a recital quality organist in most places to begin with. More like aunt Edna on the mighty Allen. A parish that has a good quality organist should be grateful. I think there are fewer people studying that instrument these days.
    I don't really find that to be true. Actually, there are a number of good organists coming out of conservatories these days, relative to the number of churches that WANT an organist and not a praise band.

If anything, there might be an over supply. The competition is pretty fierce. IMHO it's a fallacy that there are not enough organ students to go around.

I was reading in a bulletin for one of the previously discussed jobs that was posted here that over 50 people sent resumes in for this particular position. Sure, out of 50 maybe 10 or 15 are utterly unqualified, but even if only 10 are actually qualified for the position, it's hardly the case that places have to go around begging to find an organist. Now if you want it for free, well that's another story.
  • CharlesW
    Depends on where you are. Organists are plentiful in my area because of the nearness of 4 college organ departments. Not so in more remote areas. But do Catholic churches pay enough to attract them? I know a number of Catholic organists who have never worked in a Catholic parish. The pay is too small. You are right about the praise bands.
    Actually, correct that - I just read this weeks bulletin for that place and the rector said that 65 people had sent resumes.

Anyhow, yes, I agree that remote areas are another story. I guess I'm speaking as one in a major urban area in the northeast.