Church's document on Organ solo at the Funeral Mass
  • miacoyne
    Where can I find a citation of the church's document on Funeral music that prohibits organ solo? Even if it may not apply to OF Mass strictly, I think it's good to know.

Thank you.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Musicam Sacram.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    MJM is correct. It's specifically mentioned in Musicam Sacram:

66. The playing of these same instruments as solos is not permitted in Advent, Lent, during the Sacred Triduum and in the Offices and Masses of the Dead.

See more at: http://www.adoremus.org/MusicamSacram.html#sthash.1PFbUVB0.dpuf
  • G
    i could be wrong, (I don't have a copy of it, ) but I believe I was told a more recent document, the Ceremonial of Bishops, relaxes the prohibition concerning Advent and reaffirms it for Lent and Masses for the Dead.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 1miacoyne
  • chonakchonak
    Indeed, that's what MS says.

Is it the general practice at funerals to avoid organ solos? If I remember right, organists often play during some of the ritual actions of funerals.
  • chonakchonak
    The Ceremonial maintains the restrtiction on All Souls (#397). In Advent, organ music is to be "marked with ... moderation" (#236). The restriction is maintained in Lent (#252) and funerals (#824).
    Thanked by 1miacoyne
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Th funerals I've played for have always had singing during those ritual actions, and silence for some of the shorter ones such as the incensing of the casket, etc.
  • miacoyne
    Thank you. I should have looked at the musicam sacram. I just looked at GIRM and couldn't find it. Ordering a copy of the Ceremonial of Bishops. I don't think there's a free online copy.